Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Reynolds needs to go

Re: Reynolds needs to go

PostPost #136 by osforlife » September 9th, 2012, 9:22 am

ofahn wrote:
It sounds like you've answered your own question. WHY do you feel like it's important to improve your range? I'd assume it would be to get to more balls; and be able to square up to balls that are at the edge of your current range. WHY would that be any different at 1B? Getting to more grounders would cut down on opponents' hits AND keep more runners from advancing. If you could prevent the opposing team from scoring thirty runs how would that be any different from adding thirty RBIs to your statistics?

Before we make a major investment into an extension for Mark Reynolds, or even consider picking up his 11M option, we should get his word that he will work hard this winter on improving the weak areas of his game. He clearly worked hard last winter on his weight. I'd take his word that he'll work on his range and hitting to the opposite field.

Shortstops are expected to cover alot of ground. First basemen are not. There aren't many instinses where you need to take more than two steps to get to a ball. He has a great first step. And I believe he has a good second step as well. Please cite examples where he couldn't get to a ball he should of if he had a better second third etc step. Because I think you are basing it off of range factor.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #137 by ofahn » September 11th, 2012, 7:05 pm

osforlife wrote:Shortstops are expected to cover alot of ground. First basemen are not. There aren't many instinses where you need to take more than two steps to get to a ball. He has a great first step. And I believe he has a good second step as well. Please cite examples where he couldn't get to a ball he should of if he had a better second third etc step. Because I think you are basing it off of range factor.

I was hoping the "becoming a more complete player helps the team" logic would be persuasive. It appears that we both see a red round piece of fruit but you see a toe - MAY - toe and I see a toe - MAH - toe. Maybe we'll have to agree to disagree about it.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #138 by Matt P » September 13th, 2012, 10:39 am

No articles or links I could find to back this up but a caller on Norris and Davis this morning around 7:50am or so said that some season ticket holders got to meet Duquette yesterday. He said that one person asked about Reynolds' future with the team and Duquette said he wants him back next season. He didn't say if they would pick up the option or if they would sign him to an extension though.

The caller also said that Duquette said he doesn't expect to be a player in the FA market but they will be major players in the trade market.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #139 by ofahn » September 13th, 2012, 12:42 pm

I posted this earlier on another thread but I think it's just as relevant here.

In OBJECTIVELY evaluating Reynolds to decide whether to exercise his 11M option for next year I still see him as an AVERAGE defender at 1B; however, I think he has been trending up from there over that last month or so. The fact that this comes as the games have become more important says a lot for the makeup of the man.

In fact, I would rate his CHARACTER has being his best tool; ahead of his bat and glove. His ML career has been as a 3B, and that position would give him the best value on the open market. He was aware that he was a POOR 3B and listened to whomever told him last year that he would improve his defense at 3B if he lost weight. He came to spring training this year about twenty pounds lighter. That's no small accomplishment, but he wanted to help his team and that shows his dedication to his teammates.

Even though the weight loss helped his existing skill set at 3B it didn't improve the holes in his game there enough to make him even league average there. He has always had a good first step, now it was a MUCH better first step. His extension had been average at best, now it was above average. He has always been good about grabbing the balls near his clove and that hasn't changed. I really think his problems with throwing across the diamond have been that he has too long to think about it from 3B. In watching him last year I remember how the Mark Reynolds reacting from instincts was a much more accurate thrower than the Mark Reynolds that had the time to set up and throw.

The move to 1B allowed him to capitalize on his strengths and mitigate his weaknesses. He's always had a good glove so scooping balls near him was a simple adjustment. Most of his throws now have to be by instinct because there just isn't time to methodically set up first; so what was a weakness in his game is allowed to become a strength. His much improved first step allows him to make plays on the balls hit near him. The reason I still see him as an AVERAGE defender at 1B is that when he lost the weight he didn't also focus on improving his second and third steps.

To be worth 11M TO THIS TEAM he needs to increase his range at 1B to make up for the inconsistency of his bat. If he can take thirty runs off of the board with his glove during the season it would be no different than adding those same thirty RBIs to his own production. He has clearly shown that he's a good teammate so I believe he could improve his defense at 1B if he makes it a goal this winter.

The other issue I have with Reynolds is the streaky nature of his bat. When he's hot he can carry a team as he's shown this past month; but when he's cold he's a dead spot in the lineup. ALL hitters go through slumps (except maybe Mike Trout) but the really good ones learn how to contribute even then. Reynolds tries to pull almost everything. When he's on it's a high lite reel. When he's not it's three Ks in the box score and strikeouts almost NEVER produce any benefit to the team. If he would simply start hitting the outside pitches he can't pull to the opposite field he could easily add thirty or so hits to a 600 AB season, which would probably be worth at least twenty RBIs. I believe I saw a stat that showed he had an average of well over .300 when he put the ball in play. With his strength he could just flick the bat out and push the ball over the 1B's head into RF. Once the league learned that Reynolds could hurt them like that pitchers would have to look for another way to get him out and that would almost certainly mean he would see more pitches in his "happy place".

Frankly, I think he's just more comfortable at 1B and that confidence has been reflected in his play.

If Mark Reynolds would make BOTH of those adjustments THEN he would be worth 11M or more, and I would prefer to keep THAT Mark Reynolds than look for another player to fill his position. We already know what a great teammate THIS mark Reynolds is. His willingness to make a move to help his team that might hurt his value to the rest of the league makes a strong statement about him.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #140 by Matt P » September 26th, 2012, 5:36 pm

He's definitely cooled off at the plate recently but his defense has remained above average.

Here's a little tidbit from Roch today about Bill Hall working out at 1B in the instructional league.

Hall was working out at first base, among other positions, in the instructional league, because Mark Reynolds is playing with some discomfort in his left biceps.

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roc ... ay-dl.html
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #141 by Tucker Blair » September 26th, 2012, 9:33 pm

I'm growing on the idea of him returning.

I also want to point out that at about mid-season I said I was "officially done" with Reynolds.
But this guy just fits with the club. I am not saying he is a must sign or that they should accept the ridiculous option for 11MM. But I would certainly consider bringing Mark back.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #142 by STrone03 » September 26th, 2012, 11:03 pm

I agree. His play has at least made bringing him back worth some deliberation. The beginning of the season I would have said No way Jose.

Soooo glad he is done playing 3B tho.
STrone03
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 1

PostPost #143 by Jordan Tuwiner » September 26th, 2012, 11:08 pm

I think it's likely Reynolds returns next year. I don't see any clear upgrades.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #144 by birdwatcher55 » September 27th, 2012, 1:03 pm

Dan more or less hinted of that recently. I do see an upgrade with free agent starting pitching. We need to bring in one decent arm IMHO 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #145 by Matt P » September 27th, 2012, 1:13 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:I'm growing on the idea of him returning.

I also want to point out that at about mid-season I said I was "officially done" with Reynolds.
But this guy just fits with the club. I am not saying he is a must sign or that they should accept the ridiculous option for 11MM. But I would certainly consider bringing Mark back.

They have 3 options in terms of bringing him back. Accept the 11M option, go to arbitration, or work out a long term deal.

I would try and ink him to a deal similar to the one Hardy got.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #146 by ofahn » September 27th, 2012, 3:48 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:I think it's likely Reynolds returns next year. I don't see any clear upgrades.

The fact that he's so well thought of in the clubhouse increases his chances of coming back. If he would just make some improvements over the winter he would be a true impact player.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #147 by ofahn » September 27th, 2012, 3:49 pm

Matt P wrote:I would try and ink him to a deal similar to the one Hardy got.

At the same salary level?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #148 by osforlife » September 27th, 2012, 7:18 pm

I'd be fine with non-tendering him and signing him to a lesser contract and becoming the fulltime 1st Basemen. Even if we accept the option, its not my money but I think we could get him for less. In a perfect world, Davis works on his defense over at 1st, we don't need Reynolds thanks to Betemit. But I'am afraid that won't be the case. Depth is never a bad thing though .. I think we will bring in one starting pitcher but after that I think all we need is depth depth depth. Britton, Matusz, and Arrieta will be waiting in AAA if it was my decision. Hunter and Johnson will be in the Pen. Hammel, Chen, Tillman, Gonzalez, FA. Wada in swing man role. Now I'am getting off topic haha..
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #149 by LA Detective » September 27th, 2012, 7:34 pm

Buck made a comment last night on MASM, "Chris Davis still has a chance to be a very good first baseman." He came over to us with a scouting report of being above ave defensivly at 1B. I know he botched a few plays earlier in the year but he is athletic for his size. To me it comes down to can CD at least play slightly above ave there. If so, his bat is just so much better. I like them both and am not opposed to MR coming back. I think he is a gamer and good for .235/ 30 hrs next year. I still want to see what happens down the stretch and playoffs. The health of Reimold plays into this too. Will that neck problem be healed? I only would want him to DH most of the time. I wouldnt hand him anything but if healthy Davis and Reimold at 1b and DH would be better only if Davis shows he can bring some D..
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #150 by ofahn » September 28th, 2012, 12:39 pm

LA Detective wrote:Buck made a comment last night on MASM, "Chris Davis still has a chance to be a very good first baseman." He came over to us with a scouting report of being above ave defensivly at 1B. I know he botched a few plays earlier in the year but he is athletic for his size. To me it comes down to can CD at least play slightly above ave there. If so, his bat is just so much better. I like them both and am not opposed to MR coming back. I think he is a gamer and good for .235/ 30 hrs next year. I still want to see what happens down the stretch and playoffs. The health of Reimold plays into this too. Will that neck problem be healed? I only would want him to DH most of the time. I wouldnt hand him anything but if healthy Davis and Reimold at 1b and DH would be better only if Davis shows he can bring some D..

If we could combine Reynolds and Davis we would have virtually the perfect hitter. Davis simply can't handle the low inside pitch, but Reynolds is at least league average with it. Reynolds is unwilling to take outside pitches the other way, but Davis seems to do that well. Reynolds is patient at the plate. Davis, not so much. Reynolds is learning to play a solid 1B. Davis doesn't seem comfortable there.

Both of these players have clearly identifiable flaws that could be fixed with the right effort. If one or the other are willing to do so then I could see our team making a big leap forward next year.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PreviousNext

Return to Baltimore Orioles