Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Aberdeen Ironbirds Season Review

Aberdeen Ironbirds Season Review

PostPost #1 by Tucker Blair » September 25th, 2012, 9:33 am

http://orioles-nation.com/2012/09/25/20 ... ironbirds/

The Ironbirds (28-48) had a tough 2012 season. There is simply no other way of putting it. Coming into the year, it was known that they had a very raw team. The Ironbirds’ hitters were primarily older players just drafted in 2012 (21.7 Average Batting Age). The pitchers on the other hand, were one of the younger groups in the NYPL (21.0 Average Pitching Age).

It showed this season, as the pitching was very inconsistent and took their road bumps along the way. The hitters also went on cold-streaks and games without scoring runs. Overall it was a frustrating season for this short-season club, but there were plenty of good things that happened as well.

Below are some observations and thoughts on the year, as I was able to see many of these players multiple times in my trips to Ripken Stadium. I could not fit everyone on here, but I would welcome any discussion on the players not listed on the forums.

Feel free to discuss these players or ask any questions on others.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

Re: Aberdeen Ironbirds Season Review

PostPost #2 by Shorebirdfan » September 25th, 2012, 11:09 pm

Although Boss is a great name, nothing beats Vader. :D

Seeing Tommy on the Shore for so much time and the family support he had as a local kid, I was very happy to see his successs on the mound. I did however, find it odd that they continued to let him play in the field on occassion. I would the value of a solid closer type would dictate that the need to let him focus on improving himself as a pitcher.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

Re: Aberdeen Ironbirds Season Review

PostPost #3 by Tucker Blair » September 25th, 2012, 11:14 pm

Shorebirdfan wrote:Although Boss is a great name, nothing beats Vader. :D

Seeing Tommy on the Shore for so much time and the family support he had as a local kid, I was very happy to see his successs on the mound. I did however, find it odd that they continued to let him play in the field on occassion. I would the value of a solid closer type would dictate that the need to let him focus on improving himself as a pitcher.

Both those names are so good!
I think Tommy is my favorite story this year. It's so great to see him having success. Even better that he's a local.
I thought that was a little weird as well. I guess they didn't really have another Middle INF option though at that point.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

Return to Minor Leagues