Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

#28 Prospect - Aaron Wirsch

#28 Prospect - Aaron Wirsch

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » March 17th, 2011, 11:37 pm

http://orioles-nation.com/?p=9351

The Orioles’ 7th round draft pick in 2009, Aaron Wirsch made his debut with the GCL Orioles the same year, throwing 16.2 innings with a 2.16 ERA and 18 strikeouts. Joe Jordan said “I wish we could sign five every year just like him."

An oblique injury kept Wirsch in extended spring training and prevented him from opening 2010 in Delmarva's rotation, as he should have. As a result, Wirsch was forced to return to the GCL, where he pitched just 8.1 innings. With one week left in the regular season he made the trip up to Aberdeen in order to make one start, where he pitched 3 innings. Like many other 2009 draftees Wirsch's season was taken away by an injury and set him back a year.

Full top 50 list
28. Aaron Wirsch
29. Matt Bywater
30. Luis Lebron
31. Luis Noel
32. Tim Berry
33. Jaime Esquivel
34. Michael Ohlman
35. Rick Zagone
36. Ashur Tolliver
37. Wynston Sawyer
38. Brenden Webb
39. Troy Patton
40. Eddie Gamboa
41. Chorye Spoone
42. Brandon Waring
43. Greg Miclat
44. Jake Cowan
45. Ronnie Welty
46. Kyle Hudson
47. Sebastian Vader
48. Jarret Martin
49. Dudley Leonora
50. Justin Dalles
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: #28 Prospect - Aaron Wirsch

PostPost #2 by Don » March 19th, 2011, 3:51 pm

Alot of his promise will be built on staying healthy and clearing up a few minor mechanical issues. I think it is clean, but could smooth out some of his issues with added growth and maturity. Some extra pounds might help ease the delivery, but there is a great deal of upside. If I had my choice between him and Coffey, Wirsch might have slightly a smaller ceiling, which is why I think the 20-30 range is appropriate at this time
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

Return to Minor Leagues