Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Jason Berken Designated For Assignment

Jason Berken Designated For Assignment

PostPost #1 by ofahn » September 3rd, 2012, 11:21 am

September 3, 2012 10:08 AM by Roch Kubatko

The Orioles purchased Phillips' contract from Norfolk, as expected, to give them a third left-hander in the bullpen.

To make room on the 40-man roster, the Orioles have designated pitcher Jason Berken for assignment.

Berken made one appearance with the Orioles this season, allowing two earned runs (seven total) and six hits in one inning against the Rangers. He was 5-6 with a 3.50 ERA in 26 starts with Norfolk.

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roc ... today.html

We MIGHT lose him. Some teams have an open slot on their 40 Man Roster at this time of the year.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Re: Jason Berken Designated For Assignment

PostPost #2 by birdwatcher55 » September 3rd, 2012, 6:19 pm

Goodbye and good luck 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #3 by thezeroes » September 3rd, 2012, 8:52 pm

I do believe he was out of options after this year and his spot on the 40 man roster was in jeopardy. With some of the players on the 60 Day DL needing to be added later in the year (After the WS) and those that need to be added for Rule 5 purposes, the roster will be limited for some of these Four A types. IMO

I do not know if he was Designated before but he may end up on a MiLB roster until the end of the World Series when he can (I think) become a MiLB Free Agent. He may have enough time for first year eligibility arbitration player.
thezeroes
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 38

PostPost #4 by birdwatcher55 » September 4th, 2012, 12:26 pm

My little prediction: he will never see a MLB game again unless he pays his way in 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #5 by osforlife » September 4th, 2012, 4:23 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:My little prediction: he will never see a MLB game again unless he pays his way in 8-)

What does that mean? He was very good in 2010 before his surgery if I'am correct. He's never gonna be an effective starter in the majors but I could see him becoming a decent reliever again. We just don't have the time to see what he has being in the thick of a playoff race. Sneaky Fastball and Good Slider when on.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

Return to Baltimore Orioles