Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

"Best move of the year: Calling up Machado"

Re: "Best move of the year: Calling up Machado"

PostPost #31 by osforlife » October 11th, 2012, 2:15 pm

Matt P wrote:
Because there is a slim chance he is as good as McLouth.

True, but several of these type of moves could be the difference in getting a Greinke over a Marcum.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #32 by osforlife » October 11th, 2012, 2:26 pm

ofahn wrote:
Enough said. I have never seen him as a big game pitcher and he has shown the baseball world why since the beginning of September. I would rather sign Hammel to the contract that Jackson wants and I'm a bit reluctant to do THAT because we have a lot of SP talent that is finally emerging. Making expensive long term commitments to slightly above league average SPs just doesn't make sense to me; particularly when we have limited payroll room.

Consider this: Jackson made a must win start AT HOME yesterday and got smoked. Gonzalez made a must win start AT YANKEE STADIUM and threw a masterpiece. Why sign Jackson when we already have better?

Adam Jones is running into struggles at a bad time too. Does that mean he has shown the baseball world that he isn't a big time player? Those weren't even must wins also. Answer this: Which one of our starting pitchers has had at least two quality years in a row? We're gonna sign at least one starting pitcher.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #33 by ofahn » October 11th, 2012, 2:27 pm

osforlife wrote:True, but several of these type of moves could be the difference in getting a Greinke over a Marcum.

Considering their contract demands and what we are developing I would pass on both of them.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #34 by osforlife » October 11th, 2012, 2:31 pm

ofahn wrote:
I disagree with that.

The reason I want them to start the year in AAA working with Peterson is that I want them to be at their best when the come back to the ML. I see all four of them as having a GREAT DEAL MORE TALENT than Shawn Marcum and clearly they are much younger and less expensive.

I could potentially see Tillman, Hammel, Chen, and Gonzalez better than Marcum. None of them has had consecutive quality years and I could easily swap Marcum/Chen, Marcum/Gonzalez. We are gonna sign at least one starting pitcher, none of those guys are ready. Therefore, how do we have 5 starting pitchers better than him?
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #35 by osforlife » October 11th, 2012, 2:32 pm

ofahn wrote:
Again, I would rather sign Hammel to the contract that Lohse wants and I'm reluctant to do that for the same reasons as Jackson, although I will admit that I see Lohse as a better pitcher than Jackson.

I'd sign both. We have a hole in our rotation.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #36 by ofahn » October 11th, 2012, 2:41 pm

osforlife wrote:We have a hole in our rotation.

Would you explain why you feel that way?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #37 by Matt P » October 11th, 2012, 2:43 pm

Unless they are signing someone better than Tillman, Hammel, Chen, or Gonzalez there isn't a need to sign anyone to a multi year deal in terms of starting pitchers.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #38 by ofahn » October 11th, 2012, 2:44 pm

Matt P wrote:Unless they are signing someone better than Tillman, Hammel, Chen, or Gonzalez there isn't a need to sign anyone to a multi year deal in terms of starting pitchers.

If they can't work out a trade for Peavy then they could sign Saunders for another year.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #39 by Matt P » October 11th, 2012, 4:05 pm

osforlife wrote:True, but several of these type of moves could be the difference in getting a Greinke over a Marcum.

No way in Hell do they sign Greinke. They don't want to give out longer than 3 year deals to free agent pitchers and they don't want to pay nearly as much as it will cost to get him regardless of how much they save in other areas.

Besides, the Angels are rumored to be strongly considering declining the options on Santana and Haren and re-signing Greinke.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #40 by osforlife » October 11th, 2012, 5:15 pm

Matt P wrote:
No way in Hell do they sign Greinke. They don't want to give out longer than 3 year deals to free agent pitchers and they don't want to pay nearly as much as it will cost to get him regardless of how much they save in other areas.

Besides, the Angels are rumored to be strongly considering declining the options on Santana and Haren and re-signing Greinke.

It was just an example. I'am listening to the Santana situation. I was saying that letting young, cheap players play instead of pricey veterans, could lead to a sitation where we have saved enough money to get a TOR starter instead of a 3 guy like Marcum.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #41 by osforlife » October 11th, 2012, 5:32 pm

ofahn wrote:
Would you explain why you feel that way?

Hammel, Chen, Tillman, Gonzalez in the rotation. s.johnson and wada in long relief. Bundy, Britton, Arrieta, and Matusz in AAA.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Previous

Return to Baltimore Orioles