Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Very thankful for the Joe Saunders trade

Very thankful for the Joe Saunders trade

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » October 11th, 2012, 11:53 pm

Lots of people were bashing the trade (including myself). But wow, this guy has been rock solid in the post-season.

Matt P said this before but you just can't doubt Buck.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: Very thankful for the Joe Saunders trade

PostPost #2 by Matt P » October 12th, 2012, 7:03 am

I doubted Buck again and he proved me wrong again last night lol.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #3 by STrone03 » October 12th, 2012, 12:46 pm

Just wondering why Tillman was another no show. Instead he decided to go with matchups and the Strop.
STrone03
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 1

PostPost #4 by Jordan Tuwiner » October 12th, 2012, 1:21 pm

STrone03 wrote:Just wondering why Tillman was another no show. Instead he decided to go with matchups and the Strop.

Tillman is probably going to have to start if they advance.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #5 by osforlife » October 12th, 2012, 7:32 pm

I bashed the trade. What he did in Game 4 and the wildcard game ****alone**** were enough to qualify the trade as a success.
Last edited by osforlife on October 12th, 2012, 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #6 by Matt P » October 12th, 2012, 7:36 pm

osforlife wrote:I bashed the trade. What he did in Game 4 and the wildcard game were enough to qualify the trade as a success.

He had a 3.63 ERA with the O's. He looked bad his first start but after that he had a quality start in 5 of his final 6 starts in the regular season and helped them clinch a playoff spot. Even if he didn't pitch in the post season the trade qualified as a success.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #7 by osforlife » October 12th, 2012, 7:59 pm

Thats what I meant to say^^^^
He was good in the regular season. Better in the postseason.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #8 by LA Detective » October 13th, 2012, 2:18 pm

He is a FA...I think DD said he was from the area...Would you bring him back?

For me it is a yes if we are going to trade any starters? If we dont make any trades then probably not
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #9 by Matt P » October 13th, 2012, 9:02 pm

Yes, I would bring him back. He pitched very well after his first start and pitched great against two of the top offenses in all of baseball. He's always been dominant vs lefties so if he doesn't work out as a starter he could be just as good as Matusz was out of the pen.

I forget where I heard it (I think MLBN) where they talked about how acting like him vs the Yankees as a huge mismatch was just stupid. The guy brought up how he was a former top prospect for the Angels and since he came up he is in the top 10 for left handed pitching wins. He mentioned how he always seemed to be unhealthy and have something small here and something small there and once he got to Baltimore they tweaked some of his mechanics and he has been pitching for the Orioles like he was expected to when he came up through the Angels organization.

Now, I think W/L for a pitcher is a meaningless stat but I thought the rest of the comments on Saunders were eye opening. Like you said he's from Virginia. He's mentioned how he used to go to games at Memorial Stadium as a kid and grew up an O's fan. I would love to have him back on a 1 year deal + option or a 2 year deal + option. I would not give him a guaranteed 3 years though.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by Jordan Tuwiner » October 14th, 2012, 11:43 am

Matt P wrote:Yes, I would bring him back. He pitched very well after his first start and pitched great against two of the top offenses in all of baseball. He's always been dominant vs lefties so if he doesn't work out as a starter he could be just as good as Matusz was out of the pen.

I forget where I heard it (I think MLBN) where they talked about how acting like him vs the Yankees as a huge mismatch was just stupid. The guy brought up how he was a former top prospect for the Angels and since he came up he is in the top 10 for left handed pitching wins. He mentioned how he always seemed to be unhealthy and have something small here and something small there and once he got to Baltimore they tweaked some of his mechanics and he has been pitching for the Orioles like he was expected to when he came up through the Angels organization.

Now, I think W/L for a pitcher is a meaningless stat but I thought the rest of the comments on Saunders were eye opening. Like you said he's from Virginia. He's mentioned how he used to go to games at Memorial Stadium as a kid and grew up an O's fan. I would love to have him back on a 1 year deal + option or a 2 year deal + option. I would not give him a guaranteed 3 years though.

This changed my opinion on re-signing him. I'd be fine with it.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #11 by ofahn » October 14th, 2012, 5:49 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:This changed my opinion on re-signing him. I'd be fine with it.

I would prefer to bring him back and start all but one of the kids at AAA again.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Return to Baltimore Orioles