Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Britton

Britton

PostPost #1 by Zach » August 30th, 2012, 9:07 pm

What was the logic behind sending Britton down. I understand that we needed to open a roster spot for Randy Wolf (ugh) and that he would still be able to start his next scheduled start since Norfolk's season will be over, but why would we take Britton off of the playoff roster when he has been picthing so well recently. I understand that he can get back on with an injury, but why risk that?
Zach
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

Re: Britton

PostPost #2 by ofahn » August 30th, 2012, 9:09 pm

Zach wrote:What was the logic behind sending Britton down. I understand that we needed to open a roster spot for Randy Wolf (ugh) and that he would still be able to start his next scheduled start since Norfolk's season will be over, but why would we take Britton off of the playoff roster when he has been picthing so well recently. I understand that he can get back on with an injury, but why risk that?

I wouldn't have done it.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #3 by legmason » August 30th, 2012, 11:21 pm

I see what your saying but its all a moot point. He isn't going to pitch in relief and he can still
come up and make his next start. Him going down only makes sense so the o's can have some lefty bullpen relief. This move has nothing to do with Britton. Wolf isn't taking his spot.
legmason
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #4 by Matt P » August 31st, 2012, 1:53 am

It wouldn't be a big deal if it wasn't for the fact that the O's are playoff contenders. Now, they are going to have to hope someone gets injured to fit him on the playoff roster. He's the 4th best starter on the team and his last 3 starts he has shown why he was so highly touted and why he was the best pitcher on the team last year.

Signing Wolf is almost as bad as trading for Thome. The only reason it's not as bad is because they didn't give up anything for Wolf.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #5 by Don » August 31st, 2012, 6:02 am

Do not worry, Britton will still be on the playoff roster. There are funny little circumventing rules with pitchers that allow the Orioles to put him down and bring him up without having to sacrifice his playoff eligibility.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #6 by birdwatcher55 » August 31st, 2012, 6:15 am

My understanding is he returrns to pitch against Toronto next week and can be added to the playoff roster simply by replacing someone who is currently on the DL 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #7 by bushwick » August 31st, 2012, 11:12 am

Don wrote:Do not worry, Britton will still be on the playoff roster. There are funny little circumventing rules with pitchers that allow the Orioles to put him down and bring him up without having to sacrifice his playoff eligibility.

Please explain how this works?
bushwick
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #8 by thezeroes » September 2nd, 2012, 8:31 am

bushwick wrote:
Please explain how this works?

Basically anyone that is on the forty man roster is eligible for the Post-Season Rosters. Britton's supposed demotion was just a clerical move to enable Wolf to also be eligible for post season.
thezeroes
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 38

PostPost #9 by birdwatcher55 » September 17th, 2012, 3:07 pm

Is he safe to start again?? Bullpen anyone??? 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

Return to Baltimore Orioles