Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

L.J. Hoes and Endy Chavez Up, Gregg and Adams DFA'd

L.J. Hoes and Endy Chavez Up, Gregg and Adams DFA'd

PostPost #1 by Tucker Blair » September 11th, 2012, 2:30 pm

The Orioles today announced that they have selected the contracts of OF Endy Chavez and L.J. Hoes from Triple-A Norfolk. To make room for them on the 40-man roster, RHP Kevin Gregg and INF Ryan Adams have been designated for assignment.

Chavez batted .190/.222/.281 with two home runs and eight RBI in 47 games with the Orioles earlier this season. He was designated for assignment on August 4 and played 15 games for Triple-A Norfolk after being outrighted.

Hoes will be making his major league debut. He batted .300/.374/.397 with three home runs, 38 RBI and 54 runs scored in 82 games with Triple-A Norfolk after beginning the season with Double-A Bowie, where he batted .265/.368/.372 in 51 games. Hoes, the Orioles 3rd round pick in the 2008 First Year Player Draft out of St. John’s High School in Washington, D.C., will wear jersey #71.

Gregg went 3-2 with a 4.74 ERA (43.2IP, 23ER) in 40 appearances for the Orioles this season.

Adams batted .224/.312/.353 with four home runs and 20 RBI in 65 games with the Tides this season.

Here is my scouting report on Hoes from back in July: http://orioles-nation.com/2012/07/26/l- ... ng-report/
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

Re: L.J. Hoes and Endy Chavez Up, Gregg and Adams DFA'd

PostPost #2 by ofahn » September 11th, 2012, 2:48 pm

Well, this ACTUALLY makes sense. I was hoping they would bring both of them up, and I felt we could DFA Adams and still keep him in the organization if we wanted to. I simply had my doubts that they would EVER cut their losses on Gregg. Considering that we lost Neshek (doing well for Oakland), and Bergerson (doing well for AZ), and Berken in order to keep Gregg, he seemed to be a VERY valuable player (SARCASM).
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #3 by Matt P » September 11th, 2012, 3:01 pm

They refused to cut ties with Gregg and now they get rid of him with less than a month to go in the season? I guess they finally reached the point where they couldn't let another talented player go at his cost after seeing Berken and Socolovich go to the Cubs.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #4 by Tucker Blair » September 11th, 2012, 3:23 pm

I wouldn't make much of this. I doubt Hoes plays that much honestly.
I don't really see the point of it to be honest (from the Hoes perspective obviously).
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #5 by ofahn » September 11th, 2012, 3:46 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:I wouldn't make much of this. I doubt Hoes plays that much honestly.
I don't really see the point of it to be honest (from the Hoes perspective obviously).

Buck has been traditionally biased towards his veterans, but I think it would be a mistake not to give Hoes some playing time. It would help the team long term to get an idea whether he can play at this level.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #6 by osforlife » September 11th, 2012, 4:10 pm

Do you guys think Adams will be claimed? He did okay after he came back from injury. I'am in the minority here but I think he should be in contention to win the starting job at second next year. Nobody stepped up this year; neither did Adams but he would be our best option at the plate. It does seem kind of strange to keep Gregg all this time only to cut him now. Hoping we get Patton back soon. Johnson and O'Day are our only reliable relievers right now with Strop stuggling. Hopefully, Hunter, Arrieta, and Matusz can be succesful down the stretch as quality one inning relievers. I don't see Avery or Hoes recieving much playing time.
Last edited by osforlife on September 12th, 2012, 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #7 by Rising O's » September 11th, 2012, 6:04 pm

Had to put Hoes on the 40 man anyway so may as well do it now. No reason to keep either of those two guys. Ty Kelly is better offensively than Adams. I'm very happy the Orioles made this move even if Hoes does not get on the field much, as it will be valuable experience for him. But hey, I want him in the line-up more than a few times, let the kid work counts, take walks and get on base.

Now about moving Jones to right and McClouth to center...
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #8 by A_K » September 11th, 2012, 7:31 pm

ofahn wrote:Well, this ACTUALLY makes sense. I was hoping they would bring both of them up, and I felt we could DFA Adams and still keep him in the organization if we wanted to. I simply had my doubts that they would EVER cut their losses on Gregg. Considering that we lost Neshek (doing well for Oakland), and Bergerson (doing well for AZ), and Berken in order to keep Gregg, he seemed to be a VERY valuable player (SARCASM).

Don't forget Simon.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #9 by ofahn » September 11th, 2012, 7:36 pm

A_K wrote:
Don't forget Simon.

I didn't include him because we traded him and didn't lose him trying to hold on to Gregg.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by A_K » September 11th, 2012, 7:43 pm

ofahn wrote:
I didn't include him because we traded him and didn't lose him trying to hold on to Gregg.

Factually incorrect.

The Reds selected him off waivers on April 3 after the Orioles released him on March 31. He was outrighted because they believed they did not have a place for him, and undeniably Kevin Gregg played into that (terrible) decision.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/playe ... html#trans

http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/news/a ... l&c_id=bal
A_K
GCL Orioles

PostPost #11 by ofahn » September 11th, 2012, 7:44 pm

A_K wrote:
Factually incorrect.

The Reds selected him off waivers on April 3 after the Orioles released him on March 31. He was outrighted because they believed they did not have a place for him, and undeniably Kevin Gregg played into that (terrible) decision.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/playe ... html#trans

http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/news/a ... l&c_id=bal

I thought you meant KYLE Simon. Maybe you should have typed See - MOAN.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #12 by A_K » September 11th, 2012, 7:46 pm

ofahn wrote:
I thought you meant KYLE Simon.

Ahh. I see. That makes sense. Well, in case anyone else isn't aware, this would be a good time to point out how awesome Alfredo has been this year, once the Reds put him in his appropriate role.

2.43 ERA (3.05 FIP) in 55 innings pitched. http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?pl ... position=P
A_K
GCL Orioles

PostPost #13 by ofahn » September 11th, 2012, 7:56 pm

A_K wrote:
Ahh. I see. That makes sense. Well, in case anyone else isn't aware, this would be a good time to point out how awesome Alfredo has been this year, once the Reds put him in his appropriate role.

2.43 ERA (3.05 FIP) in 55 innings pitched. http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?pl ... position=P

You're right and I had left him off of my list.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #14 by ofahn » September 14th, 2012, 4:27 pm

ofahn wrote:I felt we could DFA Adams and still keep him in the organization if we wanted to

Adams has cleared waivers and been out righted to AAA. Now we'll have to see if he's in the team's plans for next year.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #15 by osforlife » September 28th, 2012, 9:43 am

Shame we lost Bergesen, Berken, Neshek, Socolovich, and Simon to keep Gregg for 3/4 of a season. Every single pitcher we lost was under team control for at least two years.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

Return to Baltimore Orioles