Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

This series really reminded me how good Markakis is

This series really reminded me how good Markakis is

PostPost #1 by Matt P » October 12th, 2012, 1:41 pm

If he's batting leadoff that puts McLouth 3rd and Davis #6 or #7 and improves the lineup dramatically. You know he wouldn't be pressing like a few Orioles have been and he would be calm, cool, and would wait for his pitch just like he has his entire career.

I was as hard on him as anyone over the last 2 years but I think it is obvious that if he doesn't get hurt this series would already be over.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

Re: This series really reminded me how good Markakis is

PostPost #2 by Old Sneakers » October 12th, 2012, 1:57 pm

To me he profiles best in the two hole.

The team needs a true lead off hitter.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #3 by osforlife » October 12th, 2012, 4:30 pm

I like him in the 2-hole too but he'd be leading off now. I've never bashed him. He's a professional. class act. He's gonna play gonna defense, he's gonna hit .290, he's gonna have an OBP of .350, he's gonna hit 15+ homers. I love Nicky.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #4 by OriolesRedskins28 » October 12th, 2012, 8:07 pm

EXCELLENT point Matt. I had actually completely forgotten about Markakis during this series. That makes it all the more impressive what the O's were able to accomplish with their most consistent hitter injured.

Markakis was on fire in the leadoff spot, why mess with success? He said (and played like) he was very comfortable there and is a consistent and patient hitter. What more could you ask for from a leadoff hitter? Stolen bases really aren't that important in the leadoff spot IMO.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #5 by Jordan Tuwiner » October 12th, 2012, 8:08 pm

OriolesRedskins28 wrote:Markakis was on fire in the leadoff spot, why mess with success? He said (and played like) he was very comfortable there and is a consistent and patient hitter. What more could you ask for from a leadoff hitter? Stolen bases really aren't that important in the leadoff spot IMO.

I agree. I'd love to see Markakis there again next season.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #6 by Matt P » October 12th, 2012, 8:30 pm

Yeah, no reason to not bat Markakis lead off unless Roberts shows up in Spring Training 100% and looks good all camp without getting hurt.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #7 by Jordan Tuwiner » October 12th, 2012, 8:32 pm

Matt P wrote:Yeah, no reason to not bat Markakis lead off unless Roberts shows up in Spring Training 100% and looks good all camp without getting hurt.

And the chances of that happening do not seem very good.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by Matt P » October 12th, 2012, 8:35 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:And the chances of that happening do not seem very good.

I'd put it at .01% lol.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #9 by ofahn » October 12th, 2012, 9:59 pm

I would have no problem batting Nick first again.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #10 by LA Detective » October 16th, 2012, 7:51 pm

I think batting leadoff gets the most out of NM...Its all about just having a good at bat in that spot..He doesnt have to think he has to hit HRs or drive in a ton of runs...He just is a natural at it...plus with 45+ doubles and 17+ Hrs, coupled with the fact he is a very good base runner, he puts himself in scoring position just like a guy stealing 35 bases does..Plus I like the .390 OBA he is capable of..If McClouth comes back, I would like him batting behind NM...He pulls the ball to the right side with ease, handles the bat and is tough to dbl up.. Both him and NM hit lefties well enough that its ok to bat them back to back...ecspecially if Hardy bats 9th and a right hander bats 3rd...
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #11 by LA Detective » October 16th, 2012, 8:15 pm

Not to confuse NM with Jeter's great career cuz Jeter is one of the all time greats in many ways, but in the fall of 2012 NM was more important to the Os than Jeter was to the Yanks...

I really believed in early Sept that we really had a chance to go all the way...I mean win the WS..We had Defense, our SP was coming around, the BP was still the best and our hitting was very balanced. But we needed a healthy team to do this and everyone contributing. Having a great lead off hitter is so important in the post season and we suddenly had one of the best. He was able to put the rest of the hitters in the line up in their proper place..And NM is truely our best hitter. The guy we do want up in clutch situations and against the best...

Jeter was great but the Yankee line up is a gauntlet 11 deep that is filled with future HOFers, all star players and players on the bench who would be in most teams starting line-up. Would Buck PH for ARod if he was on our team?..Hell no...becasue who would he do it with ? Endy Chavez?

The Os had no room for error. As seen in the playoffs, no NM put others out of place and put added pressure on the rest of the guys.. I really believe with NM that pressure wouldnt of been as much...It would of been more about getting him in from 2nd or 3rd than our hitters swinging for the fences as they all did. When NM got hit with the ball, my heart sank..I knew the chances of us going all the way we suddenly very very thin..I really did like our chances as much as anybody before this...Thats why 2013 has so much to look forward to....
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #12 by Jordan Tuwiner » October 17th, 2012, 8:36 am

I agree LD. I think the most important thing with Markakis is that he just flat out sets the table for the rest of the lineup. There is just a certain energy that he brought.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Return to Baltimore Orioles