Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Reynolds and McLouth want to return

Reynolds and McLouth want to return

PostPost #1 by Matt P » October 12th, 2012, 8:02 pm

Roch Kubatko ‏@masnRoch
Mclouth and reynolds both say they want to return next season. Reynolds says this is most fun he's had #orioles

I think Reynolds mentioning it's the most fun he's had is something a lot of us tend to overlook as we just look at statistics.

I say bring them both back.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

Re: Reynolds and McLouth want to return

PostPost #2 by Jordan Tuwiner » October 12th, 2012, 8:09 pm

Matt P wrote:I say bring them both back.

Me too.

Thought I really only want McLouth on a one or two year deal.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #3 by Matt P » October 12th, 2012, 8:30 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:Me too.

Thought I really only want McLouth on a one or two year deal.

One year with an option would be ideal IMO but if it takes two with an option I'd be fine with it.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #4 by Jordan Tuwiner » October 12th, 2012, 8:32 pm

Matt P wrote:
One year with an option would be ideal IMO but if it takes two with an option I'd be fine with it.

I'd be fine with that.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #5 by Matt P » October 12th, 2012, 9:06 pm

Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #6 by ofahn » October 12th, 2012, 9:27 pm

The decision on Reynolds may be the most difficult one the FO has to make this year. On one hand you have a 1B that has significantly improved on defense and may become above average to plus there by the end of next season. He is also very popular in the clubhouse and is an extremely team oriented player.

On the other hand you have a hitter finishing a sub par season with the bat for a 1B that cannot seem to overcome his flaws to become a hitter that can consistently manufacture runs.

Personally, I'd like to see him back IF he's willing to accept that he needs to SIGNIFICANTLY adjust his approach at the plate so he can be more CONSISTENTLY productive. My guess is the FO will evaluate whether they believe Chris Davis can become and average or better 1B this winter and whether Nolan Reimold will be ready to play next spring. If the answer to both of those questions are YES then I can see them allowing Reynolds to move on. When Reimold is healthy he's a more productive hitter than Reynolds.

We'll have to see how this plays out.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #7 by Matt P » October 12th, 2012, 9:38 pm

ofahn wrote:The decision on Reynolds may be the most difficult one the FO has to make this year. On one hand you have a 1B that has significantly improved on defense and may become above average to plus there by the end of next season. He is also very popular in the clubhouse and is an extremely team oriented player.

On the other hand you have a hitter finishing a sub par season with the bat for a 1B that cannot seem to overcome his flaws to become a hitter that can consistently manufacture runs.

Personally, I'd like to see him back IF he's willing to accept that he needs to SIGNIFICANTLY adjust his approach at the plate so he can be more CONSISTENTLY productive. My guess is the FO will evaluate whether they believe Chris Davis can become and average or better 1B this winter and whether Nolan Reimold will be ready to play next spring. If the answer to both of those questions are YES then I can see them allowing Reynolds to move on. When Reimold is healthy he's a more productive hitter than Reynolds.

We'll have to see how this plays out.

The problem is that nobody can predict a full season for Reimold.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by ofahn » October 12th, 2012, 9:58 pm

Matt P wrote:
The problem is that nobody can predict a full season for Reimold.

I ABSOLUTELY AGREE. That being said I wonder how much the 11M on Reynolds' contract will weigh on the FO's decision. If DD was serious about keeping next year's payroll at this year's level then you have to wonder if they would be willing to gamble on his healthy return. If he breaks down again they might feel that Hoes will be ready, or that they could find a RH DH without much trouble.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #9 by Matt P » October 12th, 2012, 10:03 pm

ofahn wrote:
I ABSOLUTELY AGREE. That being said I wonder how much the 11M on Reynolds' contract will weigh on the FO's decision. If DD was serious about keeping next year's payroll at this year's level then you have to wonder if they would be willing to gamble on his healthy return. If he breaks down again they might feel that Hoes will be ready, or that they could find a RH DH without much trouble.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

I would be shocked if they accepted the option. I expect a multi year deal gets worked out. I also expect the payroll to increase next season.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by ofahn » October 13th, 2012, 7:19 am

Matt P wrote:I also expect the payroll to increase next season.

I hope so. You would think that PA has learned that winning baseball puts fannies in he seats.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #11 by Matt P » October 13th, 2012, 11:53 am

ofahn wrote:
I hope so. You would think that PA has learned that winning baseball puts fannies in he seats.

I don't think Peter is the problem anymore. I think it's up to what DD and Buck want to do at this point.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #12 by ofahn » October 13th, 2012, 12:04 pm

Matt P wrote:
I don't think Peter is the problem anymore. I think it's up to what DD and Buck want to do at this point.

Angelo's will have a lot to say about the payroll.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #13 by Matt P » October 13th, 2012, 12:13 pm

ofahn wrote:
Angelo's will have a lot to say about the payroll.

Obviously, but he's spent in the past he just spent on the wrong players.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #14 by Jordan Tuwiner » October 13th, 2012, 1:29 pm

I think at this point Buck and DD are the first people who Angelos REALLY trusts with the team.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #15 by ofahn » October 13th, 2012, 1:39 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:I think at this point Buck and DD are the first people at Angelos REALLY trusts with the team.

Never was a truer statement ever uttered. POINTS!
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles