Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Duquette: "We need to continue to look for a No. 1 starter"

Duquette: "We need to continue to look for a No. 1 starter"

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » October 13th, 2012, 4:30 pm

https://twitter.com/Britt_Ghiroli/statu ... 7880020992

Duquette: "We need to continue to look for a No. 1 starter. But we might have a couple right here." #Orioles are hopeful in Gausman/Bundy

Bundy could be just that very, very soon.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: Duquette: "We need to continue to look for a No. 1 starter"

PostPost #2 by Matt P » October 13th, 2012, 9:05 pm

He's not wrong but I just don't think it is the #1 priority.

We saw this year just what a dominant bullpen can do. A #1 starter helps all of them rest more and helps the rest of the rotation without a doubt but the biggest problem with the team this year was the inconsistencies of the lineup.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #3 by Old Sneakers » October 14th, 2012, 1:08 am

To me a Number 1 starter would be Justin Verlander, CC Sabathia, Cole Hammels and a few others...

Yes we certainly have room for that on this team. But we need five durable, inning eating pitchers that can go four or five times through an order without getting blasted.

We also "need " Matusz, Britton and Arrieta living up to their potential or moved in favor of those who capable. Matusz the 4th pick in the draft a few years ago has been the biggest let down this team has had. Arrieta and Britton are not that far behind. We can find better relievers than Matusz or Arrieta with lower salaries. Tillman is another talent that is worrisome. Yes, he had a fine run in the second half of the year. However, we need sustained results. My hope is that DD keeps focus and continues improving our farm system.

We also need a legit lead off hitter and a working solution in LF. Possibly both are the same if LJ Hoes or Xavier Avery can fill that void. I am not in favor of another year of injuries with Nolan Reimold, power is fine but age, durability and ability to play in the field matter more.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #4 by Matt P » October 14th, 2012, 8:49 am

Old Sneakers wrote:To me a Number 1 starter would be Justin Verlander, CC Sabathia, Cole Hammels and a few others...

Yes we certainly have room for that on this team. But we need five durable, inning eating pitchers that can go four or five times through an order without getting blasted.

We also "need " Matusz, Britton and Arrieta living up to their potential or moved in favor of those who capable. Matusz the 4th pick in the draft a few years ago has been the biggest let down this team has had. Arrieta and Britton are not that far behind. We can find better relievers than Matusz or Arrieta with lower salaries. Tillman is another talent that is worrisome. Yes, he had a fine run in the second half of the year. However, we need sustained results. My hope is that DD keeps focus and continues improving our farm system.

We also need a legit lead off hitter and a working solution in LF. Possibly both are the same if LJ Hoes or Xavier Avery can fill that void. I am not in favor of another year of injuries with Nolan Reimold, power is fine but age, durability and ability to play in the field matter more.

I highly doubt Matusz or Arrieta will make more than 1 million next season.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #5 by ofahn » October 14th, 2012, 5:50 pm

Old Sneakers wrote:To me a Number 1 starter would be Justin Verlander, CC Sabathia, Cole Hammels and a few others...

Would you consider Peavy a number one?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #6 by Old Sneakers » October 15th, 2012, 3:31 am

ofahn wrote:
Would you consider Peavy a number one?

On this club, yes you betcha!
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

PostPost #7 by Old Sneakers » October 15th, 2012, 3:33 am

Matt P wrote:I highly doubt Matusz or Arrieta will make more than 1 million next season.

I don't think that they are, but I do think they show a poor investment for the 4th pick in the draft and an a heavily over slotted 2nd round picks as relievers.

Both of these guys need to be starters or go IMO
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

PostPost #8 by Matt P » October 15th, 2012, 9:42 am

Old Sneakers wrote:
I don't think that they are, but I do think they show a poor investment for the 4th pick in the draft and an a heavily over slotted 2nd round picks as relievers.

Both of these guys need to be starters or go IMO

I don't think they should be gone just because they haven't lived up to the hype. If Dan and Buck think they can contribute to a championship caliber team keep them. If they can be used in a trade to acquire someone who can be a key contributor to a championship caliber team trade them for him. I don't think they should be gone if they decide to keep them in the bullpen just because they were once hyped up as future TOR starters.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #9 by LA Detective » October 15th, 2012, 4:44 pm

I would like to see a Roy Halladay type of trade from a few years ago but I really dont see that out there. There are very few true #1 types and the ones that you could list their teams wont give them up..

We may see another Hammel type of trade where we get a quality SP that is unsung.

I think it is most likely we trade to get a positon player and sign J. Saunders or simular and we just go with our depth. I think Hammel is close taking that step to being a No. 1b...Maybe not as dominating as the top 5 or so pitchers in the game but 215+ Ip and around 3 ERA. Thats why I would like to see him extended now and get him an extra 2 years for a much lower price than if he would get if he has the kind of year he was on pace for this year before the knee problem.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #10 by Jordan Tuwiner » October 15th, 2012, 6:17 pm

LA Detective wrote:We may see another Hammel type of trade where we get a quality SP that is unsung.

That is what I am expecting as well.

I think we will see lots of trades where the fans go "what?" at first but then remember the last time they said that was when DD traded for Hammel.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #11 by ofahn » October 15th, 2012, 7:17 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:That is what I am expecting as well.

I think we will see lots of trades where the fans go "what?" at first but then remember the last time they said that was when DD traded for Hammel.

What would be your opinion of trading our comp balance pick to the White Sox for Peavy and 2M? If the Sox simply decline his option they will have to pay him 4M and would almost certainly gain a draft pick by making a qualified offer. That pick would only be about ten or so spots above what we could offer him and they would save 2M to boot.

If Peavy becomes a "free" agent then he could sign with anyone and he would probably command 50M over three years. We would get him for one year at 20M and then have the option of trying to keep him, getting our own draft pick, or walking away from the risk.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #12 by Old Sneakers » October 15th, 2012, 8:18 pm

Peavy would be a welcome addition to the team. But let the buyer beware. He's really not a lock or a true #1 type

Just for reference~ http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/p/peavyja01.shtml

Also I would like to see the team find a reliable Left Hander for the rotation.

However, if it's a big name from free agency I would try for Zack Greinke. Significantly fewer innings on the arm and very comparable.

Reference~ http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/g/greinza01.shtml?utm_campaign=Linker&utm_source=direct&utm_medium=linker-www.typepad.com
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

PostPost #13 by Matt P » October 15th, 2012, 8:30 pm

Why do you want Peavy so bad? He threw 100 more innings last season than in 2011 and is injury prone. He was great when he was in the NL pitching his home games at Petco but in Chicago he hasn't been a #1.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #14 by Old Sneakers » October 15th, 2012, 9:07 pm

I'm not sold on Peavy. Apart from him having a good number of strikeouts, I think he's an injury waiting to happen. Greinke, on the other hand I would be ecstatic to see on the team.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

PostPost #15 by Matt P » October 15th, 2012, 10:03 pm

I'd love me some Greinke I just don't think it's realistic.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles