Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

What will the Orioles do with Nate McLouth?

What will the Orioles do with Nate McLouth?

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » September 11th, 2012, 10:41 pm

Nate McLouth as an Oriole this year:
- 0.8 fWAR
- .341 wOBA
- 10.2 BB%
- .152 ISO

I wouldn't mind going into 2013 with him as our LFer.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: What will the Orioles do with Nate McLouth?

PostPost #2 by Matt P » September 11th, 2012, 11:08 pm

I'd look into resigning him but if some team is going to overpay for him based on half a seasons worth of production let them have him.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #3 by ofahn » September 12th, 2012, 7:43 am

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:Nate McLouth as an Oriole this year:
- 0.8 fWAR
- .341 wOBA
- 10.2 BB%
- .152 ISO

I wouldn't mind going into 2013 with him as our LFer.

Do you believe he can hold up against LHs for an entire season? I would prefer to keep Riemold off of the field to keep him healthy, but I could see him platooning with McLouth in LF and Davis at DH.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #4 by Tucker Blair » September 12th, 2012, 1:37 pm

Matt P wrote:I'd look into resigning him but if some team is going to overpay for him based on half a seasons worth of production let them have him.

agree with this.
Nate has been a good find, but he is not worth the 2.5MM + contract he probably is going to get. Of course it is not my money so I have no problem if they do sign him. I think DD will try and find as many of these types of guys as possible next year. Who is to say Lew Ford and McLouth both won't be back. There is also no guarantee that Reimold, Hoes, Avery help next year. Although you hope that is the case.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #5 by legmason » September 12th, 2012, 5:08 pm

I've been really impressed with McLouth and would have no problem with him being our starting left fielder next year. With that said I would love to see what Hoes and Avery can do given a full season in the bigs but I don't think they're quite there yet. I haven't seen Hoes play yet but my hunch is that he's put himself ahead of Avery in some regards despite not playing for the big league club yet.

I've always loved Reimold too but as we've seen he can't be relied upon to take left and run with it. The big kicker to me in this whole discussion is that McLouth can not only play great defense but he has speed and can be an acceptable lead off hitter until Hoes or Avery force the organizations hand. We have some nice depth in the outfield at this point and I personally don't think Webb is all that far away either. This time next year we could be discussing his potential promotion to the bigs as well.
legmason
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #6 by osforlife » September 12th, 2012, 7:19 pm

I like Hoes being our starting left fielder going into next year. Why not give the rookie a chance? Avery needs more time to groom and Reimold can be DH/4th OF. Someone will probably overpay for McLouth and if that is the case, let him go. I don't expect Nate, Lew, or Endy to be back with us next year. I have doubts Nate can keep this up. He hasn't hit well in 2 years+ prior to the 34 games with us.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #7 by birdwatcher55 » September 17th, 2012, 2:45 pm

I like him as our starting LF next year. Let Reimold DH. I would make Hoes force his way into the lineup 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #8 by Ampontan » September 19th, 2012, 11:55 am

TuckerBlair89 wrote:Nate has been a good find, but he is not worth the 2.5MM + contract he probably is going to get.

If the two minor league hitting coaches have gotten his bat back on track, as he has given them credit for. Then he is worth...I don't understand the abbreviation, 2.5 million a year? He's worth that now.
Ampontan
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #9 by Old Sneakers » September 19th, 2012, 1:21 pm

+ rep to TuckerBlair89

I expect LF to be a platoon scenario again next season. If they bring back McLouth it remains unclear if anyone will push for playing time behind him. Furthermore the team seems likely to go out and find the best fitting pieces it can afford at LF, SP, 2B etc... Slightly over paying McLouth seems reasonable. 2B is what scares me for next year though.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 33

PostPost #10 by Old Sneakers » September 21st, 2012, 6:21 am

I wanted to expand on what I had above. When I look at Nate McLouth's career numbers I just do not see a lead off type hitter. I do not know if L.J. Hoes is or not but he did look to at least be solid this past season in AAA. Honestly, I would rather go with a platoon at LF next year with Hoes, Reimold and one other each pushing each other for playing time. Also see more money go into starting pitching than LF. I feel its a position much easier to fill.

I do not really care about power for the lead off hitter. Doubles and being a run producing machine matter a great deal more.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 33

PostPost #11 by birdwatcher55 » September 21st, 2012, 6:35 am

Give this man a (new) contract!!!! :D
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #12 by ofahn » September 21st, 2012, 11:27 am

Old Sneakers wrote:I wanted to expand on what I had above. When I look at Nate McLouth's career numbers I just do not see a lead off type hitter. I do not know if L.J. Hoes is or not but he did look to at least be solid this past season in AAA. Honestly, I would rather go with a platoon at LF next year with Hoes, Reimold and one other each pushing each other for playing time. Also see more money go into starting pitching than LF. I feel its a position much easier to fill.

I do not really care about power for the lead off hitter. Doubles and being a run producing machine matter a great deal more.

I'd like to see McLouth come next year with a contract in the 2M range as a BASE and incentives that could add another 2M based on playing time. It may be the best deal he can get and it allows him to double his money based on his productivity. He should be smart enough to know that Buck is biased towards Veterans and he will get every opportunity to play as long as he produces.

If Nick Markakis could play today I would put him at lead off and I bat McLouth second against at least RHers. This isn't a knock on JJ Hardy, but McL's OBA numbers are much better than his.

I still feel that Hoes and Avery will be productive MLers, but I don't see either of them as a better PLAYER than McLouth at this point, or next season. Hoes' bat will probably be the equal of McLouth's at some point, but there's no guarantee that it will be next year. McLouth's glove is much better than Hoes, as is his speed. If Riemold can't play the field next year then Hoes may get the chance to be the fourth OF and play against some tough LHers.

IMO Avery needs to rediscover what caused the team to call him up this season. He has a plus glove and blazing speed, but I wouldn't want to count on him being ready for even a fourth OFer spot coming out of ST next year.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #13 by osforlife » September 21st, 2012, 5:06 pm

MO: Avery starts out in center field for the Tides. Hoes in the everyday left fielder with Reimold getting at-bats as DH, pinch hitting, 4th OF, and maybe a little 1st base. McLouth gets overpayed by another team. I have doubts he can keep this production up too.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #14 by ofahn » September 21st, 2012, 5:15 pm

osforlife wrote:Reimold getting at-bats as DH, pinch hitting, 4th OF

I think all of the parties would be better off if Riemold spent as little time in the OF as possible. He's an AVERAGE fielder, but he's a bigger health risk. Where that man excels is when you put a bat in his hands. He's a natural.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #15 by osforlife » September 21st, 2012, 5:23 pm

ofahn wrote:
I think all of the parties would be better off if Riemold spent as little time in the OF as possible. He's an AVERAGE fielder, but he's a bigger health risk. Where that man excels is when you put a bat in his hands. He's a natural.

Oh Yeah He was heading for a big season. McLouth is the best fielder off the three(LJ, Nolan, Nate) but I have a feeling a team will overpay for him because of his limited success here. From what I've read, Reimold and LJ are both average defensively. If Reimold deems he's ready to play, I wouldn't retain him to only DH. But LJ should be getting the majority of the starts is Nate decides to go elsewhere.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles