Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Could the Orioles go with a 6-man rotation next season?

Could the Orioles go with a 6-man rotation next season?

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » October 12th, 2012, 8:38 pm

All of their starters pitched much better on six days rest, as Matt P noted.

A lot of their relievers can go multiple innings.

Would it work out? Probably. Would Buck do it? I do not think so.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: Could the Orioles go with a 6-man rotation next season?

PostPost #2 by ofahn » October 12th, 2012, 9:43 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:All of their starters pitched much better on six days rest, as Matt P noted.

A lot of their relievers can go multiple innings.

Would it work out? Probably. Would Buck do it? I do not think so.

I see that as a really bad idea. IMO we should be encouraging them to improve their stamina and moving to a six man rotation would actually degrade it. A SP should focus on exercising their legs and arms as much as possible. I'd rather see them go to a FOUR man rotation than a six.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #3 by Matt P » October 12th, 2012, 9:45 pm

ofahn wrote:
I see that as a really bad idea. IMO we should be encouraging them to improve their stamina and moving to a six man rotation would actually degrade it. A SP should focus on exercising their legs and arms as much as possible. I'd rather see them go to a FOUR man rotation than a six.

Any logic behind the four man rotation idea?
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #4 by ofahn » October 12th, 2012, 9:52 pm

Matt P wrote:Any logic behind the four man rotation idea?

Yes, it actually allows a SP to get into a better routine. Pitch, rest, throw on the side, rest, pitch. It worked very well for the league and this team for a LONG time. Earl Weaver used a nine man pitching staff. Since the pitcher hit in the nine hole he was able to carry eight players in his starting lineup and eight more on the bench. It was like having an entire second team.

Teams need to enforce better conditioning and more throwing for their SPs. You build a muscle by using it until it tires (and quitting at that point) NOT allowing it to atrophy.

Don't be surprised to see Texas go with a four man rotation in the next few seasons. Nolan Ryan is preparing their SPs in their system for it.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #5 by Matt P » October 12th, 2012, 10:01 pm

ofahn wrote:
Yes, it actually allows a SP to get into a better routine. Pitch, rest, throw on the side, rest, pitch. It worked very well for the league and this team for a LONG time. Earl Weaver used a nine man pitching staff. Since the pitcher hit in the nine hole he was able to carry eight players in his starting lineup and eight more on the bench. It was like having an entire second team.

Teams need to enforce better conditioning and more throwing for their SPs. You build a muscle by using it until it tires (and quitting at that point) NOT allowing it to atrophy.

Don't be surprised to see Texas go with a four man rotation in the next few seasons. Nolan Ryan is preparing their SPs in their system for it.

Thanks for sharing. Interesting idea.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #6 by Old Sneakers » October 12th, 2012, 11:23 pm

Honestly with all do respect to everyone here I strongly feel that the 5 man rotation is the way to go.

There are times when you can start a first rate long reliever for a turn or two through the rotation and go 6 man. However, I've not seen anyone trying to do this for any significant amount of time and have it work. Even then it's usually only best to do it when your starters are eating more innings than expected. Something this team hasn't had to deal with in a very long time.

Four man rotation, is IMO even worse. This club for years has struggled to develop pitching and it takes forever for it to succeed. Pitcher's shoulders, elbows and wrist are like tread on a tire. They only have so much.

Honestly with any rotation there is strength in numbers and though the farm system is in fair shape it's hardly overflowing with talent. Particularly with starting pitching. Picking up solid relievers is a far easier task.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #7 by ofahn » October 13th, 2012, 7:16 am

Old Sneakers wrote:Honestly with all do respect to everyone here I strongly feel that the 5 man rotation is the way to go.

There are times when you can start a first rate long reliever for a turn or two through the rotation and go 6 man. However, I've not seen anyone trying to do this for any significant amount of time and have it work. Even then it's usually only best to do it when your starters are eating more innings than expected. Something this team hasn't had to deal with in a very long time.

Four man rotation, is IMO even worse. This club for years has struggled to develop pitching and it takes forever for it to succeed. Pitcher's shoulders, elbows and wrist are like tread on a tire. They only have so much.

Honestly with any rotation there is strength in numbers and though the farm system is in fair shape it's hardly overflowing with talent. Particularly with starting pitching. Picking up solid relievers is a far easier task.

I'll ask you to consider this: How many quality fifth starters are there in baseball? How many quality sixth starters do you think there will be? I see it as easier to find FOUR quality SPs than FIVE or SIX.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by Matt P » October 13th, 2012, 11:52 am

ofahn wrote:
I'll ask you to consider this: How many quality fifth starters are there in baseball? How many quality sixth starters do you think there will be? I see it as easier to find FOUR quality SPs than FIVE or SIX.

I just don't think it's realistic in todays MLB with everyone obsessed with pitch counts and inning limits. I don't think they would go with a 6 man either but it would be something they may consider.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #9 by ofahn » October 13th, 2012, 12:07 pm

Matt P wrote:
I just don't think it's realistic in todays MLB with everyone obsessed with pitch counts and inning limits. I don't think they would go with a 6 man either but it would be something they may consider.

If we're going to obsessed with anything it should be off season training regimens, not pitch counts.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by Matt P » October 13th, 2012, 12:14 pm

ofahn wrote:
If we're going to obsessed with anything it should be off season training regimens, not pitch counts.

One would think that yet the majority of major league clubs all are obsessed with pitch counts.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #11 by ofahn » October 13th, 2012, 12:19 pm

Matt P wrote:
One would think that yet the majority of major league clubs all are obsessed with pitch counts.

Thinking outside the box usually gives you an edge for a few seasons in baseball.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #12 by LA Detective » October 13th, 2012, 1:15 pm

Im am from the days of a 4 man rotation and would love to see it but dont think it could happen in today's world. Of course if Texas does it and is successful we all missed out..

THis year showed how much of a grind and long haul it is. It is very rare to see a SP go from April thru late Oct and maintain. Is it becuase they are babied to much? maybe.

I do think thought that the Os have enough depth to slip in a 6th starter from time to time when the rotation is looking at 3 or 4 starts in a row on 4 days rest. I think we could condition them to do it on 4 days rest but not over load them several times in a row.. I believe at times a pitcher should go 120 pitches too but next game back off or an extra days rest... For me its all about conditioning them to push their abilities but not overload them which in most sports results in injuries/muscle fatigue.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #13 by osforlife » October 13th, 2012, 6:46 pm

I really don't think our pitchers could do a 4 man rotation. Especially Chen, Gonzalez, and Bundy. Chen has been working in a 6 man rotation all his life. Transiitoning to a 5 man is hard enough. Gonzalez has had endurance issues in the past and Bundy worked in a 6 man rotation this year. Tillman is very fragile too. I really don't see a 6 man either although our pitchers probably would put up better numbers and is much more ideal than a 4. Eventually, baseball is probably gonna get to that point though.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #14 by birdwatcher55 » October 13th, 2012, 8:13 pm

I like the idea (6-man rotation) personally because we have pitchers who seem to thrive on added rest and summers tend to be long and hot in Baltimore. Added to the fact that we have think outside the box management, then I could see this happening 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #15 by Matt P » October 13th, 2012, 9:07 pm

osforlife wrote:I really don't think our pitchers could do a 4 man rotation. Especially Chen, Gonzalez, and Bundy. Chen has been working in a 6 man rotation all his life. Transiitoning to a 5 man is hard enough. Gonzalez has had endurance issues in the past and Bundy worked in a 6 man rotation this year. Tillman is very fragile too. I really don't see a 6 man either although our pitchers probably would put up better numbers and is much more ideal than a 4. Eventually, baseball is probably gonna get to that point though.

From all my reading on Bundy I would think he would be the one Orioles pitcher that would have the best chance of success in a 4 man rotation.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles