Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Manny Machado has been beyond impressive

Re: Manny Machado has been beyond impressive

PostPost #16 by Matt P » August 26th, 2012, 12:56 am

Rising O's wrote:
Hanley Ramirez? Oh that boat sailed before Machado because the O's were scared.


I know it's only been around 100 at bats but Hanley is looking like the Hanley of old in LA. His defense isn't as good as Machado's at 3B but that bat has been hot which many predicted would happen with a change of scenery.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: October 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Reputation Score: 37

Re: Manny Machado has been beyond impressive

PostPost #17 by Old Sneakers » August 26th, 2012, 1:39 am

Matt P wrote:
How can it possibly hurt him long term?


Sometimes prospects come to the majors early and they flounder. Brian Matusz is a bad comparison (being a pitcher) and it is different being a positional player. Am I being paranoid? Perhaps, but I really want to see Machado become a guy that bats .290 or better.

How can it hurt him? I will just take a guess and say that you are giving up on him at SS? Mastering that position takes time and repetition.
User avatar
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 775
Joined: March 2011
Reputation Score: 32

Re: Manny Machado has been beyond impressive

PostPost #18 by Rising O's » August 26th, 2012, 10:52 am

I've only seen a couple of games but Machado looks to have good pitch recognition and covers the plate well. He takes pitches fairly well too. The only flaw is that he sometimes goes out of the strikezone. You don't want to take his aggression away, but you also want to see him take more when those pitches are out of the zone. Overall he looks confident and its just a matter of getting experience and a stronger upper body.

The Orioles have decided that 3rd base is a much bigger need, now and into 2013, and he is their best option. That could change over the winter though. On the physical side his lower body is already big, not sure how much bigger it could get even with age. If he fails to stay in shape it could be a problem. I'm seeing a David Wright type player in Machado once his upper body strength develops. With Hardy at SS for 2 more years, I don't see the downside to this early move to 3rd. He looks so natural out there, I feel in 2 years, he could be moved right back to SS and play at a least league average level if they needed to.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1014
Joined: April 2011
Reputation Score: 10

Re: Manny Machado has been beyond impressive

PostPost #19 by Tucker Blair » August 26th, 2012, 10:56 am

The Orioles were scared just like the other 28 teams were. If you haven't noticed, the Dodgers have gone mildly insane this year (possibly in a positive way, hats off to Magic).

The Orioles could have gotten Hanley, sure. He would have then promptly become a block with him and Hardy there. Not to mention Machado is already just as good if not already better defensively than Hanley at third, and the bat is going to be on Hanley's level (at least this year's level)in just a matter or time. I would love to win now, but sorry I'm not buying the "hurting Machado's development" argument. He is a professional athlete, and a good one at that. I see no reason why playing 3B for a month or two, or even a year, is going to make him suddenly forget how to play SS.


I've seen Machado play so many times in the past two years that I am fully confident in him at the MLB level. More-so than any other player I have seen in a long time. People look WAY too much into numbers. He's been having good AB against major league caliber pitchers. At 20 years old. He's going to have his lumps, but that was expected and I have already seen adjustments from AB to AB, and even within AB. he's faced 2 playoff caliber teams already and some good pitching at that. I'll go out on a limb here and say there is a possibility he could be better than Hanley is right now for next year.

I hope I didn't come off as a jerk in this, but It's one of the topics that really gets me going. I know the Orioles do some crazy things, but I really think this is one area I'm completely fine with how they have handled it.
User avatar
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor
 
Posts: 1602
Joined: October 2011
Location: Elkridge, MD
Reputation Score: 45

Re: Manny Machado has been beyond impressive

PostPost #20 by Matt P » August 26th, 2012, 11:26 am

TuckerBlair89 wrote: I would love to win now, but sorry I'm not buying the "hurting Machado's development" argument. He is a professional athlete, and a good one at that. I see no reason why playing 3B for a month or two, or even a year, is going to make him suddenly forget how to play SS.



Exactly. If he doesn't pan out it won't be because he played 3B in Baltimore for 2 months.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: October 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Reputation Score: 37

Re: Manny Machado has been beyond impressive

PostPost #21 by ofahn » August 26th, 2012, 11:30 am

TuckerBlair89 wrote:I hope I didn't come off as a jerk in this


Anything but...

As usual, you made your point in an objective and logical manner. I don't always agree with your POV, but I pay attention to it because there's a rationale to it.

As for your opinions about Machado and Ramirez, I couldn't agree with you more, nor could I say it any better. POINTS!
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4401
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: Manny Machado has been beyond impressive

PostPost #22 by Jordan Tuwiner » August 26th, 2012, 6:26 pm

Matt P wrote:
How can it possibly hurt him long term?

A lot of prospects do come up to the majors, struggle, and fail to return to the production they once had.

However, I do not think that will happen with Machado because of his approach and mindset.
User avatar
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 2588
Joined: September 2010
Location: Israel
Reputation Score: 57



Re: Manny Machado has been beyond impressive

PostPost #23 by ofahn » August 26th, 2012, 8:17 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:However, I do not think that will happen with Machado because of his approach and mindset.


...and his history of making adjustments at two separate minor league levels. He's even starting to show some adjustments here, now.
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4401
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: Manny Machado has been beyond impressive

PostPost #24 by Matt P » August 26th, 2012, 8:56 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:A lot of prospects do come up to the majors, struggle, and fail to return to the production they once had.

However, I do not think that will happen with Machado because of his approach and mindset.


I don't buy that for a second. If someone comes up, gets exposed, and then doesn't ever reach their potential I do not believe it is all because they had some major league games before they were ready. If anything it should show them what they need to work on.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: October 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Reputation Score: 37

Re: Manny Machado has been beyond impressive

PostPost #25 by jonas winslo » August 27th, 2012, 2:35 pm

Matt P wrote:
How can it possibly hurt him long term?


Less time to season.
jonas winslo
DSL Orioles
 
Posts: 19
Joined: August 2012
Reputation Score: 0

Re: Manny Machado has been beyond impressive

PostPost #26 by Matt P » August 27th, 2012, 9:44 pm

jonas winslo wrote:
Less time to season.

If he needs more seasoning they can always send him back down next year.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: October 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Reputation Score: 37


Previous

Return to Baltimore Orioles

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

cron