Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Will the O's make the playoffs? 68% said no in early July

Will the O's make the playoffs? 68% said no in early July

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » September 17th, 2012, 12:56 am

I posted a poll on July 9th asking readers whether the Orioles will make the playoffs. 68% of readers said no. 27% said they'd take the wild card and 4.8% said they'd take the division.

Honestly, right now, I think they take the division. They Yankees schedule is slightly harder and the Orioles have always played well in September under Buck.

What do you guys think?
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: Will the O's make the playoffs? 68% said no in early July

PostPost #2 by ofahn » September 17th, 2012, 8:46 am

I don't know whether it's Joe Girardi or the pride of their veterans, but the Yankees are playing FAR above their talent level right now. Ironically, so are we. I think it will come down to which team wants it more and the Orioles are hungry.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #3 by Rising O's » September 17th, 2012, 2:16 pm

If the Orioles just play winning baseball 9-7, it will be very tough for the Angels to catch-up, nevermind the Rays. Obviously its much better to win the division and that may be decided on the last day, but the wild card is within reach based on the standings of being clinched sooner.

Angels play the Rangers, White Sox, Mariners and on the road in Texas and Mariners. Not easy at all.

White Sox do not get a day off the rest of the season I believe. Yikes. 1 vs Detroit, @ Royals, @Angels, 3 Indians, 4 Rays, @ Indians

Detroit 1 @ WSox, A's, Twins, 4 Royals, @ Twins, @ Royals. Much easier road ahead to win the division

A's @ Detroit, @ Yanks, @ Texas, vs Mariners, vs Texas. Not an easy road at all, but still have strong wild card lead.
Last edited by Rising O's on September 17th, 2012, 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #4 by birdwatcher55 » September 17th, 2012, 2:24 pm

Close but no 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #5 by Matt P » September 17th, 2012, 5:37 pm

I think if they do it will be because Oakland, LAA, and Texas all beat up on each other enough that the O's can steal a Wild Card spot.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #6 by ofahn » September 17th, 2012, 5:43 pm

When Buck made the statement that them team was focused on beating the Yankees it was, in part, for the benefit of the fans; but if you think about it given where we are today it MAY be easier to win two more games than the Yankees than it would be to win two more games than Oakland. If we do either we're ALMOST guaranteed a spot in post season play.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #7 by osforlife » September 17th, 2012, 5:48 pm

Honestly, The Rangers are the only team that I wouldn't feel confident going into a 7 or 5 game series. They are the only sure fire better team than us IMO. I'd be worried about playing the A's too but they are very beatable. I wouldn't want to play the Angels in a one game playoff game with Weaver on the mound. But I'd feel good going into a 5 or 7 game series against the Yanks, Tigers, Rays, Angels, Chisox.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 58

PostPost #8 by Matt P » September 17th, 2012, 6:29 pm

osforlife wrote:Honestly, The Rangers are the only team that I wouldn't feel confident going into a 7 or 5 game series. They are the only sure fire better team than us IMO. I'd be worried about playing the A's too but they are very beatable. I wouldn't want to play the Angels in a one game playoff game with Weaver on the mound. But I'd feel good going into a 5 or 7 game series against the Yanks, Tigers, Rays, Angels, Chisox.

I think Texas, Los Angeles, and Oakland are all much better than the O's. O's best case scenario is win the AL East, have 2nd best record among division winners, and get an AL Central team in the first round. Then, maybe they can catch fire and upset Texas, LAA, or Oakland in the ALCS.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #9 by osforlife » September 18th, 2012, 2:32 pm

Matt P wrote:
I think Texas, Los Angeles, and Oakland are all much better than the O's. O's best case scenario is win the AL East, have 2nd best record among division winners, and get an AL Central team in the first round. Then, maybe they can catch fire and upset Texas, LAA, or Oakland in the ALCS.
After re-looking the Angels roster, I'am scared haha. Do not wanna face them but would rather face them than Texas. The A's are pretty crappy on paper but thanks to a pitchers park and some SP's catching fire, that why they are in it right now IMO. And yes thats what I was thinking. We could easily beat the Tigers and Whitesox and hopefully upset in the ALCS.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 58

PostPost #10 by LA Detective » September 18th, 2012, 5:04 pm

This was a completly different team in July. We were among the worst in BB at LF,3b, 1b and leadoff. And the young pitchers for the most part hadnt stepped up.

Now, we have great D, we have a balanced line-up top to bottom. MR has improved at 1b. We have added depth to the whole staff and most of the young pitchers have really stepped up one way or another.

With Markakis and Hammel, i really believed we had a great chance to go all the way. I mean all the way. Division and WS Champs. I felt our everday lineup defensively as well as on offense mixed together could match up with anyone. How unsusual is it to have the top 5 in your lineup Gold Glovers (Hardy will win this year)!! Thats a solid baseball team. With Hammel and Chen (pitching on 5 days rest) I feel we could match up with anyone's top 2. Then we go with the hot hand at #3 and #4. And we all know how good our BP is.

Without M and H, we are still a good battling team. We still put a solid lineup out there, our pitching has held their own and our BP is still great. Our chances are less but Texas and NY has holes. We are better than Chicago. We could win the division but chances are probably about 30%. we will hold off the Angels for a WC game. I even think we will win that one gamer at Oakland and face Texas in the 1st round. That will be a tough one with out M and H. But I dont think we will lay down for anyone and the team on the field right now will give any team fits in a series.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #11 by Matt P » September 18th, 2012, 7:39 pm

osforlife wrote: After re-looking the Angels roster, I'am scared haha. Do not wanna face them but would rather face them than Texas. The A's are pretty crappy on paper but thanks to a pitchers park and some SP's catching fire, that why they are in it right now IMO. And yes thats what I was thinking. We could easily beat the Tigers and Whitesox and hopefully upset in the ALCS.

The Angels roster is just ridiculous. I wonder if Scioscia will be fired if they don't make the playoffs this year.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Return to Baltimore Orioles