Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Pedroia

Pedroia

PostPost #1 by birdwatcher55 » August 28th, 2012, 5:43 am

I understand this is a longshot and may not be too popular in Baltimore but if Pedroia is available, he would solve our 2B problems. Your thoughts??? 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

Re: Pedroia

PostPost #2 by Tucker Blair » August 28th, 2012, 1:01 pm

I don't see the Red Sox letting him go at all. He's essentially their face of the franchise.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #3 by ofahn » August 28th, 2012, 1:04 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:I don't see the Red Sox letting him go at all. He's essentially their face of the franchise.

...and the fact that the conversation would start with Machado.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #4 by A_K » August 28th, 2012, 1:19 pm

Don't see why he'd be made available. Even after the Gonzaez/Crawford/Beckett trade, the Sox are hardly in the sort of full-scale rebuilding mode where they'd be expected to make every player on the roster available. They're still in a position to go into next season as a potential playoff team who will be picked to finish among the three best teams in the AL East by virtually every expert.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #5 by ofahn » August 28th, 2012, 1:43 pm

A_K wrote:Don't see why he'd be made available. Even after the Gonzaez/Crawford/Beckett trade, the Sox are hardly in the sort of full-scale rebuilding mode where they'd be expected to make every player on the roster available. They're still in a position to go into next season as a potential playoff team who will be picked to finish among the three best teams in the AL East by virtually every expert.

Frankly, I saw this trade as addition by subtraction and think the Sux record will actually improve this year.

Crawford was just a salary dump, but Gonzalez and Beckett were unhappy and needed to move on. The effect in their clubhouse was corrosive and only getting worse. Lackey would have been off loaded, too, by now if wasn't having his arm surgically reattached.

The core of that team is still strong and their farm system will help fill some of the holes. You can bet that Boston will be spending some SERIOUS money on their domestic and international scouting efforts to re stock their farm system. They also have the money to take on some bad contracts that need a change of scenery; however, I would be surprised if they simply tried to be the highest bidder again for players that don't meet a specific need or project to blend well with the other 24 players.

The day the Dodgers and Red Sox made that trade agents all over the country called their mommies and cried. The Sux were probably off of the list of "sucker" teams and LA has to carefully consider any new contract the give out because almost every additional dollar they spend over the next few years will be subject to luxury tax. Players like Josh Hamilton and Edwin Jackson were probably salivating over getting Boston and L A in the bidding wars this winter. I now doubt that will happen.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #6 by A_K » August 28th, 2012, 2:10 pm

Agreed completely. They're still a strong team, and now they have the financial flexibility to improve their roster. Most importantly, they will do so responsibly this time around.

I'm willing to bet they sign Swisher or Konerko at a reasonable salary to come close to approaching Gonzalez's production at first. They'll resign Cody Ross to maintain a solid offensive outfield, and Middlebrooks, Pedroia and Aviles will continue to be a solid infield.

They're going to be a good team next year.
A_K
GCL Orioles

PostPost #7 by birdwatcher55 » August 28th, 2012, 5:52 pm

With the recent blockbuster and Ortiz likely headed elsewhere in 2013, I could see a full scale dump of veterans and that includes Pedroia. I don't think the Red Sox have a face of their franchise right now. I think things are going to change and change rapidly this offseason. Just my two cents 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by A_K » August 29th, 2012, 1:46 am

They'll re-sign Ortiz, bring in Swisher or Konerko at first and sign two starters for reasonable contracts like Edwin Jackson and Marcum. They'll be right back where they were in short order.
A_K
GCL Orioles

PostPost #9 by Matt P » August 29th, 2012, 10:08 am

As a fan I would probably vomit if they ever announced they acquired him. I hate the entire New England area and the only team that is close to my hatred for the Red Sox is the New England Patriots. That being said, I hate Pedroia more than any player in MLB. Not to mention how childish he is and how he could potentially ruin the great chemistry that currently exists in the Baltimore Orioles clubhouse.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #10 by Oriole85 » August 29th, 2012, 3:04 pm

ofahn wrote:The core of that team is still strong and their farm system will help fill some of the holes. You can bet that Boston will be spending some SERIOUS money on their domestic and international scouting efforts to re stock their farm system. They also have the money to take on some bad contracts that need a change of scenery; however, I would be surprised if they simply tried to be the highest bidder again for players that don't meet a specific need or project to blend well with the other 24 players.

With the new CBA has it pertains to both international/domestic scouting, everyone is essentially on a even-level playing field (in terms of the amateur draft, you are what your record is/how many draft slots you have).

It will be an interesting offseason to see if they make any big FA splashes or if they "tear it down" and start over again. I'm not sure they will completely do the latter, I can't imagine their fan-base is going to like taking a year's "hiatus."Obviously the Orioles need to take advantage of this, it's one that is significantly weaker than it usually is.

I got no insights into the LA ownerships finances, but I'll bet they are pretty loaded since they could essentially take on bad contracts to win now. The way I understand it actually seems like a decent deal for them since they didn't have much of a farm system and essentially buys them a few years. At the same time, while it would've been one thing for it to be a complete salary dump, the Dodgers did give the Red Sox some help with legitimate prospects.
Oriole85
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #11 by Oriole85 » August 29th, 2012, 3:06 pm

Matt P wrote:As a fan I would probably vomit if they ever announced they acquired him. I hate the entire New England area and the only team that is close to my hatred for the Red Sox is the New England Patriots. That being said, I hate Pedroia more than any player in MLB. Not to mention how childish he is and how he could potentially ruin the great chemistry that currently exists in the Baltimore Orioles clubhouse.

Not sure why, it's a business, if he can help us win, I'd be pretty happy. I don't think he's that bad of a clubhouse personality, if at all.
Oriole85
DSL Orioles

PostPost #12 by Oriole85 » August 29th, 2012, 3:07 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:With the recent blockbuster and Ortiz likely headed elsewhere in 2013, I could see a full scale dump of veterans and that includes Pedroia. I don't think the Red Sox have a face of their franchise right now. I think things are going to change and change rapidly this offseason. Just my two cents 8-)

The Red Sox are the only team I believe who will give him close to the $$$ he wants. So he could go elsewhere but at a much less rate. I look at this as the Jeter situation from a few years ago.
Oriole85
DSL Orioles

PostPost #13 by birdwatcher55 » August 29th, 2012, 3:18 pm

Konerko will never sign with Boston. He would either go back to Chicago, AZ (where he lives) or retire. Swisher will test the market but will likely stay in New York where he has been successful with the short RF porch. Ortiz is unhappy in Boston with his contract. He doesn't want to go year to year like he has been going with the money. The Red Sox will never give him more than one year and they shouldn't 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #14 by birdwatcher55 » August 29th, 2012, 3:19 pm

I think Pedroia is Buck's kind of player. Just my two cents 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #15 by Oriole85 » August 29th, 2012, 3:22 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:Ortiz is unhappy in Boston with his contract. He doesn't want to go year to year like he has been going with the money. The Red Sox will never give him more than one year and they shouldn't 8-)

What team is giving him a multi-year deal that he accept?
Oriole85
DSL Orioles

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles