Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Don't give up on Arrieta and Matusz yet

Re: Don't give up on Arrieta and Matusz yet

PostPost #16 by ofahn » September 23rd, 2012, 4:39 pm

LA Detective wrote:If we did absoluetly nothing but upgrade at 2b


I just see 2B as the least of our worries. Three months ago I thought we would need a 1B. If Reynolds makes some adjustments, that need is gone. I would add at least one solid SP to a short contract. If we have a surplus of pitching we can cover a lot of faults as they develop, and might be able to trade for any need that arises.
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4400
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: Don't give up on Arrieta and Matusz yet

PostPost #17 by osforlife » September 23rd, 2012, 7:25 pm

I see second base as our weakest link going into next year and right now TBH. I would like an upgrade at second but Roberts is here for another year and I wouldn't go spend for a guy to be here for 3 years or something with Schoop waiting in the wings. Flaherty, Andino, and Adams can fill it out when(I want to say If) Roberts goes down I guess. I really don't have much on my winter shopping list after excess depth and one more starting pitcher.
User avatar
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1628
Joined: October 2011
Location: Southern Maryland
Reputation Score: 59

Re: Don't give up on Arrieta and Matusz yet

PostPost #18 by Matt P » September 24th, 2012, 4:16 pm

Matusz has inherited 15 runners since being promoted and none of them have scored.

Looks like even if he doesn't make it as a starter the O's will be set with him and Patton as lefties in the bullpen for the next 5 or so years.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: October 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Reputation Score: 37

Re: Don't give up on Arrieta and Matusz yet

PostPost #19 by birdwatcher55 » September 25th, 2012, 12:26 pm

Please get Arrieta off this ballclub!!!! 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1624
Joined: November 2011
Reputation Score: 11

Re: Don't give up on Arrieta and Matusz yet

PostPost #20 by A_K » September 25th, 2012, 1:37 pm

Arrieta is proving that he's a very useful player, last night's unfortunate outcome not withstanding.

I'm really glad that he's not only going to be on the playoff roster, but that he'll also be in position for an important late-inning relief role. He's an asset. Can't wait to see him back in the rotation next season.
A_K
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 608
Joined: April 2011
Reputation Score: 43

Re: Don't give up on Arrieta and Matusz yet

PostPost #21 by ofahn » September 25th, 2012, 2:27 pm

A_K wrote:Can't wait to see him back in the rotation next season.


Agree, but I think he would benefit from some additional time with Rick Peterson before he rejoins the rotation (as could Matusz, Britton, and maybe even Tillman. Think of it as the development they never properly had).
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4400
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: Don't give up on Arrieta and Matusz yet

PostPost #22 by birdwatcher55 » September 25th, 2012, 3:03 pm

Sorry but I sincerely hope Arrieta is moved this offseason. This guy has killed us at key moments this year. Time to drop anchor and let that ship sail 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1624
Joined: November 2011
Reputation Score: 11

Re: Don't give up on Arrieta and Matusz yet

PostPost #23 by Matt P » September 25th, 2012, 3:39 pm

A_K wrote:Arrieta is proving that he's a very useful player, last night's unfortunate outcome not withstanding.

I'm really glad that he's not only going to be on the playoff roster, but that he'll also be in position for an important late-inning relief role. He's an asset. Can't wait to see him back in the rotation next season.


Idk that he is on the playoff roster though. JJ, Strop, Hunter, O'Day, Patton, Matusz, Ayala, S. Johnson all are ahead of him IMO. I'd rather see Bundy on the playoff roster than him which would place 9 ahead of him.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: October 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Reputation Score: 37

Re: Don't give up on Arrieta and Matusz yet

PostPost #24 by osforlife » September 25th, 2012, 4:39 pm

Some of his stuff has been dirty in the pen which is all the reason to not just cut him as Birdwatcher says. I wouldn't put him on the playoff roster but I would put him ahead of Bundy. For right now, I'd only be having him pitch one inning stints so we can all watch him dominate. Next Year, he gets to spend time with Rick Petersen for the beginning of the year and then force his way into the rotation along with Matusz and Britton. Tillman is fine and will be in the rotation next year.
User avatar
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1628
Joined: October 2011
Location: Southern Maryland
Reputation Score: 59

Re: Don't give up on Arrieta and Matusz yet

PostPost #25 by Matt P » September 25th, 2012, 5:03 pm

osforlife wrote:Some of his stuff has been dirty in the pen which is all the reason to not just cut him as Birdwatcher says. I wouldn't put him on the playoff roster but I would put him ahead of Bundy. For right now, I'd only be having him pitch one inning stints so we can all watch him dominate. Next Year, he gets to spend time with Rick Petersen for the beginning of the year and then force his way into the rotation along with Matusz and Britton. Tillman is fine and will be in the rotation next year.

I have no interest in cutting him either. I would rather see Bundy on the postseason roster since he's 19 and it would be a great experience.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: October 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Reputation Score: 37

Re: Don't give up on Arrieta and Matusz yet

PostPost #26 by LA Detective » September 27th, 2012, 7:47 pm

Where did Matusz get that moving, sinking fastball he threw a couple of times last night that was low in the zone? The way it swept and sunk I thought it was a slider until I looked at the speed. Unhittable pitch. If he can continue attacking hitters and keeping focused like he is in the BP I really believe he can take this experience and come into next spring as a starter and have the type of year we have been waiting for.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 293
Joined: July 2011
Reputation Score: 14

Re: Don't give up on Arrieta and Matusz yet

PostPost #27 by Jordan Tuwiner » September 27th, 2012, 10:18 pm

LA Detective wrote:Where did Matusz get that moving, sinking fastball he threw a couple of times last night that was low in the zone? The way it swept and sunk I thought it was a slider until I looked at the speed. Unhittable pitch. If he can continue attacking hitters and keeping focused like he is in the BP I really believe he can take this experience and come into next spring as a starter and have the type of year we have been waiting for.

I'd like to see that too. He's enjoyed some success and now it's time to see if they can maximize his value. If that doesn't work out he can always return to the bullpen.
User avatar
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 2588
Joined: September 2010
Location: Israel
Reputation Score: 57



Re: Don't give up on Arrieta and Matusz yet

PostPost #28 by LA Detective » September 28th, 2012, 4:40 pm

He just looks like a completly different pitcher in the Pen right now..His demeanor as much as his pitches...Its not like Hunter or JJ who gain speed on the FB to make them better in the pen..The elements that are making Matusz successful right now can be carried as a starter...I really beleive he could be a sub .3.75/ 15 game winner next year from what he is showing...remember he has had some success as a SP that warranted those predictions at one time...and your right Jordan, if he fails he can go back to being a shut down lefty for about 80 innings out of the pen next year.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 293
Joined: July 2011
Reputation Score: 14

Re: Don't give up on Arrieta and Matusz yet

PostPost #29 by ofahn » September 28th, 2012, 5:00 pm

LA Detective wrote:He just looks like a completly different pitcher in the Pen right now..His demeanor as much as his pitches...Its not like Hunter or JJ who gain speed on the FB to make them better in the pen..The elements that are making Matusz successful right now can be carried as a starter...I really beleive he could be a sub .3.75/ 15 game winner next year from what he is showing...remember he has had some success as a SP that warranted those predictions at one time...and your right Jordan, if he fails he can go back to being a shut down lefty for about 80 innings out of the pen next year.


I'd like to see Matusz, Arrieta, Britton, and Bundy ALL start next year in AAA to put the finish on their skills. Remember, all of these guys BUT Bundy came through a dysfunctional developmental system; and Bundy only had ONE year of proper instruction. We wouldn't have to use any of those guys in the bullpen in April. At this point we could have STEVE Johnson and Wada as long men and JIM Johnson, Strop, Hunter, O'Day, and Patton. THtey constitute heat, deception, and ground balls. Stu Pomerantz would be at AAA along with some other veteran minor leaguers that might do well in a relief role.

If we were to begin next year with a rotation of Chen, Hammel, Tillman, Gonzalez, and a veteran SP (Peavy on a short contract?) we would have better SP depth at AAA than any other team in baseball; and you can NEVER have too much starting pitching.
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4400
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: Don't give up on Arrieta and Matusz yet

PostPost #30 by A_K » September 28th, 2012, 6:35 pm

ofahn wrote:
I'd like to see Matusz, Arrieta, Britton, and Bundy ALL start next year in AAA to put the finish on their skills. Remember, all of these guys BUT Bundy came through a dysfunctional developmental system; and Bundy only had ONE year of proper instruction. We wouldn't have to use any of those guys in the bullpen in April. At this point we could have STEVE Johnson and Wada as long men and JIM Johnson, Strop, Hunter, O'Day, and Patton. THtey constitute heat, deception, and ground balls. Stu Pomerantz would be at AAA along with some other veteran minor leaguers that might do well in a relief role.

If we were to begin next year with a rotation of Chen, Hammel, Tillman, Gonzalez, and a veteran SP (Peavy on a short contract?) we would have better SP depth at AAA than any other team in baseball; and you can NEVER have too much starting pitching.


You've said nothing here I disagree with.
A_K
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 608
Joined: April 2011
Reputation Score: 43


PreviousNext

Return to Baltimore Orioles

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

cron