Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Is Chen running out of gas?

Is Chen running out of gas?

PostPost #1 by Matt P » September 25th, 2012, 7:29 am

In 28.2 August innings he had a 4.40 ERA.
In 29 September innings he has a 5.90 ERA.
His batting average against was it's highest in August and although it has come down in September it's still his 2nd worst month.

I don't know how confident I feel in him going forward. I would only pitch him if he gets extra rest at this point.

I would strongly consider pitching Steve Johnson or Dylan Bundy in his spot next time it comes up.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

Re: Is Chen running out of gas?

PostPost #2 by Tucker Blair » September 25th, 2012, 11:01 am

I think a few people mentioned this a week ago. It sure does seem like it.

It's not a knock on him though, as this is definitely the most he has ever pitched in a season.
I agree that a little rest from here on out would be nice. But time is running out and they need to figure out what they have for the playoffs.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #3 by ofahn » September 25th, 2012, 11:14 am

When I was watching him last night I noticed how stiff he appeared in the first inning. That could be a sign that he hadn't gotten properly loose in the bullpen, which may be a sign that he's fatigued. I would tell him to throw an extra ten pitches or so before his next start and that he was limited to 70 pitches regardless of how far that takes him. I would have either Steve Johnson or Bundy prepared to go into the game at that point.

This approach would keep prepared for the playoffs (I STILL can't believe I'm writing THAT) and allow him to recover a bit more.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #4 by ofahn » September 25th, 2012, 11:14 am

Matt P wrote:In 28.2 August innings he had a 4.40 ERA.
In 29 September innings he has a 5.90 ERA.
His batting average against was it's highest in August and although it has come down in September it's still his 2nd worst month.

Thanks for doing the research. POINTS!
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #5 by birdwatcher55 » September 25th, 2012, 12:25 pm

Definitely looks gassed to me 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #6 by osforlife » September 25th, 2012, 4:24 pm

Yes I think so. I do not feel as confident in this team with Hammel down and Chen struggling. I'd say the wild card game(hopefully there isn't one) goes to Tillman or Gonzalez. Johnson can take Chen's start every other turn or something.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #7 by ofahn » September 25th, 2012, 4:36 pm

osforlife wrote:I'd say the wild card game(hopefully there isn't one) goes to Tillman or Gonzalez

Both of them have pitched well enough to justify trusting them with such a game, but so has Joe Saunders.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by osforlife » September 25th, 2012, 4:40 pm

ofahn wrote:
Both of them have pitched well enough to justify trusting them with such a game, but so has Joe Saunders.

Idk, Personally, I'd pick somebody who has the chance to be dominating, which Saunders does not. Defintily a candidate, but not my first choice. It'll probably come down to time of rest though too.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #9 by bushwick » September 25th, 2012, 4:44 pm

What is going to be the plan for Steve Johnson from here on out? The guy is pitching his ass off and he deserves to keep starting. With the struggles of Chen as of these last 2 months, I think it's time to rest him and start Johnson until the playoffs(hopefully). He needs to rest and we need to ride the hot arm of Johnson.
bushwick
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #10 by ofahn » September 25th, 2012, 4:44 pm

osforlife wrote:Idk, Personally, I'd pick somebody who has the chance to be dominating, which Saunders does not. Defintily a candidate, but not my first choice. It'll probably come down to time of rest though too.

Of the three Tillman is the guy who can have no hitter stuff anytime he takes the mound, but he's also IMO the one that might not handle the pressure of that kind of game.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #11 by Matt P » September 25th, 2012, 5:04 pm

bushwick wrote:What is going to be the plan for Steve Johnson from here on out? The guy is pitching his ass off and he deserves to keep starting. With the struggles of Chen as of these last 2 months, I think it's time to rest him and start Johnson until the playoffs(hopefully). He needs to rest and we need to ride the hot arm of Johnson.

Steve Johnson definitely deserves to start.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #12 by Old Sneakers » September 25th, 2012, 10:10 pm

Regarding the OP

Chen getting more than 150 IP this season was a major boost to this club. He's at or over 180 something innings. Certainly the guy is experiencing a very long season. No knock on him as others have stated. He's been the team's best pitcher all season long.

Also as others have stated, Steve Johnson and possibly Jake Arrieta are also viable options. Arrieta may be less deserving but it seems to me he's built to start and not nearly seen so many innings. Johnson, well that is just a no brainer.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

Return to Baltimore Orioles