Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

If O's play wild card game, who starts?

If O's play wild card game, who starts?

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » September 27th, 2012, 11:06 am

I'm all for taking this season day by day, but I think it's important to think about who would start if the O's fail to win the division and are forced into the one game playoff.

At this point I'm thinking Miguel Gonzalez or Chris Tillman. Gonzalez has pitched well in so many big games and is consistent.

I'm still a bit concerned with Chen and Hammel may not be ready.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: If O's play wild card game, who starts?

PostPost #2 by osforlife » September 27th, 2012, 12:27 pm

Steve Johnson :D
But I'd have to say Gonzalez. He's been great all year and keeps his poise. I don't think the pressure of the sitaution will get to him.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #3 by birdwatcher55 » September 27th, 2012, 12:45 pm

Ditto on Gonzo but got a feeling it's going to be Tillman if we make it in 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #4 by Matt P » September 27th, 2012, 1:20 pm

Tillman has the best stuff of the remaining starters and he will have an extra 2 days rest.

In a perfect world the O's don't need to use any top relievers in the pen on Wednesday and they will all be rested for Friday. That way if Tillman gets into an trouble regardless of inning they can turn the game into a bullpen game.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #5 by ofahn » September 27th, 2012, 3:57 pm

Tillman has the best stuff, but I see Gonzalez as less susceptible to pressure. Since we can configure the line up for just THAT game we should have at least one long man to back up the starter.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #6 by LA Detective » September 27th, 2012, 7:10 pm

I think it will be Tilman due to his turn in the rotation for the most part...Chen would have to start Sat on 4 days rest and then back on 4 days rest for the WC game...big mistake..I would like to see Saunders start Sunday and Chen pushed to Mon for 6 days rest and go into the playoffs Chen pitching game 3 on 7 days rest...I think thats the only way to get a great game out of him. Gonzo will prob be due to pitch next Tue and would only pitch the WC game if Tue and Wed mean nothing which is doubtful that at least Tues doesnt mean someithing.... TIlman could pitch Wed if it was must win but I think it wont be..If Johnson starts this Sat then he would be the next option....If Hammel said he was 100% ready, i would start him that day. 50/50 shot on that..My answer in prefrence would be Hammel, Johnson, Gonzo, Tilman but Buck wouldnt start Johnson on such an important game unless he absoluetly had to...Each of those options could pitch a great 5 innings on that day then the BP can take over.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #7 by A_K » September 27th, 2012, 7:13 pm

Tillman, and he only goes past three innings if he's pitching an absolute gem and looks like something special. Otherwise, let him get 9 outs and turn the game over to the bullpen, where there should they should aggressively target matchups. Patton, Matusz, O'Day, Strop, J. Johnson, Arrieta, Hunter, S. Johnson should all pitch.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #8 by Rising O's » September 27th, 2012, 8:10 pm

Probably Gonzalez but Tillman, Sanders could both get the nod too. Chen, has too many early inning problems, and you cannot get behind early in a 1 game playoff, the pressure is too great. I think Gonzalez falls into the same category too which is why I could see them going with one of the other two.

The Orioles are dead last in the AL in runs scored vs LHP. This is odd because they are upper middle in average, obp, slg and ops. The line-up needs to be scrutinized to maximize this performance so the runs are brought in and not left on base.

We're winning the division anyway
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #9 by Matt P » September 27th, 2012, 9:04 pm

One thing Saunders has going for him is his "track record" against the A's.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by ofahn » September 28th, 2012, 7:07 am

Rising O's wrote:We're winning the division anyway

KEEP THE FAITH!!!!!!!!!!!
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #11 by Matt P » September 29th, 2012, 12:55 am

Tillman with 8 innings of 1 hit ball tonight. Lowering that season ERA to 2.78. The good thing is that as long as it's one of Tillman, Chen on 5+ days rest, or Gonzalez I won't be upset.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #12 by ofahn » September 29th, 2012, 7:15 am

Tillman's normal rotation spot would be the last game of the season against Tampa Bay. Should they hold him back and pitch him on extra rest?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #13 by LA Detective » September 29th, 2012, 1:31 pm

It depends on the magnitude of Wednesday's game...TIlman right now is our best and hottest starter...He is who we would want on the hill for a WC game unless it was a must win on Wed. And the extra day or two of rest would probably help him slightly.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #14 by Old Sneakers » September 29th, 2012, 9:50 pm

Matt P wrote:Tillman with 8 innings of 1 hit ball tonight. Lowering that season ERA to 2.78. The good thing is that as long as it's one of Tillman, Chen on 5+ days rest, or Gonzalez I won't be upset.

What he said! He hit the nail on the head here. With ample rest it should not matter.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 33

PostPost #15 by birdwatcher55 » October 3rd, 2012, 6:12 am

Hammel/Saunders Friday. Realistically everyone is on call for a batter or two 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles