Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Orioles Acquire Joe Saunders In Exchange For Lindstrom

Re: Orioles Acquire Joe Saunders In Exchange For Lindstrom

PostPost #31 by birdwatcher55 » August 26th, 2012, 5:37 pm

Lindstrom and PTBNL for Saunders. Everyone happy now??? Looks like a good deal in that it adds depth to our rotation and frees up Arrieta to pitch out the bullpen, where many think his future lies anyways8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #32 by osforlife » August 26th, 2012, 5:48 pm

ofahn wrote:
You might be giving him more value than he's worth. He's a Seventh Inning guy that would earn 4M next year, Just remember, the other 29 teams had to pass up the chance to obtain him for nothing but the remainder of this year's salary for him to have cleared waivers and be traded.

I guess I just like the strong bullpen that has carried us this year.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #33 by ofahn » August 26th, 2012, 6:08 pm

osforlife wrote:I guess I just like the strong bullpen that has carried us this year.

...and there's nothing stopping us from having one just as strong next year. The Padres and Rays have built strong bullpens year after year by using good scouting to find live arms and then putting those players in roles that will maximize their talents; not by paying overrated guys big bucks.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #34 by osforlife » August 26th, 2012, 7:02 pm

ofahn wrote:
...and there's nothing stopping us from having one just as strong next year. The Padres and Rays have built strong bullpens year after year by using good scouting to find live arms and then putting those players in roles that will maximize their talents; not by paying overrated guys big bucks.

Yes and we are not the Rays and Padres. We got steals in Miguel Gonzalez and Stu Pomeranz thanks to an improved scouting department, but I'am guessing our scouting/developing program still isn't as good as the Rays. They are magicians down in Tampa. Although guys like Stu have pitched well in limited innings, we don't know how they will hold up over the course of a season. And in no way, shape, or form will a major league team use the same 7 guys in a bullpen the whole year. So there is nothing wrong with having a guy like Pomeranz as the 8th man that comes up first when someone goes down.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #35 by A_K » August 26th, 2012, 7:26 pm

The bullpen is still strong. We dealt from a position of extreme depth. If you don't like Saunders, that's one thing, but not liking what we gave up doesn't make sense. Lindstrom is nothing but a fungible bullpen arm. Our PTBNL is what I'm worried about at this point. Very concerned it might be Avery or Adams.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #36 by ofahn » August 26th, 2012, 8:12 pm

A_K wrote:Very concerned it might be Avery or Adams.

I don't think it will even be a top 15 prospect. IMO Adams doesn't make that list.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #37 by osforlife » August 27th, 2012, 4:23 pm

A_K wrote:The bullpen is still strong. We dealt from a position of extreme depth. If you don't like Saunders, that's one thing, but not liking what we gave up doesn't make sense. Lindstrom is nothing but a fungible bullpen arm. Our PTBNL is what I'm worried about at this point. Very concerned it might be Avery or Adams.

You have your opinion and I have mine. If we are only going to have Lindstrom for 6 weeks and giving up somebody like Welty for 6 weeks of Saunders I'd be fine with it. If we are going to have Lindstrom for a year and give up somebody like Welty for 6 weeks for Saunders I'd rather have Lindstrom and Welty.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #38 by osforlife » August 27th, 2012, 4:26 pm

ofahn wrote:
I don't think it will even be a top 15 prospect. IMO Adams doesn't make that list.

Adams is our best offensive threat at the second base position going into next year. I would have rather have seen him start at second on Opening Day before Andino. With Adams @ second and Betemit/Davis @ 1st, those are the only two weak defensive positions.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #39 by A_K » August 27th, 2012, 5:50 pm

Keeping in mind of course that having Lindstrom for one more season at $4 million would be a bad thing, not a good thing.
A_K
GCL Orioles

PostPost #40 by osforlife » August 27th, 2012, 7:15 pm

A_K wrote:Keeping in mind of course that having Lindstrom for one more season at $4 million would be a bad thing, not a good thing.

I'd be alright with it. Keeping a very solid reliever in the pen is a good thing. Would we get a better deal on the F/A market?
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #41 by ofahn » August 27th, 2012, 7:37 pm

osforlife wrote:Would we get a better deal on the F/A market?

We won't need to. We have more than enough talent in the farm system that will be ready by Spring Training.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #42 by A_K » August 27th, 2012, 8:32 pm

osforlife wrote:I'd be alright with it. Keeping a very solid reliever in the pen is a good thing. Would we get a better deal on the F/A market?

Well, we acquired O'Day on waivers this time a year ago and Ayala for less in free agency a year ago, and both of them are used in higher leverage situations than Lindstrom right now, so yeah I don't think getting a contribution equal to Lindstrom for less than 4 mill should be a problem at all.
A_K
GCL Orioles

PostPost #43 by Rising O's » August 27th, 2012, 9:34 pm

It looks like Saunders goes right into the playoff hunt fire for us on Wednesday. GL to the oriole fan in him.
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #44 by Matt P » August 27th, 2012, 9:45 pm

A_K wrote:
Well, we acquired O'Day on waivers this time a year ago and Ayala for less in free agency a year ago, and both of them are used in higher leverage situations than Lindstrom right now, so yeah I don't think getting a contribution equal to Lindstrom for less than 4 mill should be a problem at all.

I agree with the part about the 4 million but I'd take Lindstrom over Ayala 10 times out of 10.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #45 by A_K » August 27th, 2012, 11:22 pm

The question isn't Lindstrom or Ayala. It's whether Lindstrom is worth four times (4 mill) what we currently pay Ayala (925 k).
A_K
GCL Orioles

PreviousNext

Return to Baltimore Orioles