Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Walking Doesn't Always Equal Winning

Walking Doesn't Always Equal Winning

PostPost #1 by Tucker Blair » September 21st, 2012, 12:35 pm

To make a long story short, this team does not walk and they still win.
I don't really need to go into all the details about how this team wins, we all watch the games.

I was looking at some statistics this morning and it stuck out like a sore thumb how little this team walks:

Taking a walk is so overrated! Just ask these O's:
Manny Machado (2.0%)
Adam Jones (5.1%)
JJ Hardy (5.5%)
Chris Davis (6.4%)
Wilson Betemit (8.2%)
Robert Andino (8.7%)
Nick Markakis (8.9%)
Nate McLouth (9.6%)

Those are 8 key players from this year who have a BB% under 10.0
In fact, only Mark Reynolds (14.4%) and Matt Wieters (10.4%) are over 10.0%.

I find that rather remarkable to be honest. To me, it shows that it is completely feasible to win in other ways besides taking walks. While I don't think they are actually "overrated", it's amazing to see a club with such a good record whom doesn't take any walks.
Anyone who watches this team knows that the Power makes up for a lot of other areas. They do have 5 guys with over 20 HR (Jones, Hardy, Wieters, Reynolds, Davis). I also would go on record saying this team takes more pitches than their BB% indicates. BB's probably don't always translate to amount of pitches seen.
Even so, the team is still probably below the pack in this area.

Just thought it was interesting, and another thing to tack onto this amazing and unbelievable ride. So much for that OBP you wanted Dan Duquette!
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

Re: Walking Doesn't Always Equal Winning

PostPost #2 by Matt P » September 22nd, 2012, 12:55 am

I care more about them working the count and raising opposing pitchers pitch counts (which they have done a much better job of this season). Although, if they walked more all those HR would likely drive in more runs.

I don't think that walking is overrated though. I think the team would benefit greatly next year if they got on base more. It's hard to rely on the long ball.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

Re: Walking Doesn't Always Equal Winning

PostPost #3 by Jordan Tuwiner » September 23rd, 2012, 11:48 pm

The O's are actually in the top half of the league in BB%, which is weird.

They rank 15th in the majors at 7.8%.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Return to Baltimore Orioles