Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Could the Orioles go with a 6-man rotation next season?

Re: Could the Orioles go with a 6-man rotation next season?

PostPost #16 by Old Sneakers » October 14th, 2012, 12:58 am

ofahn wrote:
I'll ask you to consider this: How many quality fifth starters are there in baseball? How many quality sixth starters do you think there will be? I see it as easier to find FOUR quality SPs than FIVE or SIX.

Yes finding four is easier to find. no argument there whatsoever. The issue is durability. Say we did a four man rotation. How long before arms started falling off that the disabled list was pages long? Then what pitcher in their right mind that is major league worthy would ever sign for this team?
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #17 by osforlife » October 14th, 2012, 11:58 am

Matt P wrote:
From all my reading on Bundy I would think he would be the one Orioles pitcher that would have the best chance of success in a 4 man rotation.

Yes he does have quite a workout regime but he was in a 6 man rotation this year. It would be hard to transistion to a 4.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #18 by ofahn » October 14th, 2012, 5:48 pm

osforlife wrote:Yes he does have quite a workout regime but he was in a 6 man rotation this year. It would be hard to transistion to a 4.

The only reason he was in a six man rotation was that the team wanted him to have some innings available in September.

It will be interesting to see if the team will have him in their plans for next season. IF they do, and he becomes dominant, they will have a "Strasburg controversy" of their own. Personally, I would prefer to have him pitch as far as he can into games next season at AAA. When he runs out of the innings they're going to allow him then they can shut him down, but it won't affect the ML rotation which will be pretty full, anyway. I see Bundy as the exception to the "last season's innings plus 20%" rule. They should allow him to pitch as much as he can until they see him getting tired. If they do so he'll be ready for a full ML season in 2014.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #19 by osforlife » October 14th, 2012, 8:34 pm

ofahn wrote:
The only reason he was in a six man rotation was that the team wanted him to have some innings available in September.

It will be interesting to see if the team will have him in their plans for next season. IF they do, and he becomes dominant, they will have a "Strasburg controversy" of their own. Personally, I would prefer to have him pitch as far as he can into games next season at AAA. When he runs out of the innings they're going to allow him then they can shut him down, but it won't affect the ML rotation which will be pretty full, anyway. I see Bundy as the exception to the "last season's innings plus 20%" rule. They should allow him to pitch as much as he can until they see him getting tired. If they do so he'll be ready for a full ML season in 2014.

I'd like him to get one full season at AAA under his belt. We'll have plenty of SP depth ahead of him and there is no need to rush him.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #20 by Matt P » October 14th, 2012, 9:00 pm

osforlife wrote:I'd like him to get one full season at AAA under his belt. We'll have plenty of SP depth ahead of him and there is no need to rush him.

AAA is not as important as AA.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #21 by ofahn » October 14th, 2012, 9:37 pm

Matt P wrote:AAA is not as important as AA.

No arguments, but I seriously doubt that the team will allow him to throw 180+ innings next season. That means that we either leave a hole in our rotation sometime in September or we park him in AAA for the year.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #22 by Matt P » October 15th, 2012, 9:29 am

ofahn wrote:
No arguments, but I seriously doubt that the team will allow him to throw 180+ innings next season. That means that we either leave a hole in our rotation sometime in September or we park him in AAA for the year.

Why not start him in AA on a program similar to the one he was on this year (the 3ip starts, 4ip starts, etc.)?
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #23 by ofahn » October 15th, 2012, 11:27 am

Matt P wrote:
Why not start him in AA on a program similar to the one he was on this year (the 3ip starts, 4ip starts, etc.)?

Because I think he would become bored and frustrated with competition at that level. He still needs to sharpen his secondary pitches and, IMO, he will see more experienced hitting at AAA. I'd like to give him a shot at making the ML rotation, but I see the team as limiting his innings next season. If that's their intention then he shouldn't take the spot of someone like Saunders if his season will be done in early or mid September.

Allow him to pitch without any irregular limitations in a five man rotation in AAA and tell him that he can earn a relief spot in Baltimore in September. He almost certainly won't like it, but he'll know what he's working towards.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #24 by Matt P » October 15th, 2012, 5:19 pm

ofahn wrote:
Because I think he would become bored and frustrated with competition at that level. He still needs to sharpen his secondary pitches and, IMO, he will see more experienced hitting at AAA. I'd like to give him a shot at making the ML rotation, but I see the team as limiting his innings next season. If that's their intention then he shouldn't take the spot of someone like Saunders if his season will be done in early or mid September.

Allow him to pitch without any irregular limitations in a five man rotation in AAA and tell him that he can earn a relief spot in Baltimore in September. He almost certainly won't like it, but he'll know what he's working towards.

You're right about more experienced players at AAA but there is usually more talent at AA than AAA. I'd rather see him go against top talent than go against 28 year old AAAA players.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #25 by ofahn » October 15th, 2012, 7:24 pm

Matt P wrote:You're right about more experienced players at AAA but there is usually more talent at AA than AAA. I'd rather see him go against top talent than go against 28 year old AAAA players.

True, it's not the same as the ML, but I think he would find it more challenging.

I'd love to let him pitch in the Pacific League for about three months and see how he does in those launching pads. If he can be dominant there he would be ML ready.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #26 by MikeNewcomb92 » October 19th, 2012, 8:03 pm

ofahn wrote:
Yes, it actually allows a SP to get into a better routine. Pitch, rest, throw on the side, rest, pitch. It worked very well for the league and this team for a LONG time. Earl Weaver used a nine man pitching staff. Since the pitcher hit in the nine hole he was able to carry eight players in his starting lineup and eight more on the bench. It was like having an entire second team.

Teams need to enforce better conditioning and more throwing for their SPs. You build a muscle by using it until it tires (and quitting at that point) NOT allowing it to atrophy.

Don't be surprised to see Texas go with a four man rotation in the next few seasons. Nolan Ryan is preparing their SPs in their system for it.

This is a brilliant idea sir, I really hope we can get this to work. The only thing that worries me is that these coaches have fallen away from the idea that pitchers should have 4 days between starts and I hope we can convince them to have a 4 man rotation it would be great.
MikeNewcomb92
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 2

PostPost #27 by MikeNewcomb92 » October 19th, 2012, 8:06 pm

ofahn wrote:
If we're going to obsessed with anything it should be off season training regimens, not pitch counts.

Amen to this good sir
MikeNewcomb92
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 2

PostPost #28 by LA Detective » October 19th, 2012, 8:25 pm

I would like to see Bundy get off to a slow pace innings wise with the idea he could pitch well into October and end in the 160 inning area. For such a young guy I think it would serve him well as he is still physically growing. It would also give us an option of a great addition to the staff if he is ready after Aug 1 or so..
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #29 by ofahn » October 19th, 2012, 11:03 pm

LA Detective wrote:I would like to see Bundy get off to a slow pace innings wise with the idea he could pitch well into October and end in the 160 inning area. For such a young guy I think it would serve him well as he is still physically growing. It would also give us an option of a great addition to the staff if he is ready after Aug 1 or so..

He chaffed at that routine this season and he didn't have any PROFESSIONAL experience. Now he's been to the ML. I don't see him as being happy about starting the season in extended ST or pitching three innings at a time.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #30 by birdwatcher55 » October 20th, 2012, 9:06 am

My six man proposal:
1. Chen
2. Tillman
3. Gonzo
4. Saunders
5. Hammel
6. Britton

8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11