Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Markakis season over

Markakis season over

PostPost #1 by dan72 » September 8th, 2012, 9:52 pm

So how does the loss of Markakis effect the team going down the stretch? Early report is out 6 weeks. IMO this could cost the Orioles the playoffs. Nick has been a veteran leader, a table setter, a gold glove defender and a fan favorite.

Anyone think that was an intential hit on Nick?
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

Re: Markakis season over

PostPost #2 by Rising O's » September 8th, 2012, 10:07 pm

I would say no. But I put nothing past Joe Girardi.

I've been trying to think of how they fill the void since he got hit.

Jones in right? McClouth in center. Mix and match in left. I'd also call-up LJ Hoes and get him in the mix too. In order to do that though, someone has to come off the 40 man. There are a few candidates we would not miss like Tolleson, Gregg and Flaherty.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #3 by dan72 » September 8th, 2012, 10:35 pm

I think it was an intentional hit. At this point every manager knows who has the highest OBP, and who sets the tone for the team. They were down big at the time of the hit and I feel it was a frustration move on Sabathia's part. Sabathia is a great pitcher. In 637 AB's against this year he has only hit 2 Left handed batters. Every year he is in the converstaion for the CY young award. He knew exactly what he was doing..... thats just my opinion.
I do agree that RF will be a collection of Avery, Ford and possibly Davis, while McClouth will most likely hold down RF. Gotta love the pop in Ford's bat, Avery is probably your best defensive choice and Davis is kinda hit and miss. McClouth is a great find off the scrap heap but he is no Markakis. Replacing his OBP will be impossible.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #4 by Matt P » September 9th, 2012, 1:39 am

I feel horrible for Markakis. He stayed with the organization even when they were the laughing stock of baseball and now when they are finally contenders he is going to miss out.

As for filling in RF I am expecting an Avery/Ford platoon in either RF or LF with McLouth the everyday starter at the other corner OF spot.

It wouldn't surprise me if we see Chris Davis in the OF some which would enable Betemit to get some time at DH vs right handed pitching. Maybe a Davis/Ford platoon? Who knows.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #5 by Old Sneakers » September 9th, 2012, 1:58 am

I did not see the pitch so I cannot comment on it being intentional. What I do know is that it's a huge loss. The team didn't have a true lead off type to begin with and now it's lost its best on base guy.

Very unfortunate
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 33

PostPost #6 by Rising O's » September 9th, 2012, 9:31 am

There is no lead-off or even #2 hitter on the roster.

McClouth he's really the only option. Maybe being in a playoff hunt has rekindled his drive.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #7 by birdwatcher55 » September 9th, 2012, 10:25 am

I have to think we make some type of move outside of the organization 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #8 by ofahn » September 9th, 2012, 11:09 am

Rising O's wrote:McClouth he's really the only option.

I would try him first since he's had the most experience, but if he fails I wouldn't be afraid to try Machado there. It would give him an opportunity to learn patience at the plate.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #9 by birdwatcher55 » September 9th, 2012, 7:25 pm

Markakis headed for surgery on Tuesday. Says his recovery time could be cut by three weeks!! 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #10 by Oriole85 » September 10th, 2012, 12:50 pm

dan72 wrote:So how does the loss of Markakis effect the team going down the stretch? Early report is out 6 weeks. IMO this could cost the Orioles the playoffs. Nick has been a veteran leader, a table setter, a gold glove defender and a fan favorite.

Anyone think that was an intential hit on Nick?

The very idea that CC hit Markakis intentionally on an 0-2 count with 2 outs with a lot on the line for the Yankees, just doesn't make sense.

Does this help them, probably not. Is it as lethal as some are suggesting, probably not either. The margin for error just a got less. But who knows, maybe this adversity makes them hungrier. Truth be told I think it hurts them though, since he's been such a catalyst in the leadoff spot. His fielding is somewhat easier to replace IMO, he's been limited in that department somewhat since coming back anyways.

If I learned one thing this year, it's not to count the O's out. They've battled back every time this year, that's happened.

Of course Nick's injury gives the convinient excuse in the event they miss the playoffs by a game or two to play the "IF" game.
Oriole85
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #11 by Oriole85 » September 10th, 2012, 12:52 pm

Rising O's wrote:Jones in right? McClouth in center. Mix and match in left. I'd also call-up LJ Hoes and get him in the mix too. In order to do that though, someone has to come off the 40 man. There are a few candidates we would not miss like Tolleson, Gregg and Flaherty.

While I don't think Jones in RF is a terrible idea, I wouldn't do it. He's very good&comfortable in CF. You'd still need to find a comparable CF who could do what he does so while it's potentially solving one problem, it's just possibly creating another.
Oriole85
DSL Orioles

PostPost #12 by Oriole85 » September 10th, 2012, 12:55 pm

Matt P wrote:I feel horrible for Markakis. He stayed with the organization even when they were the laughing stock of baseball and now when they are finally contenders he is going to miss out.

I mean him/B-Rob could've gone elsewhere, but they got a lot of $$$ to stay here, they didn't exactly take a discount. That said, it's a shame that the two longest tenured players who did "suffer" through so much aren't able to enjoy the first "real" September baseball in 15 years. It must be very bittersweet for both of them -- seeing the team play meaningful games at this time but not being able to take part in them.
Oriole85
DSL Orioles

PostPost #13 by Oriole85 » September 10th, 2012, 2:07 pm

ofahn wrote:
I would try him first since he's had the most experience, but if he fails I wouldn't be afraid to try Machado there. It would give him an opportunity to learn patience at the plate.

I wouldn't try Machado there in the heat of a September pennant race just for him to learn. If the club feels that's their best option, OK. But I don't think radical experimenting at this point is a good idea. There's always Spring Training next year!
Oriole85
DSL Orioles

PostPost #14 by ofahn » September 10th, 2012, 2:08 pm

Oriole85 wrote:I don't think radical experimenting at this point is a good idea.

As Buck has said "who else"?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #15 by Oriole85 » September 10th, 2012, 2:40 pm

ofahn wrote:
As Buck has said "who else"?

Like I said if he's your best option sure, I just don't like the reasoning for teaching him "plate discpline" as if this is the time to be doing on-the-job training.
Oriole85
DSL Orioles

Return to Baltimore Orioles