Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

I'm probably crazy but I'd pitch Bundy on Thursday or Friday

I'm probably crazy but I'd pitch Bundy on Thursday or Friday

PostPost #1 by Matt P » October 3rd, 2012, 2:48 pm

With Tillman going tonight and both Chen and Gonzalez unavailable I would go with Dylan Bundy in a one game playoff. The Yankees have never seen him before, the Rangers have never seen him before, and the A's have never seen him before. I'm also not convinced that Saunders and Johnson are better pitchers than him right now.

I have no interest in Arrieta or Hunter starting the game. Sure, Arrieta has fantastic stuff but I just wouldn't trust him in a one game playoff as we've seen him have mental breakdowns time after time again. Hunter wouldn't be a horrible option pitching at Oakland but I don't want him starting a one game playoff in Baltimore or Texas.

Anybody else with me?
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: October 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Reputation Score: 37

Re: I'm probably crazy but I'd pitch Bundy on Thursday or Friday

PostPost #2 by birdwatcher55 » October 3rd, 2012, 2:53 pm

I would not do that. It's Hammel/Saunders and the bullpen (all hands on deck) for the wild card game. Worry about Sunday if Sunday comes at all 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1624
Joined: November 2011
Reputation Score: 11

Re: I'm probably crazy but I'd pitch Bundy on Thursday or Friday

PostPost #3 by LA Detective » October 3rd, 2012, 3:43 pm

No way they have Bundy do anything that requires over 30 pitches..He hasnt started in a month...No way they do that to their young prized arm. But next year I would bring him along slowly again so that he can fresh and pitch game 1,2 or 3 of the playoffs
LA Detective
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 293
Joined: July 2011
Reputation Score: 14

Re: I'm probably crazy but I'd pitch Bundy on Thursday or Friday

PostPost #4 by R.martinez05 » October 3rd, 2012, 3:58 pm

I agree Bundy shouldn't even be considered. He hasn't started one game as a major leaguer yet so I wouldn't throw him into a due or die game this early.
R.martinez05
DSL Orioles
 
Posts: 8
Joined: October 2012
Reputation Score: 1

Re: I'm probably crazy but I'd pitch Bundy on Thursday or Friday

PostPost #5 by Jordan Tuwiner » October 3rd, 2012, 4:23 pm

Looks like Johnson is fully healthy so it will probably be Johnson, Saunders or Britton tomorrow or Friday.
User avatar
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 2588
Joined: September 2010
Location: Israel
Reputation Score: 57



Re: I'm probably crazy but I'd pitch Bundy on Thursday or Friday

PostPost #6 by osforlife » October 3rd, 2012, 5:59 pm

I liked A_K's idea. Whoever the starter is, unless they are pitching a hell of a game and pitching dominantly, I'd pull them as early as the third inning and let the bullpen take care of the rest. I did have a thought of Bundy too, like Matt Moore part 2.
User avatar
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1619
Joined: October 2011
Location: Southern Maryland
Reputation Score: 59

Re: I'm probably crazy but I'd pitch Bundy on Thursday or Friday

PostPost #7 by ofahn » October 3rd, 2012, 6:52 pm

Bundy is NOT a crazy idea. There's little, if any, scouting report on him and whomever we play has not faced him. He could easily go three innings, nine up and nine down, and then Matusz could go two or Saunders could go three. Bullpen after that.
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4399
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: I'm probably crazy but I'd pitch Bundy on Thursday or Friday

PostPost #8 by Matt P » October 3rd, 2012, 7:48 pm

osforlife wrote:I liked A_K's idea. Whoever the starter is, unless they are pitching a hell of a game and pitching dominantly, I'd pull them as early as the third inning and let the bullpen take care of the rest. I did have a thought of Bundy too, like Matt Moore part 2.

I would imagine that regardless of who is pitching they will be on an extremely short leash.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: October 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Reputation Score: 37

Re: I'm probably crazy but I'd pitch Bundy on Thursday or Friday

PostPost #9 by OriolesRedskins28 » October 3rd, 2012, 9:37 pm

Matt, if it weren't for the fact that Bundy hasn't started in so long I would be 100% behind you on that one. Heck if the Orioles determine that it isn't an issue and they limit his pitches then go for it, as others have stated there is almost no scouting report on him and he has the stuff and makeup to pitch in a game like that.

I also agree that the game should have no pitcher go longer than 3 innings. I would start Johnson and bring Saunders in the second time through the order where a group of lefties come up (if the Rangers set their lineup like that), his LH/RH splits are unreal. To me the most important thing is to keep the lesser (but still talented) hitters off base when the studs come up, that puts added pressure on them and would minimize any damage they are capable of doing (in Josh Hamilton's 4 HR game, Elvis Andrus got on base right before him ALL 4 times).

Buck's brilliant with this stuff. I can't think of anyone who I would trust more to set up Friday's pitching situation than him.



BTW I agree 100% with LA Detective

LA Detective wrote:next year I would bring him along slowly again so that he can fresh and pitch game 1,2 or 3 of the playoffs


The Nationals should have done this with Strasburg this year.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 427
Joined: August 2011
Reputation Score: 25

Re: I'm probably crazy but I'd pitch Bundy on Thursday or Friday

PostPost #10 by Matt P » October 3rd, 2012, 9:46 pm

OriolesRedskins28 wrote:Matt, if it weren't for the fact that Bundy hasn't started in so long I would be 100% behind you on that one. Heck if the Orioles determine that it isn't an issue and they limit his pitches then go for it, as others have stated there is almost no scouting report on him and he has the stuff and makeup to pitch in a game like that.

I also agree that the game should have no pitcher go longer than 3 innings. I would start Johnson and bring Saunders in the second time through the order where a group of lefties come up (if the Rangers set their lineup like that), his LH/RH splits are unreal. To me the most important thing is to keep the lesser (but still talented) hitters off base when the studs come up, that puts added pressure on them and would minimize any damage they are capable of doing (in Josh Hamilton's 4 HR game, Elvis Andrus got on base right before him ALL 4 times).

Buck's brilliant with this stuff. I can't think of anyone who I would trust more to set up Friday's pitching situation than him.



BTW I agree 100% with LA Detective



The Nationals should have done this with Strasburg this year.


Well, we don't know if he has been pitching regular side sessions or anything like that. You're right though, it's not gonna happen.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: October 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Reputation Score: 37

Re: I'm probably crazy but I'd pitch Bundy on Thursday or Friday

PostPost #11 by Old Sneakers » October 4th, 2012, 9:00 am

I'm probably crazy but I'd pitch Bundy on Thursday or Friday


You sir, are probably correct.

Regardless of the current state of the ML starting pitching the team has available. I would not even consider using Bundy in relief.
User avatar
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 770
Joined: March 2011
Reputation Score: 32



Return to Baltimore Orioles

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests

cron