Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

What I like so far this spring?

What I like so far this spring?

PostPost #1 by Don » March 11th, 2011, 2:35 pm

1. Pitching overall. While I look past the stats, it is really the health and command from the starting five. The Bullpen has shown some stuff that could lessen some fans worries. It is a nice bonus that we can openly say Britton deserves strong consideration opening the season with the Orioles, but it will be realisitcally May 19th or later. Guys who were hurt are throwing and with some pop. Berken is at least showing that he is 100% and might start the season in Norfolk until he is back to form.

2. Ryan Adams - I said while he was in the AFL. He should be considered for at least the bench role with the Orioles. I am not saying his numbers suggest he is going to be the 2nd Baseman of the future, but he is better than people want to give him credit over the years. Seeing Brian Roberts was shut down, he should be going North as well.

3. Nolan Riemold - If spring can translate into Summer, who does not want to see him in left or DH every single day in the Orioles lineup.

4. Jake Fox - It is tough to swallow for him as the backup, but his bat should get him around with Derrick Lee most likely out the first month of the season.
User avatar
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 699
Joined: September 2010
Reputation Score: 25

Re: What I like so far this spring?

PostPost #2 by Jordan Tuwiner » March 11th, 2011, 3:31 pm

Don wrote:1. Pitching overall. While I look past the stats, it is really the health and command from the starting five. The Bullpen has shown some stuff that could lessen some fans worries. It is a nice bonus that we can openly say Britton deserves strong consideration opening the season with the Orioles, but it will be realistically May 19th or later. Guys who were hurt are throwing and with some pop. Berken is at least showing that he is 100% and might start the season in Norfolk until he is back to form.

Despite hes struggles I still see little chance Berken is sent to Norfolk. With the way he pitched last year I don't think they'd send him back down there.

Don wrote:2. Ryan Adams - I said while he was in the AFL. He should be considered for at least the bench role with the Orioles. I am not saying his numbers suggest he is going to be the 2nd Baseman of the future, but he is better than people want to give him credit over the years. Seeing Brian Roberts was shut down, he should be going North as well.

Agree on this one. I think it'd be best to see Adams at second over guys like Andino, Green or Izturis.

Don wrote:3. Nolan Riemold - If spring can translate into Summer, who does not want to see him in left or DH every single day in the Orioles lineup.

How is he going to DH? The Orioles didn't spend $8 million on Vlad for him to sit on the bench. No chance he's playing in the field.

Don wrote:4. Jake Fox - It is tough to swallow for him as the backup, but his bat should get him around with Derrick Lee most likely out the first month of the season.

I think Fox would get the nod over Tatum if they were to set the 25 man roster tomorrow.
User avatar
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 2588
Joined: September 2010
Location: Israel
Reputation Score: 57



Re: What I like so far this spring?

PostPost #3 by Don » March 11th, 2011, 3:50 pm

Don wrote:
3. Nolan Riemold - If spring can translate into Summer, who does not want to see him in left or DH every single day in the Orioles lineup.
How is he going to DH? The Orioles didn't spend $8 million on Vlad for him to sit on the bench. No chance he's playing in the field.


I have gone on record saying that Vlad should not be in the everyday lineup. He should be spelled 1-2 per week, if the Orioles want to see production beyond the second half of the season. I think Nolan could squeeze his way into the lineup at least 3 times a week if he can produce anything close to what he has shown this spring. Lee going on the shelf greatly enhances his chances of going North this spring.

I wonder out loud if the Orioles should be given him some looks at firstbase as well as Luke Scott. Just thinking out loud...
Last edited by Don on March 11th, 2011, 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 699
Joined: September 2010
Reputation Score: 25

Re: What I like so far this spring?

PostPost #4 by Shorebirdfan » March 11th, 2011, 7:11 pm

Don wrote:. Ryan Adams - I said while he was in the AFL. He should be considered for at least the bench role with the Orioles. I am not saying his numbers suggest he is going to be the 2nd Baseman of the future, but he is better than people want to give him credit over the years. Seeing Brian Roberts was shut down, he should be going North as well.


Ryan has proven himself a hitter at every level. I cannot say I'm surprised, although the power has been good to see. Defence is and will continue to be his downfall. I'd like to see him getting more time in the field. He might be the most ready of any of the prosects to step up to this level.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 559
Joined: September 2010
Reputation Score: 15



Return to Baltimore Orioles

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests