Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Josh Hamilton to O's

Re: Josh Hamilton to O's

PostPost #16 by ofahn » October 17th, 2012, 12:36 pm

MikeNewcomb92 wrote:
Absolutely that would be ideal, but he would prolly want 4 years from what experts are saying.

He may get an offer of four or more years, but that's not a sure thing.

I think a lot of teams are going to look at Texas' offer. They know him best. If the Rangers offer him three then I could see other teams offering more money per year, but not many more GUARANTEED years.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #17 by DashingDave314 » October 17th, 2012, 12:38 pm

MikeNewcomb92 wrote:
43 hrs and 128rbi and a 285 BA is not decling most hr and rbi hes ever had

Also his highest K% ever and his second lowest batting average. Extremely inconsistent player. Not to mention his defense is horrible. RBI's are a meaningless stat. Too many issues.
DashingDave314
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #18 by DashingDave314 » October 17th, 2012, 12:41 pm

ofahn wrote:
He may get an offer of four or more years, but that's not a sure thing.

I think a lot of teams are going to look at Texas' offer. They know him best. If the Rangers offer him three then I could see other teams offering more money per year, but not many more GUARANTEED years.

Toronto and Boston are two teams who I am all but sure would offer him around 5 years regardless. What do we do when Hamilton has his three cold months during the year? He's really good when he's hot, but man, when he's cold he's pathetic (see: end of this year).
DashingDave314
DSL Orioles

PostPost #19 by ofahn » October 17th, 2012, 12:49 pm

DashingDave314 wrote:
Toronto and Boston are two teams who I am all but sure would offer him around 5 years regardless. What do we do when Hamilton has his three cold months during the year? He's really good when he's hot, but man, when he's cold he's pathetic (see: end of this year).

First, please understand that I AM NOT advocating that we sign him. Second, I would be very surprised to see Boston sign him for anything beyond three years. They just hit the reset button this summer to get out from under two of the last stupid contracts they gave out.

I would also be surprised to see Toronto chase him. Their problems involve PITCHING the ball, not HITTING it.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #20 by DashingDave314 » October 17th, 2012, 12:54 pm

ofahn wrote:
First, please understand that I AM NOT advocating that we sign him. Second, I would be very surprised to see Boston sign him for anything beyond three years. They just hit the reset button this summer to get out from under two of the last stupid contracts they gave out.

I would also be surprised to see Toronto chase him. Their problems involve PITCHING the ball, not HITTING it.

No, Toronto's problems involve nobody being able to stay healthy. And believe me, Boston would sign him. I'm not saying it would be wise for them to sign him, but they're under a ton of pressure right now. Wouldn't surprise me at all if they overpaid for him.
DashingDave314
DSL Orioles

PostPost #21 by Matt P » October 17th, 2012, 12:54 pm

ofahn wrote:
I agree; but do you see that as a prudent move or are you frustrated that we aren't willing to pay that kind of money?

I don't really care. I know it's not going to happen so I don't waste time thinking about it lol.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #22 by ofahn » October 17th, 2012, 12:54 pm

DashingDave314 wrote:Wouldn't surprise me at all if they overpaid for him.

It would me.........
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #23 by DashingDave314 » October 17th, 2012, 1:03 pm

ofahn wrote:
It would me.........

Wouldn't surprise me if they didn't either. Depends on how much temptation Ben Cherington can resist. Cause you know he's going to be under pressure to sign big names.
DashingDave314
DSL Orioles

PostPost #24 by ofahn » October 17th, 2012, 1:12 pm

DashingDave314 wrote:
Wouldn't surprise me if they didn't either. Depends on how much temptation Ben Cherington can resist. Cause you know he's going to be under pressure to sign big names.

I honestly think they want to start fresh. They need to build a core in that clubhouse before they starting adding dominant new personalities into it. For them to have cleaned house like they did, OWNERSHIP had to have learned a lesson. That takes some of the pressure off of Cherington.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #25 by MikeNewcomb92 » October 17th, 2012, 1:51 pm

The only teams in the race for Josh right now are the Rangers and the Brewers, deciding factor being the number of guaranteed years,. This Boston and Toronto talk is irrelevant, Red Sox are done spending money on big contracts they are focusing on their farm system and front office. Back to the topic at hand, Josh Hamilton and the Orioles, I think he is going to have a similar year to this past year then I believe he will start to decline, but decline for him is better then most hitters on our team right now so I think the risk is worth the reward.
MikeNewcomb92
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 2

PostPost #26 by ofahn » October 17th, 2012, 2:00 pm

MikeNewcomb92 wrote:The only teams in the race for Josh right now are the Rangers and the Brewers, deciding factor being the number of guaranteed years,. This Boston and Toronto talk is irrelevant, Red Sox are done spending money on big contracts they are focusing on their farm system and front office. Back to the topic at hand, Josh Hamilton and the Orioles, I think he is going to have a similar year to this past year then I believe he will start to decline, but decline for him is better then most hitters on our team right now so I think the risk is worth the reward.

If the Rangers essentially snub him I believe he will be on a mission to prove them wrong. If he would be willing to accept a 3 yr 70 to 75M contract with the third year vesting on ABs then I think which ever team signs him will get a bargain. Does anyone believe that PA would authorize that kind of money without taking it from the farm system or other places in the ML payroll?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #27 by MikeNewcomb92 » October 17th, 2012, 2:16 pm

ofahn wrote:
If the Rangers essentially snub him I believe he will be on a mission to prove them wrong. If he would be willing to accept a 3 yr 70 to 75M contract with the third year vesting on ABs then I think which ever team signs him will get a bargain. Does anyone believe that PA would authorize that kind of money without taking it from the farm system or other places in the ML payroll?

I dont think he will, but I think it would be an investment that would bring him so serious cash. Bring more fans to the park, he is a great guy that will bring alot to the community and the fans. obviously other then the great skills he would bring. I dont think money is the issue, PA said he wanted to let the baseball people handle the baseball related issues and i think Dan Duquette knows what hes doing so whatever he does ill be happy with.
MikeNewcomb92
DSL Orioles

PostPost #28 by Matt P » October 17th, 2012, 3:50 pm

MikeNewcomb92 wrote:
I dont think he will, but I think it would be an investment that would bring him so serious cash. Bring more fans to the park, he is a great guy that will bring alot to the community and the fans. obviously other then the great skills he would bring. I dont think money is the issue, PA said he wanted to let the baseball people handle the baseball related issues and i think Dan Duquette knows what hes doing so whatever he does ill be happy with.

Wait, did you just call Josh Hamilton a great guy? Or, am I misreading?
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #29 by A_K » October 17th, 2012, 4:12 pm

I don't think whether a player is or isn't perceived as a "good guy" should ever enter into a personnel decision, but to me suggesting that Hamilton *isn't* a good guy is pretty confusing. He's had a very public struggle with addiction. The fact that he's had issues with substance abuse says nothing about his character; his willingness to discuss it publicly and to be honest about his personal demons on the other hand says a great deal.

That said, this team shouldn't be shopping at the top shelf of the free agent market, whether that's for Hamilton or anyone else.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #30 by MikeNewcomb92 » October 17th, 2012, 4:56 pm

Matt P wrote:Wait, did you just call Josh Hamilton a great guy? Or, am I misreading?

Yeah he is a great guy why wouldn't he be?
MikeNewcomb92
DSL Orioles

PreviousNext

Return to Baltimore Orioles