Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Game 2, beating Andy Pettitte

Game 2, beating Andy Pettitte

PostPost #1 by Rising O's » October 8th, 2012, 10:37 am

I consider the roider a junk ball pitcher. By that I mean he will get you out with pitches out of the zone, rarely will he challenge. So if you see a lot of weakly hit grounders being pulled or weak fly balls early, it will be a long evening.

Because he likes to live on the outside of the zone, with the occasional inside pitch to keep you honest, the key is to take the ball the other way. Once you establish that you will take what he gives you, he will have to change strategy, and at that point there will be more pitches that can be driven, maybe even out of the park.

Working the pitch count is also important. We're talking about a 40 year old which apparently means nothing in today's game, as it seems everyone has found the fountain of youth so why am I even bothering to mention it... The Orioles must get him out of the game by the 5th inning either due to the count, or with runs which have been hard to come by. Why? Because the Orioles are the worst team in the AL in scoring runs off of left handed pitching.

Other than that, when the opportunities present themselves, the offense has got to capitalize. Moving runners, sacrifices and taking the extra base are all going to matter tonight. Assuming Chen holds up his end of things.

Key players:
Chris Davis. Chris Davis? Yep, not sure why Buck had him hitting so far down last night, but he's got power and is willing to take the Android to left, hopefully deeeeep left. I'd bat him 3rd (crazy I know).
The big names for sure, Wieters and Jones who had been our best right handed bats against LHP put up stinkers yesterday.
Lew Ford, he was involved in our only run scoring rally and got a late double, one can only hope because we really are lacking in RH options.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

Re: Game 2, beating Andy Pettitte

PostPost #2 by birdwatcher55 » October 8th, 2012, 11:35 am

I'd like to see more small ball strategy tonight - something that was lacking badly in the eighth on Sunday..also more bunting and running.. putting more pressure on the NY defense 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #3 by Old Sneakers » October 8th, 2012, 10:47 pm

Game isn't lost. It's bottom of the 8th and still up by 1, but Chen should have been pulled with Jeter at the plate and a man on second.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 33

PostPost #4 by Rising O's » October 8th, 2012, 11:13 pm

Got home to see the bottom of the 8th and Johnson closing it out. Man that was painful watching Jones, Wieters and Reynolds not being able to get the insurance home. But Johnson looked good and got the outs.

I see Davis got 2 RBI and Reynolds with the opposite field hit for an RBI. No idea how Andy looked other than sneaking peeks at gameday. And on that pitch tracker it looked like he uses the same approach, lots of outside stuff, try to let the hitter get himself out.

You can say it was the biggest win of the year. And I LOVE that Miguel Gonzalez is pitching Wednesday. The dude is a beast on the road. And he should be able to maintain his poise in NY. Our offense though should get better with our lefties finally getting a RHP to hack at.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #5 by Matt P » October 8th, 2012, 11:27 pm

Every win from this point on is the biggest win of the year.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #6 by ofahn » October 9th, 2012, 11:57 am

Matt P wrote:Every win from this point on is the biggest win of the year.

...and we're back to MUST wins.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #7 by birdwatcher55 » October 9th, 2012, 12:02 pm

Every game is crucial. Nice bounce back by JJ. Man that was one intense game 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #8 by ofahn » October 9th, 2012, 12:05 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:Nice bounce back by JJ.

It was like he was a completely different pitcher.

I had trepidations about him resuming the closer role last year because he seemed to wilt under the pressure. Somehow, he made the adjustment and has been a rock. Good for him.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #9 by Jordan Tuwiner » October 9th, 2012, 6:21 pm

ofahn wrote:
It was like he was a completely different pitcher.

I had trepidations about him resuming the closer role last year because he seemed to wilt under the pressure. Somehow, he made the adjustment and has been a rock. Good for him.

I remember when he was first used as a closer. I think he blew maybe 4 of his first 10 save opportunities.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #10 by Matt P » October 10th, 2012, 1:45 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:I remember when he was first used as a closer. I think he blew maybe 4 of his first 10 save opportunities.

He used to look horrible as a closer and when he inherited runners. It was like if he didn't start the 8th inning he just didn't have it for some reason.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

Return to Baltimore Orioles