Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Tommy Hunter in the bullpen.

Tommy Hunter in the bullpen.

PostPost #1 by Matt P » September 22nd, 2012, 7:21 pm

This guy looks great out of the bullpen. I know he did well out of the pen with Texas but I didn't expect him to be this good.

As for the 100 MPH pitch ... wow. I think he's earned a shot to pitch in the 6th/7th/8th with the game close.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

Re: Tommy Hunter in the bullpen.

PostPost #2 by osforlife » September 22nd, 2012, 9:12 pm

Tommy Hunter earned the win with a scoreless 11th inning. His fastball was clocked at 101 mph on the Fenway Park radar gun.

"If that gun's right," Showalter said, "he may have found a home." From Masnsports.com. I think I've only seen him hit 97mph but he really has an arm. In that Kogi trade, we got alot of strength. Helluva arm in Hunter and Helluva bat in Davis. I don't think I'd try Hunter as a starter again..but Matusz and Arrieta for sure. I feel confident with our starting pitching depth knowing we have Steve Johnson and Tommy Hunter in the bullpen with Brian Matusz, Jake Arrieta, and possibly Zach Britton in the minors.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #3 by Matt P » September 23rd, 2012, 12:45 am

I'd be very surprised if all of them are in the organization next year.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #4 by Tucker Blair » September 23rd, 2012, 9:57 am

Hunter is around the zone a lot. Add that on with his velocity being around 90-92 while a starter, and you have a ton of balls crushed out of the park.

With a tick of velocity in the pen, he could easily be a reliable option. I am not entirely surprised by his success there. I am surprised by how much the tick in velocity turned out to be though.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #5 by birdwatcher55 » September 23rd, 2012, 10:36 am

I think Hunter has always been viewed as a late inning bullpen type guy. Hit 101 on the gun Saturday!! .. I would look at him as a definite eighth inning setup guy in ST. Would also love to bring back Lindstrom for added depth 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #6 by ofahn » September 23rd, 2012, 3:39 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:Hunter is around the zone a lot. Add that on with his velocity being around 90-92 while a starter, and you have a ton of balls crushed out of the park.

With a tick of velocity in the pen, he could easily be a reliable option. I am not entirely surprised by his success there. I am surprised by how much the tick in velocity turned out to be though.

When you can throw 96+ MPH you really only have to keep the ball below the belt to be effective. Particularly, when the batter will only see you one in the game. Hunter might want to go back to starting, but IMO this is the role that will allow him to have a successful ML career. I hope he has some long conversations with Jim Johnson about how to succeed in the majors.

A big part of the success of the Orioles' bullpen over the last few months has been the ability to throw so many different looks at the opposing team. Almost everyone coming out of the pen has a different approach than the rest. It really messes with a hitter's timing.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #7 by Jordan Tuwiner » September 23rd, 2012, 11:57 pm

Matt P wrote:This guy looks great out of the bullpen. I know he did well out of the pen with Texas but I didn't expect him to be this good.

As for the 100 MPH pitch ... wow. I think he's earned a shot to pitch in the 6th/7th/8th with the game close.

Without a doubt. It's great to see him emerge with Strop struggling.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Return to Baltimore Orioles