Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

2010 Bluefield Orioles Season Review

2010 Bluefield Orioles Season Review

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » September 9th, 2010, 2:30 am

http://orioles-nation.com/2010/09/09/20 ... on-review/

Top Prospects

Top 5 Position Prospects
1. Jonathan Schoop
2. Michael Ohlman
3. Brenden Webb
4. Dudley Leonora
5. Riley Hornback

Top 5 Pitching Prospects
1. Jarret Martin
2. David Baker
3. Cameron Roth
4. Angel Cespedes
5. Jacob Petitt
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: 2010 Bluefield Orioles Season Review

PostPost #2 by BuckMagic » September 9th, 2010, 7:09 pm

How much did Roth sign for? Is Schoop really a better prospect than Ohlman?

I'm interested in how often pitchers like Martin are able to get some command of their pitches. He obviously has a lot of potential but what are the chances he ever figures out where the ball's going?
BuckMagic
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #3 by Jordan Tuwiner » September 9th, 2010, 9:12 pm

BuckMagic wrote:How much did Roth sign for? Is Schoop really a better prospect than Ohlman?

I'm interested in how often pitchers like Martin are able to get some command of their pitches. He obviously has a lot of potential but what are the chances he ever figures out where the ball's going?

Not sure on the exact number, but I'd imagine somewhere in the $75,000-$125,000 range.

I've seen Schoop multiple times this season and have come away impressed each time. This kid really knows what he's doing at the plate. Waits for his pitch, good ability to identify off-speed stuff, could become an elite contact bat.

Zach Britton's first minor league season:

Code: Select all

Year   Age        Tm   Lg  ERA  G GS   IP  H  R ER HR BB SO  WHIP H/9 HR/9 BB/9
2006    18 Bluefield APPY 5.29 11 11 34.0 35 22 20  4 20 21 1.618 9.3  1.1  5.3

Martin was a year older, but rookie league stats should be taken with a grain of salt.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #4 by allstar1579 » September 9th, 2010, 9:33 pm

BuckMagic wrote:How much did Roth sign for? Is Schoop really a better prospect than Ohlman?

I haven't seen them live, I try not to see guys before high-A at the earliest, but friends that have seen Ohlman say he was a "horrible way to spend money". Needless to say they were not high on him at all, I forget all the specifics but something about his swing mechanics and they just thought he looked lost. Money spent does not equal better talent unfortunately.

And like Jordan said in the other post, don't worry about stats in these low levels, they really don't mean much of anything until you start getting into Frederick and Bowie. Most of the time the team has them working on specific goals and not statistics, so like a couple years ago when they sent Matusz down, he wasn't allowed to use his change in certain situations, so that he would have to learn to locate and pitch off of his fastball better. I'm sure to a degree they had Hobgood doing the same thing this year, and other guys as well. The lower minors are really for instruction and learning good habits, the mid minors are to apply what they've learned and then the high minors are to show that they are ready for the majors.
allstar1579
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #5 by Jordan Tuwiner » September 9th, 2010, 9:46 pm

allstar1579 wrote:I haven't seen them live, I try not to see guys before high-A at the earliest, but friends that have seen Ohlman say he was a "horrible way to spend money". Needless to say they were not high on him at all, I forget all the specifics but something about his swing mechanics and they just thought he looked lost. Money spent does not equal better talent unfortunately.

Heard the same thing from a few of my guys and when I saw him in ST, I cam away thinking the same thing. Haven't seen him since then though. Only good thing I've heard about him since then is a few good reports on his defense, but that's about it.

allstar1579 wrote:And like Jordan said in the other post, don't worry about stats in these low levels, they really don't mean much of anything until you start getting into Frederick and Bowie. Most of the time the team has them working on specific goals and not statistics, so like a couple years ago when they sent Matusz down, he wasn't allowed to use his change in certain situations, so that he would have to learn to locate and pitch off of his fastball better. I'm sure to a degree they had Hobgood doing the same thing this year, and other guys as well. The lower minors are really for instruction and learning good habits, the mid minors are to apply what they've learned and then the high minors are to show that they are ready for the majors.

Exactly. Rookie league stats should give you an idea of what type of player someone is, but they aren't always indicative of future ability.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Return to Minor Leagues