Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Reynolds needs to go

Re: Reynolds needs to go

PostPost #91 by ofahn » August 21st, 2012, 1:27 pm

I'm not sure I understand the line of logic that says you shouldn't consider a player because what he HAS done may not translate into what he MIGHT do, but you should consider Reynolds because what he has done MAY translate into what he MIGHT do.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #92 by Matt P » August 22nd, 2012, 4:46 pm

Adam Wolff wrote:If you think Reynolds is just having a down year and his prior few seasons were more indicative of what he can do, then I think you try to bring him back on a cheaper deal. If you think this is just the player he's become, then I think you go in another direction.

This poor season was terrible timing for Mark. I wouldn't be surprised to see him sign a 1 year deal, perhaps with us, to try to re-establish some value before signing a larger, long term deal.

It seems like for the last 5+ years since I've really been on Orioles related websites that every time a proven player off a down year is a free agent most O's fans want to immediately sign them to a 1 or 2 year deal with the hopes that he may bounce back. Yet with Reynolds most people want him gone and want to have nothing to do with him. If he was playing great defense at 1B like he currently is and had 30 HR at this point he would have his option picked up for next season. Now, since he is having a down year at the plate, he may sign a 2 year deal worth around 12-15 million which IMO would be well worth it.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #93 by Matt P » August 28th, 2012, 9:15 pm

Still has the 2nd highest OBP on the team (3rd if you count McLouth) and still makes 2 or 3 great plays at 1B every night. It's a good thing he didn't go anywhere.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #94 by Matt P » September 1st, 2012, 1:45 am

3 sensational defensive plays and 2 HR 8-)

If he keeps it up he may get them to exercise that 11 million dollar option.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #95 by ofahn » September 1st, 2012, 6:56 am

Matt P wrote:If he keeps it up he may get them to exercise that 11 million dollar option.

If he had played like this ALL YEAR then I would agree.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #96 by Shorebirdfan » September 1st, 2012, 12:04 pm

He could make himself a lot of money in the next 30 days. Since its not my money, I am hopeful.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #97 by ofahn » September 1st, 2012, 12:56 pm

Shorebirdfan wrote:He could make himself a lot of money in the next 30 days. Since its not my money, I am hopeful.

I hope he has a GREAT September (and maybe October?). I just don't want to go through another feast and famine season with him. When he's cold he's just a BLACK HOLE in the lineup, and we have too many of those kind of hitters.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #98 by osforlife » September 2nd, 2012, 3:46 pm

Reynolds is making it real tough on Buck when Betemit comes back. You need to get Wilson in the lineup against righties. He destroys them. But I wouldn't sit Reynolds with the way he's playing now. I guess it's a question of whether Buck wants McLouth's defense in the field or Davis' bat in the lineup. He has come up with a couple of big hits but isn't really hitting that well here in Baltimore. Interesting to see what Buck does.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #99 by Tucker Blair » September 2nd, 2012, 3:53 pm

osforlife wrote:Reynolds is making it real tough on Buck when Betemit comes back. You need to get Wilson in the lineup against righties. He destroys them. But I wouldn't sit Reynolds with the way he's playing now. I guess it's a question of whether Buck wants McLouth's defense in the field or Davis' bat in the lineup. He has come up with a couple of big hits but isn't really hitting that well here in Baltimore. Interesting to see what Buck does.

He's been back for 2 days.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #100 by osforlife » September 2nd, 2012, 3:55 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:He's been back for 2 days.

Well thats embarassing. I never did read the article of who they four players were that they called up. I'd DH him vs righties.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #101 by Tucker Blair » September 2nd, 2012, 3:57 pm

osforlife wrote:Well thats embarassing. I never did read the article of who they four players were that they called up. I'd DH him vs righties.

It's alright, we all have our moments :D
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #102 by ofahn » September 2nd, 2012, 5:27 pm

First, I want to congratulate Mark Reynolds on his spectacular day. Clearly, he was the difference in the game.

Now, I want to show why I don't think the team should bring him back next year at 11M. Let's assume that he has another 114 ABs this season and produces 12 singles, 12 doubles, and 9 home runs resulting in 25 RBIs. By anyone's evaluation that would be an excellent month. Even if he did that, he would still have only 75 RBIs and a Slg % of less than .500. For a 1B with quick reflexes but limited range whose Ks result in so many unproductive outs, it's just NOT a good investment. Add to that the fact that his production is either RED HOT or ICE COLD and a team that expects to compete for the post season next year NEEDS to look for a better solution.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #103 by Matt P » September 3rd, 2012, 3:28 am

Like I said all season long this is why you don't give up on a player like Mark Reynolds.

Some will say he gets ice cold and red hot but they are just trying to cover their tracks because they now realize they were wrong about him. He's been playing Gold Glove defense at 1B for over a month now and his bat has been coming along slowly but surely. He had a great August and I'm looking forward to a great September and October.

The Yankees announcers were in shock with all his great plays at 1B asking "is this the same guy that couldn't field a routine ground ball at 3B?"
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #104 by ofahn » September 3rd, 2012, 7:28 am

A team that expects to compete for the post season next year NEEDS to look for a better solution.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #105 by Adam Wolff » September 3rd, 2012, 9:59 am

I'm not opposed to bringing Reynolds back, but it would have to be on a restructured deal. I think he's proven that he's not a defensive liability anymore, it's just a matter of what you think his bat truly is. I don't think you can put too much stock into how a guy finishes a season, but you also can't discount it either. Perhaps Reynolds finally feeling comfortable in his role defensively has enabled him to put the focus back on his offense. It'll be interesting to see what the O's interest is in him after this season, as well as what kind of interest is shown around the league.
@AdamWolff
Adam Wolff
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 4

PreviousNext

Return to Baltimore Orioles