Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Josh Hamilton to O's

Josh Hamilton to O's

PostPost #1 by MikeNewcomb92 » October 17th, 2012, 9:38 am

I would like to hear people opinion of having the Orioles pursue Josh Hamilton as a staple in LF and a middle of the order big bat. I feel like Hamilton would be a great fir for the Orioles, not only because we are in need of a everyday left fielder but that BIG bat that we can count on to drive in some serious runs. Let me know what you guys think about Josh.
MikeNewcomb92
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 2

Re: Josh Hamilton to O's

PostPost #2 by DashingDave314 » October 17th, 2012, 9:59 am

MikeNewcomb92 wrote:I would like to hear people opinion of having the Orioles pursue Josh Hamilton as a staple in LF and a middle of the order big bat. I feel like Hamilton would be a great fir for the Orioles, not only because we are in need of a everyday left fielder but that BIG bat that we can count on to drive in some serious runs. Let me know what you guys think about Josh.

No. I'd rather the Orioles resign McLouth and/or get someone like BJ Upton or Shin-Soo Choo. I think what the Orioles need is a real leadoff hitter with speed. McLouth could fit in that role, but I still have questions about his durability. If nothing else, Choo would be a nice one year rental while we wait for Avery and Hoes to develop.
DashingDave314
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #3 by MikeNewcomb92 » October 17th, 2012, 10:08 am

But I feel like Nick Markakis can be our leadoff man, he will be healthy and he lead the league in BA after the all-star break at the leadoff spot. I think Josh will be able to give us the big bat we need, because Chris Davis and Mark Reynolds arent going to bring that for us, they strike out way to much to give them big RBI chances.
MikeNewcomb92
DSL Orioles

PostPost #4 by Matt P » October 17th, 2012, 12:02 pm

It's not going to happen.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #5 by MikeNewcomb92 » October 17th, 2012, 12:08 pm

I didn't say it wouldn't I just feel that it should and seeing if peoples opinions agree with me or where they stand.
MikeNewcomb92
DSL Orioles

PostPost #6 by ofahn » October 17th, 2012, 12:10 pm

Matt P wrote:It's not going to happen.

I'm curious as to why you feel that way. This isn't a challenge because I feel the same way, but I'll defer my reasoning until I read your response.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #7 by ofahn » October 17th, 2012, 12:12 pm

MikeNewcomb92 wrote:I didn't say it wouldn't I just feel that it should and seeing if peoples opinions agree with me or where they stand.

Mike,

I'm curious as to whether you have considered the amount of risk involved in taking on a long term contract with him.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by Matt P » October 17th, 2012, 12:13 pm

ofahn wrote:
I'm curious as to why you feel that way. This isn't a challenge because I feel the same way, but I'll defer my reasoning until I read your response.

To much money. If they wouldn't give Fielder big money and a long term contract at age 27 (going into his age 28 season) they aren't going to give Hamilton big money at age 31 (heading into his age 32 season) and a long term contract.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #9 by ofahn » October 17th, 2012, 12:22 pm

Matt P wrote:
To much money. If they wouldn't give Fielder big money and a long term contract at age 27 (going into his age 28 season) they aren't going to give Hamilton big money at age 31 (heading into his age 32 season) and a long term contract.

I agree; but do you see that as a prudent move or are you frustrated that we aren't willing to pay that kind of money?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by DashingDave314 » October 17th, 2012, 12:23 pm

MikeNewcomb92 wrote:But I feel like Nick Markakis can be our leadoff man, he will be healthy and he lead the league in BA after the all-star break at the leadoff spot. I think Josh will be able to give us the big bat we need, because Chris Davis and Mark Reynolds arent going to bring that for us, they strike out way to much to give them big RBI chances.

Josh Hamilton still strikes out quite a bit. 25% K Rate is still pretty bad. Declining stats not a good sign. He'll cost too much, and we will regret signing him within 3 years.
DashingDave314
DSL Orioles

PostPost #11 by ofahn » October 17th, 2012, 12:25 pm

DashingDave314 wrote:He'll cost too much, and we will regret signing him within 3 years.

If we could sign him for three years would you be interested?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #12 by MikeNewcomb92 » October 17th, 2012, 12:28 pm

ofahn wrote:
Mike,

I'm curious as to whether you have considered the amount of risk involved in taking on a long term contract with him.

I didn't put to much thought on that fact, and I see where your coming from on that subject. But I feel like he could live up to a 3 or 4 year contract and I think he is worth the money. I the past 5 years he is averaging a .305 BA, 154 hits, 28hrs, 101Rbi, 46BB, and 111k's. If he can give us what he have us the past year we are a much better lineup, he helps out pretty much everyone in our lineup like Miguel Cabrera did to no name Tigers hitters. And assuming his play isn't at this level the next two or three years I don't feel like he will make a drastic drop, not enough to not be worth the money we pay him.
MikeNewcomb92
DSL Orioles

PostPost #13 by MikeNewcomb92 » October 17th, 2012, 12:31 pm

DashingDave314 wrote:
Josh Hamilton still strikes out quite a bit. 25% K Rate is still pretty bad. Declining stats not a good sign. He'll cost too much, and we will regret signing him within 3 years.

43 hrs and 128rbi and a 285 BA is not decling most hr and rbi hes ever had
MikeNewcomb92
DSL Orioles

PostPost #14 by MikeNewcomb92 » October 17th, 2012, 12:31 pm

ofahn wrote:
If we could sign him for three years would you be interested?

Absolutely that would be ideal, but he would prolly want 4 years from what experts are saying.
MikeNewcomb92
DSL Orioles

PostPost #15 by DashingDave314 » October 17th, 2012, 12:34 pm

ofahn wrote:

Hamilton for 3 years? Heck yes. But that's not happening.
DashingDave314
DSL Orioles

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles