Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Don't give up on Arrieta and Matusz yet

Re: Don't give up on Arrieta and Matusz yet

PostPost #46 by ofahn » October 10th, 2012, 4:23 pm

Matt P wrote:
Maybe, but when he consistently crumbled at the first sign of trouble I would say it's a more than fair accusation.


Agreed. I've said many time that his problem was between his ears.
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4409
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: Don't give up on Arrieta and Matusz yet

PostPost #47 by A_K » October 10th, 2012, 4:32 pm

Matt P wrote:
Maybe, but when he consistently crumbled at the first sign of trouble I would say it's a more than fair accusation.


I don't believe there's ever a circumstance in which it's fair to accuse someone of something that's by definition impossible to know. "Mentally weak" in particular is a label that tends to stick to players once it's been leveled. Given that none of the people who make such accusations are in a position to verify the attack, I think it's irresponsible to even suggest it.
A_K
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 608
Joined: April 2011
Reputation Score: 43

Re: Don't give up on Arrieta and Matusz yet

PostPost #48 by ofahn » October 10th, 2012, 4:37 pm

A_K wrote:
I don't believe there's ever a circumstance in which it's fair to accuse someone of something that's by definition impossible to know. "Mentally weak" in particular is a label that tends to stick to players once it's been leveled. Given that none of the people who make such accusations are in a position to verify the attack, I think it's irresponsible to even suggest it.


Does anyone remember how Roy Halladay's career was saved by a sports psychiatrist? Arrieta clearly is insecure about his ability when he gets in a jam and should NOT be. He has GREAT stuff, he's just afraid to trust it.
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4409
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: Don't give up on Arrieta and Matusz yet

PostPost #49 by A_K » October 10th, 2012, 4:43 pm

ofahn wrote:
Does anyone remember how Roy Halladay's career was saved by a sports psychiatrist? Arrieta clearly is insecure about his ability when he gets in a jam and should NOT be. He has GREAT stuff, he's just afraid to trust it.


Teams have made great use of sports psychologists in recent years, just as teams now are increasingly utilizing bio mechanics, sabermetrics, etc. to find opportunities to put players in positions to succeed. Teams should continue to do so.

But, IMO, fans who've never met or worked with athletes shouldn't allege a lack of mental toughness or any other related, unverifiable claim about them. Maybe Arrieta's got confidence issues. Maybe he has plantar fascia. Maybe he hates baseball. Maybe his muscle memory isn't good enough to repeat his delivery. When the conclusion is as potentially damaging as calling someone, in essence, a mentally weak individual, why bother to say so when you can't know for sure?
A_K
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 608
Joined: April 2011
Reputation Score: 43

Re: Don't give up on Arrieta and Matusz yet

PostPost #50 by Matt P » October 10th, 2012, 5:17 pm

A_K wrote:
I don't believe there's ever a circumstance in which it's fair to accuse someone of something that's by definition impossible to know. "Mentally weak" in particular is a label that tends to stick to players once it's been leveled. Given that none of the people who make such accusations are in a position to verify the attack, I think it's irresponsible to even suggest it.


I guess we just have different views on the matter.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: October 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Reputation Score: 37

Re: Don't give up on Arrieta and Matusz yet

PostPost #51 by A_K » October 10th, 2012, 6:15 pm

No worries.

I once freaked out about the Dana Eveland trade. At this point in the season, it's a nice reminder that most **** that happens just doesn't matter very much. Folks calling Arrieta mentally weak probably falls in the same bucket.
A_K
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 608
Joined: April 2011
Reputation Score: 43


Previous

Return to Baltimore Orioles

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

cron