Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Orioles promote Dylan Bundy

Orioles promote Dylan Bundy

PostPost #1 by Matt P » September 19th, 2012, 7:10 am

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal

BREAKING: #Orioles, in need of a fresh arm following their 18-inning victory, have promoted their top pitching prospect, Dylan Bundy, 19
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

Dylan Bundy promoted to parent club

PostPost #2 by Don » September 19th, 2012, 7:12 am

After the 18 inning game, the bullpen was over taxed and need an insurance arm for the "just in case moment". The Orioles leaked around 5 AM that Dylan Bundy was promoted to the Orioles.

He will join the team in Boston and not head out west for the matinee game with the Mariners. It will be interesting to see if he is used, but I think his role will be strictly "emergency" related role.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

Re: Dylan Bundy promoted to parent club

PostPost #3 by ofahn » September 19th, 2012, 7:28 am

Well, he gets his dream of being in the ML before he turned twenty. GOOD FOR HIM. He earned this promotion by working hard this season, listening to what he was told, and going to the Instructional League without any arguments even though he had to be disappointed he wasn't called up.

I hope Buck can find some innings for him.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Re: Orioles promote Dylan Bundy

PostPost #4 by Jordan Tuwiner » September 19th, 2012, 7:37 am

I merged Don's thread with Matt P's. Matt posted it about 2 minutes earlier.

Let's just say that this news woke me up this morning after I woke up from 4 hours of sleep.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #5 by Old Sneakers » September 19th, 2012, 10:46 am

If this is an emergency only scenario. I am OK with it. But it seems there were other options that would have done just fine in relief.

I sure hope this doesn't blow up in anyone's face.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #6 by birdwatcher55 » September 19th, 2012, 11:59 am

Very surprising. O's going all-in. Hope this works out 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #7 by A_K » September 19th, 2012, 12:42 pm

Very curious how Bundy's unorthodox warm up program will mesh with the need to get ready quickly in the bullpen.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #8 by Matt P » September 19th, 2012, 4:17 pm

Don wrote:After the 18 inning game, the bullpen was over taxed and need an insurance arm for the "just in case moment". The Orioles leaked around 5 AM that Dylan Bundy was promoted to the Orioles.

He will join the team in Boston and not head out west for the matinee game with the Mariners. It will be interesting to see if he is used, but I think his role will be strictly "emergency" related role.

Duquette said he is available out of the bullpen tonight.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #9 by ofahn » September 19th, 2012, 4:18 pm

A_K wrote:Very curious how Bundy's unorthodox warm up program will mesh with the need to get ready quickly in the bullpen.

My guess that would use him in a game like last night. That would allow plenty of time to warm since he would know he's going to start an inning.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by A_K » September 19th, 2012, 5:03 pm

ofahn wrote:
My guess that would use him in a game like last night. That would allow plenty of time to warm since he would know he's going to start an inning.

Still wouldn't allow for him to begin playing long toss three hours before his first pitch, however.
A_K
GCL Orioles

PostPost #11 by ofahn » September 21st, 2012, 12:06 pm

A_K wrote:
Still wouldn't allow for him to begin playing long toss three hours before his first pitch, however.

True enough, but I don't see that as being an issue here.

Bundy has been doing his long toss routine for so long that it's no longer taxing on his arm. It's really just a way to loosen up and probably has the comfort of being a routine. I could see him doing it before each game so that he feels more comfortable about pitching that night. Perhaps someone with more information will correct me on this, but it's not something I see as a problem.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #12 by ofahn » September 23rd, 2012, 4:04 pm

Nice debut by the kid today. Pressure situation and he looked like he belonged there.

Now that he's gotten this behind him I would feel comfortable bringing him in at any point.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #13 by Jordan Tuwiner » September 23rd, 2012, 11:56 pm

ofahn wrote:Nice debut by the kid today. Pressure situation and he looked like he belonged there.

Now that he's gotten this behind him I would feel comfortable bringing him in at any point.

I didn't get a chance to watch. Only saw the two pitches for outs.

How did he look?
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #14 by ofahn » September 24th, 2012, 9:30 am

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:I didn't get a chance to watch. Only saw the two pitches for outs.

How did he look?

His first pitch was wide and you could tell he was nervous (who WOULDN'T be) but he induced a pop up with the next pitch and another pop up on four pitches to the second batter. Buck really showed some faith in the kid and he proved to be worthy of it.

BTW - he probably proved to himself that he CAN get ML hitters out WITHOUT his cutter. He used his slider twice (I believe) effectively.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #15 by Tucker Blair » September 24th, 2012, 12:29 pm

Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles