Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

2012 Under The Radar Players

2012 Under The Radar Players

PostPost #1 by Tucker Blair » August 30th, 2012, 10:13 am

http://orioles-nation.com/2012/08/30/20 ... r-players/

The minor league season is coming to a close with a few of the teams in the thick of playoff races. 2012 has been an exhilarating ride for all of baseball, with the surging new set of star prospects, a few new faces in the MLB playoff hunt, and a new Baseball CBA. It’s been a good year in the Orioles minor league system with a few of those star prospects making a name for themselves on a national scale. But what about those players that may not have the allure of a Manny Machado or Dylan Bundy?

Below are a few prospects that I think have flown under the radar in the Orioles’ minor league system. Some of them have been through a few road bumps, while some have simply been forgotten. At the end of the day, these players have displayed skills in some aspect of the game that make them useful assets down the road. I’m not saying they are top prospects, or they are definitely going to produce, but that there are tools some teams in the future may deem useful.

Just a few guys I think have little-to-no buzz this year, but have some skills I like. Nothing to get entirely overworked on, but just wanted to discuss them a little.

Don already touched on a few guys in his Rule 5 piece, but I would have added Aaron Baker to this list as well.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

Re: 2012 Under The Radar Players

PostPost #2 by ofahn » August 30th, 2012, 4:15 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:I would have added Aaron Baker to this list as well

Sure, the power is awesome, but he hasn't been successful above A+ ball and he starts next season at age 25. He'd have to have a monster 250 ABs at Bowie next year followed by another monster 250 ABs at AAA to get the FO to take him seriously.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #3 by Renovator9 » August 30th, 2012, 8:15 pm

I would like to add the name Pat Egan, He has had his bumps, however this year he has produced.
It may be that he does not fit with the Orioles at this point in time. Just look at his record, Arizona fall Ball he did so well
the Brewers picked him up. At Brewers training camp he was outstanding. This year the stats tell the story and yet
he gets no credit. He is not a picher who is going to overpower the hitter with a 98 MPH fast ball. He is a pitcher who also gives no free rides.
Renovator9
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #4 by Matt P » August 31st, 2012, 1:59 am

I'm convinced that Renovator9 is either Pat Egan or is related to him.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #5 by osforlife » August 31st, 2012, 2:16 pm

Matt P wrote:I'm convinced that Renovator9 is either Pat Egan or is related to him.

lol i was going to say the same thing on one of his topics. POINTS!
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #6 by Renovator9 » August 31st, 2012, 7:02 pm

I am only 5' 7" so I am not Pat Egan, and yes I am new to all of this. I only thought that this was a forum where I might get
a little imput. You guys make good politicians LOL. As I said ealier I met him during his rookie year and have followed him,
It is that simple. I am not really a big baseball or sports fan. Have a good night and enjoy the rest of the season.
Renovator9
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #7 by Shorebirdfan » September 1st, 2012, 11:55 am

I think Ward is only under the radar because of the things he brought upon himself this season. The other 3 I completely agree with.

Britton is very versatile, and continues to produce no matter where they put him in the field or the line up. I don't know that he can ever contribute at the big league level, but I'd like to see him challenged at Norfolk next season and see if he can take that next step.

Lots to like about Welty, and certainly recently he has carried Bowie in spots. I don't think his arm is as strong as Tucker does and would like to see him shifted to LF.

One not on the list that I'd like to include is Connor Narron. He has really grown on me this season. Minor has struggled to find him a position to play full time, but his approach at the plate has improved greatly and I'd like to see him in Frederick next season potentially playing 3B.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #8 by Tucker Blair » September 2nd, 2012, 8:59 pm

Shorebirdfan wrote:I think Ward is only under the radar because of the things he brought upon himself this season. The other 3 I completely agree with.

Britton is very versatile, and continues to produce no matter where they put him in the field or the line up. I don't know that he can ever contribute at the big league level, but I'd like to see him challenged at Norfolk next season and see if he can take that next step.

Lots to like about Welty, and certainly recently he has carried Bowie in spots. I don't think his arm is as strong as Tucker does and would like to see him shifted to LF.

One not on the list that I'd like to include is Connor Narron. He has really grown on me this season. Minor has struggled to find him a position to play full time, but his approach at the plate has improved greatly and I'd like to see him in Frederick next season potentially playing 3B.

Narron is a good one. I wish I saw him this season so I could judge him better off of last year. He's a guy that could surprise for next year. Certainly a guy to keep an eye on.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

Return to Minor Leagues