Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

2011 Orioles Lineup

2011 Orioles Lineup

PostPost #1 by Dave Gershman » March 4th, 2011, 5:09 pm

As Opening Day is nearing, it's time to get excited about your 2011 Orioles. As most of you are probably wondering what the 2011 lineup will look like, here's what I got:

Brian Roberts
Nick Markakis
Derrek Lee
Vladimir Guerrero
Luke Scott
Mark Reynolds
Matt Weiters
Adam Jones
J.J. Hardy

What's yours?
Dave Gershman
Staff Writer
Orioles Nation Staff
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

Re: 2011 Orioles Lineup

PostPost #2 by Shorebirdfan » March 4th, 2011, 7:47 pm

I'd like to see them move Wieters even further in the line up, but I don't see him even reaching 7. Flip him and Jonees and that is what I would expect to see.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #3 by DougDE » March 5th, 2011, 5:49 am

Flipping Jones and Wieters and everything else the same is what I think too. I want to see Wieters that far down and see what happens with him sort of being an afterthought. I think he could break out this year. Probably not to the level we thought 2 years ago, but I could see something like .280, 22 hr, 85 rbi
DougDE
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #4 by Don » March 5th, 2011, 10:34 am

This. Would not be an everyday lineup, but to shake things up once a week I would like to see Markakis lead off and Jones in the two hole. I would give Roberts a rest, even if Buck wants to keep him in the lineup, and bat him in the nine hole. This would be my solution to his sub package with izzy in the lineup as well.

As far as your lineup, we both prefer the alternation and I like having the speed on the back end. While marching orders are in the 5 to 7 slot, it really only impacts the first go around. I tend to think Hardy and Jones can clear the paths, but also provide speed for the top of the order to drive in runs. Better balance in lineup to maximize output with your lineup over the second and third at bats.

Good call
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #5 by Jordan Tuwiner » March 5th, 2011, 1:50 pm

Thanks for stopping by, Dave. I 100% agree, I'd throw the same lineup out there.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #6 by Jordan Tuwiner » March 5th, 2011, 1:52 pm

Shorebirdfan wrote:I'd like to see them move Wieters even further in the line up, but I don't see him even reaching 7. Flip him and Jonees and that is what I would expect to see.

That would probably be the only change I'd consider making. If Wieters starts off hot I'd definitely bump him up in the lineup. If I remember correctly, you had compared Wieters to Buster Posey and wanted to throw him (Wieters) into the 3 spot further into the season. I wouldn't mind seeing that.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #7 by Jordan Tuwiner » March 5th, 2011, 1:57 pm

DougDE wrote:Flipping Jones and Wieters and everything else the same is what I think too. I want to see Wieters that far down and see what happens with him sort of being an afterthought. I think he could break out this year. Probably not to the level we thought 2 years ago, but I could see something like .280, 22 hr, 85 rbi

That would put him at about 4.0-4.5 WAR. That's an all-star catcher right there.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by Shorebirdfan » March 5th, 2011, 8:06 pm

Jordan wrote:
Shorebirdfan wrote:I'd like to see them move Wieters even further in the line up, but I don't see him even reaching 7. Flip him and Jonees and that is what I would expect to see.

That would probably be the only change I'd consider making. If Wieters starts off hot I'd definitely bump him up in the lineup. If I remember correctly, you had compared Wieters to Buster Posey and wanted to throw him (Wieters) into the 3 spot further into the season. I wouldn't mind seeing that.

Good memory. He will never have the opportunity to get protection from a more feared hitter than Vlad (maybe a better one, but not more feared). If the club thinks this kid is the next coming (as the media billed him) while in the minors, stick him 3rd followed by Vlad and Lee. At that point we'll see if he is the catcher of a generation or just a good player who we are glad to have.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #9 by 2131andBeyond » March 9th, 2011, 12:41 pm

I'd flip Jones/Wieters, and as a thought that many people don't take on as I do, I'd flip Reynolds and Luke. Push the lefty down the lineup.

This is all speculative, of course, assuming DLee is ready come April 1.
2131andBeyond
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

Return to Baltimore Orioles