Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Is Pedro Strop out as the setup man?

Is Pedro Strop out as the setup man?

PostPost #1 by Matt P » September 30th, 2012, 11:58 pm

Saturday, with a 1 run lead, Buck went with Matusz vs two left handed hitters and O'Day vs a right handed hitter.
Sunday, with a 3 run lead, Buck left Saunders in vs Ellsbury and brought in O'Day to face two right handed hitters.

So much for all that talk about not moving Strop out of his setup role. I love that Buck is pitching the arms that have done best recently. This is a playoff chase and isn't a time to let someone work out of a recent funk. I was surprised that he didn't bring in Strop in the 8th and have O'Day warmed to come in if he struggles but I have no gripes against it.

In a perfect world, Strop is needed in the 8th vs Tampa at some point and pitches a perfect inning and gets his swagger back but I agree with Buck that being tied for the AL East is no time to let someone work his way out of a funk in a close game unless necessary.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

Re: Is Pedro Strop out as the setup man?

PostPost #2 by ofahn » October 1st, 2012, 10:10 am

This is perhaps one of the defining differences between Buck Showalter and Dave Trembley. Buck was loyal to Pedro until he was concerned that it would hurt the team and then he did what he needed to do. Dave, as much as I respect his baseball knowledge, would almost certainly kept using Pedro until the season or division title was lost.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #3 by birdwatcher55 » October 1st, 2012, 11:42 am

Solid move by Buck. Strop had run out of gas and was largely ineffective. I like this mix and match plan of attack he has adopted for the seventh and eighth innings 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #4 by A_K » October 1st, 2012, 1:16 pm

I'm fine with Buck adjusting his bullpen usage-- especially as Matusz, Arrieta and Hunter have proven to be valuable relievers over the last month-- but I suspect we'll see Strop pitch in a tough spot at some point in the playoffs. Maybe it's the 7th instead of the 8th, but he's still one of our best relievers and will be used as such in close games.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #5 by osforlife » October 1st, 2012, 4:39 pm

It sure looks like it. Maybe he has just run out of gas. But I still see him as a impact piece in the playoffs and going forward.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #6 by Matt P » October 1st, 2012, 9:30 pm

Another bad outing by Strop tonight :(
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #7 by Jordan Tuwiner » October 2nd, 2012, 12:24 am

Matt P wrote:Another bad outing by Strop tonight :(

Will be interesting to see who makes it onto the playoff roster. I think Strop does.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #8 by birdwatcher55 » October 2nd, 2012, 12:27 pm

I think Strop is on shaky ground for making it. Just my two cents 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #9 by LA Detective » October 2nd, 2012, 5:35 pm

If Hammel and Johnson are healthy he might not.... The pen would be JJ,Hunter,Oday,Matusz,Patton,Ayala, the dropped starter (Saunders or Chen or if Gonzo gets lit up maybe him)...thats 11..if they stick with 12 it would be between Johsnon and Strop.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #10 by Matt P » October 2nd, 2012, 8:07 pm

Looks like it's O'Day for the bottom of the 8th tonight with a 1-0 lead.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #11 by R.martinez05 » October 2nd, 2012, 8:26 pm

Ok lets be honest Strop has done a lot for the. O's this season. Of course playing 162 games is gonna take its toll on all the players. But Strop not on the playoff roster? He's definitely going to be on that roster.
R.martinez05
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 1

PostPost #12 by Jordan Tuwiner » October 2nd, 2012, 8:27 pm

R.martinez05 wrote:Ok lets be honest Strop has done a lot for the. O's this season. Of course playing 162 games is gonna take its toll on all the players. But Strop not on the playoff roster? He's definitely going to be on that roster.

That's the thing. Has he been helpful over the entire season? Yes. Are there relievers currently performing better? Yes.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #13 by R.martinez05 » October 2nd, 2012, 8:37 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:That's the thing. Has he been helpful over the entire season? Yes. Are there relievers currently performing better? Yes.

Yeah Strop is in a little Slump. Other pitchers are doing better. But NO PLAYOFF ROSTER? Lets us an example so lets say J.J hardy was in a slump right now and Andino wasnt... Drop Hardy for the playoffs and let Andino Start? Somebody that got you there? you just cant drop them
R.martinez05
DSL Orioles

PostPost #14 by Jordan Tuwiner » October 2nd, 2012, 8:39 pm

R.martinez05 wrote:
Yeah Strop is in a little Slump. Other pitchers are doing better. But NO PLAYOFF ROSTER? Lets us an example so lets say J.J hardy was in a slump right now and Andino wasnt... Drop Hardy for the playoffs and let Andino Start? Somebody that got you there? you just cant drop them

I'm not saying he should be left off the roster. It's something to consider. You want the best players on your team for the playoffs and Strop has not shown the ability to pitch successfully as of late.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #15 by R.martinez05 » October 2nd, 2012, 8:49 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:I'm not saying he should be left off the roster. It's something to consider. You want the best players on your team for the playoffs and Strop has not shown the ability to pitch successfully as of late.
Jordan Tuwiner wrote:I'm not saying he should be left off the roster. It's something to consider. You want the best players on your team for the playoffs and Strop has not shown the ability to pitch successfully as of late.

NO!!! lol you gotta be kidding me man that shouldnt even be considered... O'Day has been getting the job done... Yes he's on the playoff roster for sure... Besides Hunter/ Johnson no one has an arm like Strop. When he is on... HE IS ON. Strop is just tired. And this is his 1st full major league season. Everyone goes through slumps.
R.martinez05
DSL Orioles

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles