Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Pedroia

Re: Pedroia

PostPost #16 by ofahn » August 29th, 2012, 3:46 pm

Oriole85 wrote:With the new CBA has it pertains to both international/domestic scouting, everyone is essentially on a even-level playing field (in terms of the amateur draft, you are what your record is/how many draft slots you have).

There's a level playing field for what you spend on PLAYERS, but a team can spend ANY amount they want on the quantity and quality of scouts. If I were the Red Sox (or any team that wanted to build a strong farm system) I would spend whatever was necessary to hire as many of the best international scouts as I could and scour the corners of the Earth. For every 2.5M "can't miss" kid from Venezuela there's a scout that finds a Vladimir Guerrero for 45K.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #17 by Oriole85 » August 30th, 2012, 1:16 pm

ofahn wrote:
There's a level playing field for what you spend on PLAYERS, but a team can spend ANY amount they want on the quantity and quality of scouts. If I were the Red Sox (or any team that wanted to build a strong farm system) I would spend whatever was necessary to hire as many of the best international scouts as I could and scour the corners of the Earth. For every 2.5M "can't miss" kid from Venezuela there's a scout that finds a Vladimir Guerrero for 45K.

I got what you're saying but the costs of scouts is relatively small compared to players, executives, and managers. I don't think it's much of an issue (not saying you are saying that). And as you said every team should do that.

Speaking of international prospects, Duquette had a great quote about that saying he'd rather get kids from the DR on the start of their career rather than their finish (a possible shot at getting Vlad last year).
Oriole85
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #18 by ofahn » August 30th, 2012, 1:22 pm

Oriole85 wrote:Speaking of international prospects, Duquette had a great quote about that saying he'd rather get kids from the DR on the start of their career rather than their finish (a possible shot at getting Vlad last year).

Which would lead (I hope) to the Orioles adding another team to the DSL as well as one in the Appalachian League. Then we can spend that 3.2 M allowance on a bunch of those "DR kids". Dan, it's time to put your money where your mouth is.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #19 by birdwatcher55 » August 31st, 2012, 6:17 am

Good question DL 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #20 by birdwatcher55 » September 1st, 2012, 8:50 am

Does Pedroia really want to stay in that mess in Boston??? I would make an aggressive run at him this offseason 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

Previous

Return to Baltimore Orioles