Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Miguel Gonzalez is incredible

Miguel Gonzalez is incredible

PostPost #1 by Matt P » September 22nd, 2012, 1:06 am

He has started 13 games. In 9 of those games he has allowed 2 ER or less. 9 out of 13!!!!!!!
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: October 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Reputation Score: 37

Re: Miguel Gonzalez is incredible

PostPost #2 by osforlife » September 22nd, 2012, 9:19 am

I don't think he was at his sharpest last night like he was against the yanks a couple outings ago. I think all the excess innings might be taking a toll on him, but he might be good with all the extra rest. Either way, i'am penciling him into my 2013 rotation. Are you guys?
User avatar
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1628
Joined: October 2011
Location: Southern Maryland
Reputation Score: 59

Re: Miguel Gonzalez is incredible

PostPost #3 by Jordan Tuwiner » September 22nd, 2012, 11:12 am

Matt P wrote:He has started 13 games. In 9 of those games he has allowed 2 ER or less. 9 out of 13!!!!!!!

Truly amazing. Also hard to believe he was forced into the rotation because of the struggles of Matusz, Arrieta, and Hunter.
User avatar
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 2588
Joined: September 2010
Location: Israel
Reputation Score: 57



Re: Miguel Gonzalez is incredible

PostPost #4 by Matt P » September 22nd, 2012, 7:15 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:Truly amazing. Also hard to believe he was forced into the rotation because of the struggles of Matusz, Arrieta, and Hunter.


Not many people had much faith in the 3 of them so I don't get what you mean.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: October 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Reputation Score: 37

Re: Miguel Gonzalez is incredible

PostPost #5 by ofahn » September 23rd, 2012, 3:45 pm

osforlife wrote:I don't think he was at his sharpest last night like he was against the yanks a couple outings ago. I think all the excess innings might be taking a toll on him, but he might be good with all the extra rest. Either way, i'am penciling him into my 2013 rotation. Are you guys?


This is not a slight against Miguel, but I hope the Orioles have five SPs that are better than him next year. It would be quite a rotation. He really gets the best out of his talent but he needs to be more efficient with his pitches, just like several other of our young pitchers. You would like to see them pitching into the Seventh Inning or longer consistently. Our bullpen was great this year but that's not something you can count on every year. By taking the strain off of them by having the rotation average 6+ innings or better a game you reduce the need for long men and allow some of the nastier guys to go just an inning at a time, once or twice a week.
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4400
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: Miguel Gonzalez is incredible

PostPost #6 by osforlife » September 23rd, 2012, 7:10 pm

ofahn wrote:
This is not a slight against Miguel, but I hope the Orioles have five SPs that are better than him next year. It would be quite a rotation. He really gets the best out of his talent but he needs to be more efficient with his pitches, just like several other of our young pitchers. You would like to see them pitching into the Seventh Inning or longer consistently. Our bullpen was great this year but that's not something you can count on every year. By taking the strain off of them by having the rotation average 6+ innings or better a game you reduce the need for long men and allow some of the nastier guys to go just an inning at a time, once or twice a week.

So you're looking for starting pitchers that go at least 6 innings? Because he does that quite well. Even longer then six innings he does well.
User avatar
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1628
Joined: October 2011
Location: Southern Maryland
Reputation Score: 59

Re: Miguel Gonzalez is incredible

PostPost #7 by ofahn » September 23rd, 2012, 9:31 pm

osforlife wrote:So you're looking for starting pitchers that go at least 6 innings? Because he does that quite well. Even longer then six innings he does well.


Last year I would have been THRILLED to have Miguel Gonzalez in my rotation, but now I'm getting greedy. I want lock down SP. I want SP that will allow the bullpen to flirt with hot chicks instead of having to warm up. So, yes, as good as Miguel has been this year I don't want him to be one of our best five SPs next year.
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4400
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: Miguel Gonzalez is incredible

PostPost #8 by Jordan Tuwiner » September 23rd, 2012, 11:43 pm

Matt P wrote:
Not many people had much faith in the 3 of them so I don't get what you mean.

People wanted Gonzalez promoted, but I don't think anyone expected him to be this good. Usually it was one bad starter down, one bad starter up. Amazing that it's Gonzalez who's finding success.
User avatar
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 2588
Joined: September 2010
Location: Israel
Reputation Score: 57



Re: Miguel Gonzalez is incredible

PostPost #9 by ofahn » September 24th, 2012, 9:34 am

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:Amazing that it's Gonzalez who's finding success


He doesn't seem to get rattled and isn't afraid to challenge hitters. Wouldn't it be nice to say that about Arrieta?
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4400
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: Miguel Gonzalez is incredible

PostPost #10 by Jordan Tuwiner » September 24th, 2012, 1:03 pm

ofahn wrote:
He doesn't seem to get rattled and isn't afraid to challenge hitters. Wouldn't it be nice to say that about Arrieta?

Nice to see him doing that in relief at least. I think he'll get another shot at starting next year.
User avatar
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 2588
Joined: September 2010
Location: Israel
Reputation Score: 57



Re: Miguel Gonzalez is incredible

PostPost #11 by ofahn » September 24th, 2012, 1:05 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:I think he'll get another shot at starting next year.


I agree, BUT it should be after Arrieta gets some more time with Rick Peterson next year to get the developmental attention he didn't get as he was coming through the farm system.
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4400
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: Miguel Gonzalez is incredible

PostPost #12 by Matt P » September 24th, 2012, 4:10 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:People wanted Gonzalez promoted, but I don't think anyone expected him to be this good. Usually it was one bad starter down, one bad starter up. Amazing that it's Gonzalez who's finding success.

Oh, I get ya now. Yeah, it is pretty crazy.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: October 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Reputation Score: 37

Re: Miguel Gonzalez is incredible

PostPost #13 by osforlife » September 24th, 2012, 4:37 pm

Last year I would have been THRILLED to have Miguel Gonzalez in my rotation, but now I'm getting greedy. I want lock down SP. I want SP that will allow the bullpen to flirt with hot chicks instead of having to warm up. So, yes, as good as Miguel has been this year I don't want him to be one of our best five SPs next year.[/quote]
He has started 13 games. In 9 of those games he has allowed 2 ER or less. 9 out of 13!!!!!!! Is that not lockdown enough?His splitter is dirty and hitters keep swinging at his slider. He has great poise and solid command with his fastball. Hitters just don't hit him. He deserves every shot to be in the rotation next year.
User avatar
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1628
Joined: October 2011
Location: Southern Maryland
Reputation Score: 59

Re: Miguel Gonzalez is incredible

PostPost #14 by ofahn » September 24th, 2012, 4:40 pm

osforlife wrote:He has started 13 games. In 9 of those games he has allowed 2 ER or less. 9 out of 13!!!!!!! Is that not lockdown enough?His splitter is dirty and hitters keep swinging at his slider. He has great poise and solid command with his fastball. Hitters just don't hit him. He deserves every shot to be in the rotation next year.


As I said, I'm greedy. I want five pitchers that can go seven or more innings all the time. I want five pitchers better than Chen or Hammels. If Gonzalez takes his game to the next level then I want him, too.
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4400
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: Miguel Gonzalez is incredible

PostPost #15 by osforlife » September 24th, 2012, 4:47 pm

ofahn wrote:
I want five pitchers that can go seven or more innings all the time.

So basically you're looking for what..5 Cy Youngs?? Cmon man, Jared Weaver doesn't go 7 innings all the time.
User avatar
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1628
Joined: October 2011
Location: Southern Maryland
Reputation Score: 59


Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests