Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Prospects in ST

Prospects in ST

PostPost #1 by Shorebirdfan » March 12th, 2011, 9:50 pm

I'll start by saying I clearly understand that ST stats are just that. For a player like Vlad or Reynolds, they mean almost nothing. For them it is more about getting reps and getting the feel back. For prospects, not slated to make the club, I feel they mean a lot more. This is their opportunity to show how ready they are (or are not) and make a case for mid season injury call ups. To this point, I see three prospects that have excelled beyond what we would have thought. They are in no particular order

1. Zach Britton - 9IP 0ER
2. Ryan Adams - 7/14 .500 BA 2 HR, 6 RBI
3. Joe Mahoney - 7/17 .412 BA 3 extra base hits

Obviously Roberts injury status will impact 2B decisions, but I'd love to hear everyone's opinion on what the club should do with these guys. I'm of the opinion that despite their performances, it should remain the minors for all. If Roberts can't come North I'm warming to the idea of letting Ryan play 2nd even with Harris and Andino as options. Kid simply keeps hitting and showing pop.

Just want to throw in that it is nice to talk about guys showing themselves ready for the next level and having no place to put them.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

Re: Prospects in ST

PostPost #2 by Jordan Tuwiner » March 12th, 2011, 11:43 pm

Shorebirdfan wrote:I'll start by saying I clearly understand that ST stats are just that. For a player like Vlad or Reynolds, they mean almost nothing. For them it is more about getting reps and getting the feel back. For prospects, not slated to make the club, I feel they mean a lot more. This is their opportunity to show how ready they are (or are not) and make a case for mid season injury call ups. To this point, I see three prospects that have excelled beyond what we would have thought. They are in no particular order

1. Zach Britton - 9IP 0ER
2. Ryan Adams - 7/14 .500 BA 2 HR, 6 RBI
3. Joe Mahoney - 7/17 .412 BA 3 extra base hits

Obviously Roberts injury status will impact 2B decisions, but I'd love to hear everyone's opinion on what the club should do with these guys. I'm of the opinion that despite their performances, it should remain the minors for all. If Roberts can't come North I'm warming to the idea of letting Ryan play 2nd even with Harris and Andino as options. Kid simply keeps hitting and showing pop.

Just want to throw in that it is nice to talk about guys showing themselves ready for the next level and having no place to put them.

Even if there was a rotation spot for Britton I'd send him back to Norfolk. Unless you have a guy like Strasburg I believe you should always give a pitcher at least 30 AAA starts. Look at the success the Rays have had developing pitchers by following that rule.

As much as I'd like to see Adams in the majors, I think at the minimum he gets 100-200 at-bats in Triple-A before being called up (assuming he plays well).

If Lee's out for the first month or so I think we'll see Scott/Fox at first. But if Mahoney picks up from last year he could make a case for a big league job.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #3 by Jordan Tuwiner » March 12th, 2011, 11:45 pm

Oh, and more on prospects in ST: Mikey Planeta and Brian Ward will play in tomorrow's Orioles intra-squad game. Nice to see some A-ballers get in on the big league action.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #4 by Don » March 14th, 2011, 2:23 pm

AP Wire has said that Mahoney was optioned to the minors. It is slightly sad because I feel this under rated guy is going to be a cornerstone one day. I think his success in spring training will give him even more confidence to tear the Eastern League a new one this year.

I would like to see him in Norfolk, but I think he needs the everyday at bat and Bell/Snyder will not allow him to grow as a proffessional. Unless they want to test him out in left field, he is going to Bowie.

Between him and Ryan Adams, I think I want to rub it in the noses of those minor league ranking forums. Simply because you are not a bonus baby or first round draft pick, it does not mean that you cannot play this game.

If Roberts is delayed, I know it is not going to Adams, but he is my choice to split time with Izzy.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #5 by bird's fan » March 14th, 2011, 6:02 pm

Our Minor League guys open play on Wed, 3/16/11, against Boston.Will there be any udates to the A leagues games in Ft Myer, Fla, if not, will there be any postings of these games at all. I'm interested in following these players to see how they are doing. We have some very good talent and it will be interesting to see how they match up with these other clubs.
bird's fan
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #6 by Jordan Tuwiner » March 14th, 2011, 8:55 pm

bird's fan wrote:Our Minor League guys open play on Wed, 3/16/11, against Boston.Will there be any udates to the A leagues games in Ft Myer, Fla, if not, will there be any postings of these games at all. I'm interested in following these players to see how they are doing. We have some very good talent and it will be interesting to see how they match up with these other clubs.

I am in contact with multiple players and will have reports from the games.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Return to Minor Leagues