Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

#33 Prospect - Jaime Esquivel

#33 Prospect - Jaime Esquivel

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » March 9th, 2011, 9:49 pm

http://orioles-nation.com/?p=9288

At 6' 2" and 185 lbs, Esquivel's projectable and already touches 92 mph with his fastball. His curveball has a nice, tight spin and is a sharp breaker. It's above-average now but should easily become plus with time and development.

Full top 50 list
33. Jaime Esquivel
34. Michael Ohlman
35. Rick Zagone
36. Ashur Tolliver
37. Wynston Sawyer
38. Brenden Webb
39. Troy Patton
40. Eddie Gamboa
41. Chorye Spoone
42. Brandon Waring
43. Greg Miclat
44. Jake Cowan
45. Ronnie Welty
46. Kyle Hudson
47. Sebastian Vader
48. Jarret Martin
49. Dudley Leonora
50. Justin Dalles
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: #33 Prospect - Jaime Esquivel

PostPost #2 by Don » March 10th, 2011, 10:22 am

I am a huge fan of this guy, so much so that I made him my wildcard for the jump in next years overall minor league rankings for 2012. I feel this kid has the stuff to become more like Doug Drabek, rather than Matt Garza. While younger guys will instantly connect him to Garza for latin american profile, etc... his smooth and compact delivery really pops Drabek in my head.

I do not know if it translates to success, but this is a guy that next season could be in the 10-15 range and even higher with a solid showing in Aberdeen and hopefully Delmarva.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

Re: #33 Prospect - Jaime Esquivel

PostPost #3 by Jordan Tuwiner » March 11th, 2011, 3:38 pm

Don wrote:I am a huge fan of this guy, so much so that I made him my wildcard for the jump in next years overall minor league rankings for 2012. I feel this kid has the stuff to become more like Doug Drabek, rather than Matt Garza. While younger guys will instantly connect him to Garza for latin american profile, etc... his smooth and compact delivery really pops Drabek in my head.

I do not know if it translates to success, but this is a guy that next season could be in the 10-15 range and even higher with a solid showing in Aberdeen and hopefully Delmarva.

100% agree with the last part. Really liked this pick; glad they signed him.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Return to Minor Leagues