Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Will this team ever get any credit?

Will this team ever get any credit?

PostPost #1 by Matt P » August 29th, 2012, 10:30 am

Reading today's headline MLB article on ESPN about the Orioles really agitates me. Here is the link: http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/ ... of-destiny

A team of destiny? Really?

In April and May it was "wait until June they will be in last place", then in June it was "wait until the All Star break they won't be over .500", then after the All Star break it was "they won't be around at the end of August", and even after proving everyone wrong it's now "well, maybe they are destined to make the playoffs".

I just don't get it. Even in that article he discounts the Orioles were "for real" until their last 30 games. They have been solid every month and only had one losing month so far this season.

It's just sad that even if they do end up in the playoffs they won't ever be recognized for anything other than being a cinderella team or a team of destiny. As if a team can play cinderella for 162 games, what a joke.

I guess the Rays had to go through this until they were good for multiple years in a row but it still sucks.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

Re: Will this team ever get any credit?

PostPost #2 by jowend » August 29th, 2012, 10:49 am

When we duplicate this next year, then they will figure it out. If they are not too stupid.
jowend
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #3 by birdwatcher55 » August 29th, 2012, 12:15 pm

I don't care about getting credit. I have a stelth mindset: Let's just keep flying under the radar, make the post season and then do damage. 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #4 by Oriole85 » August 29th, 2012, 2:47 pm

It's like what Billy Beane (Brad Pitt) said in Moneyball unless they are WS Champs, no one is going to think they are "for real." And even then, I guarantee you, people will say this was the "flukest" championship team in any major sport.
Oriole85
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #5 by Oriole85 » August 29th, 2012, 2:51 pm

I think the team had a bit of good luck -- got bailed out, came up with a key hit when you least expected it, etc. But nonetheless I don't think they get the credit they deserved. You win this long, it's not a complete accident. The Astros are like 1-11 in extra inning games, that has to be completely "flukey" right? A team really can't get that "unlucky" in extra inning games. My point is if they were losing the "close games" at the rate they are currently winning them, we would be hearing all about how they can't win the "close wins" not how *unlucky* they've gotten.

And there's been very little luck in the past month or so, they are outperforming their competition.
Oriole85
DSL Orioles

PostPost #6 by birdwatcher55 » August 31st, 2012, 6:20 am

The acid test is this weekend 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #7 by Old Sneakers » August 31st, 2012, 2:14 pm

The team would get some respect if the starting rotation were far more reliable and in far less a state of constant flux.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 33

PostPost #8 by Oriole85 » August 31st, 2012, 2:28 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:The acid test is this weekend 8-)

Well that works until next weekend!
Oriole85
DSL Orioles

PostPost #9 by dan72 » August 31st, 2012, 11:25 pm

Did you see what Bobby Valentine said on a sports talk show today? He said "The Orioles are lucky". I guess that would make him and the Redsux unlucky???? Over the course of 162, the ball is going to bounce both ways, you are going to get some call and you are going to have some go against you. Luck has verry little to do with it.

What Bobby V needed to say is Buck has pulled all the right strings and put his players in a place where they can be successful. Buck has gotten the most out of what he has.
I think its great to see the Redsux struggle. Lets see how many redsux nation fans will be at Camden come late October this year, my guess would be not many. During the 80's and 90's they didn't travel, not until they started to compete yearly did you see massive numbers of Redsux fans flood Camden.

So to answer the question, no we will not get any credit. Even our division opponents don't respect us.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #10 by Matt P » September 1st, 2012, 1:50 am

Well, listening to Baseball Today podcast from Monday-Thursday today at work they still don't believe. They beat the White Sox 2 out 3 going into the Thursday show and Keith Law stated if they make the playoffs they will be one of the worst playoff teams of all time. I didn't listen to Fridays podcast yet so I don't know if they made any comments about the current series.

On another note, I was listening to WFAN in New York after the game. The media may think the O's are lucky, a fluke, not good, etc. but the Yankees fans sure are panicking. It was great listening to them call in and bash the team and ask how the Orioles found Gonzales and why does he look like Mussina or Palmer lol.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #11 by Matt P » September 1st, 2012, 2:51 am

Actually, it looks like someone over at ESPN is taking notice and not just claiming they are a team of destiny, lucky, or unsustainable.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=8324511

Jose Cruz Jr says it's all about the starting pitching which has been dominant at times, the shut down bullpen, and the HR. He thinks the O's will continue to win and win the AL East.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #12 by birdwatcher55 » September 1st, 2012, 8:48 am

I don't think Valentine has gotten over that 17-inning loss 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Return to Baltimore Orioles