Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Was that Buck's worst game with the O's?

Was that Buck's worst game with the O's?

PostPost #1 by Matt P » September 15th, 2012, 12:54 am

He's been so great since day 1 but wow that was painful tonight.

Not bunting Andino with Machado on 1st and nobody out with the game tied in the 5th. Not bunting Endy Chavez with Xavier Avery on 1st and nobody out down by 1 in the 9th. Then, the worst of them all, taking the bat out of the hot Chris Davis' hands trying to steal 2nd with 2 outs to end the game.

Just a horrible managed game by Buck tonight. I'm not holding it against him, it happens, I just can't remember three horrible decisions like that from Buck in one game.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

Re: Was that Buck's worst game with the O's?

PostPost #2 by Oriole85 » September 15th, 2012, 1:12 am

If this was his worst game, were in a pretty good position. You can second guess all you want. We grounded into 4 GIDPs that's why we lost. I think some are overreacting to the Xavier Avery SB. If it works out, is he suddenly a genius? Good chance Chris Davis strikes out anyways. I think the idea was to make a hit, a run. Hypothetically speak, if Avery isn't running and he only gets to third, your second guessing becomes if he runs him, we tie the game.

If you can't remember three worse decision, rewatch every game Buck has managed since he took over, I guarantee you'll find a worse one.

Let me point out one decision that he made that you would've likely criticized if it went wrong, bringing Saudners back for the 5th. The reason this doesn't become the 4th one you listed because he got out of unscathed. All through my TL, many were suggesting taking him out.

Recentism is a deadly disease.
Oriole85
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #3 by Matt P » September 15th, 2012, 1:33 am

No doubt we are in great position with Buck (who IMO is the best manager in the league). I just feel tonight was horribly managed. It being such a huge game late in the season makes it stand out more I suppose.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #4 by OriolesRedskins28 » September 15th, 2012, 1:46 am

I think not having Andino bunt with a runner on 1st and less than 2 outs in ANY situation is a poor decision. He is a GIDP MACHINE. Rolls over way too many pitches for ground balls.

I was shocked he chose Endy Chavez to pinch hit if he wasn't going to bunt. Chavez is a TERRIBLE hitter LH vs. RHP matchup or not. I don't understand Buck's fascination/obsession with Chavez, I know he likes to stick with his veterans but sheesh Endy has been horrible all year.

FWIW I was flabbergasted that the pitch Avery was thrown out on wasn't called strike 3. It looked like it was right down the middle.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #5 by OriolesRedskins28 » September 15th, 2012, 1:48 am

Brittany Ghiroli on Chavez not bunting:

"Also, Chavez didn't bunt because the Orioles were going for the win, not a tie. Bullpen too taxed already to play more extra innings. "

Confuses me even more that Chavez got the call to hit. He would literally be my last option in that situation.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #6 by Oriole85 » September 15th, 2012, 1:52 am

OriolesRedskins28 wrote:Brittany Ghiroli on Chavez not bunting:

"Also, Chavez didn't bunt because the Orioles were going for the win, not a tie. Bullpen too taxed already to play more extra innings. "

Confuses me even more that Chavez got the call to hit. He would literally be my last option in that situation.

Think we found that out later, Betemit wasn't available.
Oriole85
DSL Orioles

PostPost #7 by Oriole85 » September 15th, 2012, 1:55 am

Matt P wrote:No doubt we are in great position with Buck (who IMO is the best manager in the league). I just feel tonight was horribly managed. It being such a huge game late in the season makes it stand out more I suppose.

Well they have the best one-run record in baseball history(or close to it after tonight).

The results weren't there tonight, doesn't mean it was horribly managed. Think you are very off-base here with the "worst" comment. Probably just a bunch of overreacting and ask yourself if this is still the "worst" in a few weeks.
Oriole85
DSL Orioles

PostPost #8 by Matt P » September 15th, 2012, 1:11 pm

So, they didn't bunt Endy Chavez because they were "playing for the win". But, they risked losing the game to get Avery in scoring position so that if Davis got a single it would be tied? I'm sorry but that doesn't add up.

Davis is hitting .324/.388/.704 in his last 20 games. Absolutely no reason to risk taking the bat out of his hands with 2 outs in the 9th. As soon as Wieters was safe my first thought was "good, now Davis has a chance".
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #9 by birdwatcher55 » September 17th, 2012, 2:30 pm

It's the only game this year I really question 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

Return to Baltimore Orioles