Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

2012 - The offense.

2012 - The offense.

PostPost #1 by Matt P » October 12th, 2012, 8:50 pm

We've had a few threads throughout the season discussing the ups and downs of the offense. Let's take a look at the season long totals.

Batting average - .247 (10th in AL)
On base percentage - .315 (10th in AL)
Slugging percentage - .417 (6th in AL)
On base + slugging - .728 (7th in AL)
Runs scored - 712 (9th in AL)
Home runs - 214 (2nd in AL)
Stolen bases - 58 (last in AL)
Doubles - 270 (tied for 7th in AL)
Double plays grounded into - 152 (2nd in AL)
Strikeouts - 1315 (3rd in AL)

Looking at the stats it proves that the offense as a whole was not good. If it wasn't for the HR they would not have made the playoffs. The weird part is that Hardy and Reynolds combined for 45 and one has to think if they are both back next year they combine for 55+. That being said, I don't think the HR is a guarantee to completely drop off next year.

They are set with all or nothing guys (Reynolds, Hardy, and Davis) and really just need 1 or 2 solid on base percentage guys. They desperately need to obtain a #3 or #4 hitter this off season and that should be the #1 priority.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

Re: 2012 - The offense.

PostPost #2 by OriolesRedskins28 » October 12th, 2012, 9:21 pm

More time with a healthy Markakis would help and if McLouth comes back and produces like he did this year that will help too. Machado should improve in his first full big league season (assuming he is the starting 3B next year), so the only thing missing is a second baseman. Can Ryan Flaherty be the guy? I certainly wouldn't bet on Brian Roberts making any impact next year.

What position will that #3/#4 hitter play? Who's likely to be available this offseason? I'm satisfied with the group that's in place outside of 2B.

This team's strength down the stretch was the defense and that looks like it could remain the same next year. The ALDS highlighted the all or nothing nature of the lineup but remember the effect of losing the team's most consistent hitter in Markakis. If Markakis is healthy, I have to think the series would have turned out differently.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #3 by OriolesRedskins28 » October 12th, 2012, 9:29 pm

Martin Prado would be a nice addition (solid OBP, consistent hitter, good defense at 2B) and was brought up in trade talks between the Braves and the O's last offseason.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #4 by ofahn » October 12th, 2012, 9:30 pm

Matt P wrote:On base percentage - .315 (10th in AL)

Strikeouts - 1315 (3rd in AL)

These two stats HAVE TO IMPROVE if we want to be certain we'll be a contender next year.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #5 by ofahn » October 12th, 2012, 9:31 pm

OriolesRedskins28 wrote:Martin Prado would be a nice addition (solid OBP, consistent hitter, good defense at 2B) and was brought up in trade talks between the Braves and the O's last offseason.

There's a good chance that the Braves will pencil him in as their 3B for next season. I'd be surprised to see him leave Atlanta unless they make a trade for a 3B.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Return to Baltimore Orioles