Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Brian Matusz and Jake Arrieta could be usefel pieces in September

Re: Brian Matusz and Jake Arrieta could be usefel pieces in September

PostPost #16 by Tucker Blair » August 26th, 2012, 11:26 am

Matt P wrote:Both are now in the bullpen. Good call.

I think he will be really good in the pen. I honestly think he still can start down the road, but I have a lot less doubt of him being successful in the pen.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #17 by Matt P » August 26th, 2012, 11:29 am

I've been a fan of both in the bullpen for sometime now.

Now that he's back I can't wait for some more luck debate :lol:
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #18 by Tucker Blair » August 26th, 2012, 11:30 am

Matt P wrote:I've been a fan of both in the bullpen for sometime now.

Now that he's back I can't wait for some more luck debate :lol:

LOL
I'm pretty excited to see how hard he throws in 1 or 2 inning stretches.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #19 by Matt P » August 26th, 2012, 11:32 am

Yeah that was my first thought when I heard the news. I remember Hernandez went from low - mid 90's to 98+ in the bullpen. Let's hope Arrieta is the same.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #20 by Jordan Tuwiner » August 26th, 2012, 6:27 pm

Matt P wrote:Both are now in the bullpen. Good call.

Thank you!
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #21 by birdwatcher55 » September 4th, 2012, 12:24 pm

Arrieta (along with Matusz) will be useful pieces in someone else's organization next year. Tired of waiting for potential. Just give my more Joe Saunders types!!!!! :lol:
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #22 by Jordan Tuwiner » September 4th, 2012, 3:01 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:Arrieta (along with Matusz) will be useful pieces in someone else's organization next year. Tired of waiting for potential. Just give my more Joe Saunders types!!!!! :lol:

I don't understand why you are in such a rush to get rid of them.

Why would you deal Matusz when his value is this low? Let him enjoy some success form the bullpen, and see what he can do next year with that extra confidence. His stuff looks a lot better in relief; hopefully it translate to the rotation if the stick him back there.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #23 by ofahn » September 4th, 2012, 3:05 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:I don't understand why you are in such a rush to get rid of them.

Why would you deal Matusz when his value is this low? Let him enjoy some success form the bullpen, and see what he can do next year with that extra confidence. His stuff looks a lot better in relief; hopefully it translate to the rotation if the stick him back there.

I think that Arrieta and Matusz COULD be dealt this winter to fill some of the infield holes, but I can see how allowing them to pitch in situations in September where they can showcase their skills will help improve their value.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #24 by birdwatcher55 » September 4th, 2012, 4:02 pm

I don't think Matusz will ever amount to much, simply said. If you want to hang onto him for a situational LH then God Bless. But I would rather deal this so called "potential" for something tangible like Headley, who could be an all-star 3B next year in Camden Yards. Just my two cents 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #25 by LA Detective » September 4th, 2012, 6:01 pm

JA has been on fire his last few starts at AAA after working in the Rick Peterson program. It wouldnt be a shock to see him be used a starter somewhere this month and pitch like we have been waiting for. That being said, I could see him being lights out in the pen as it probalby would add a mph or 2 to his stuff and force him to attack hitters. Watch him pitch big for us down the stretch. I see him fitting in there with Ayala and Oday type roles except maybe for 2 innings.

Matusz has looked very good in his role. He is really attacking hitters.

They are both young and talented. Didnt Jason Hammell comment on how his bullpen experience help him become a better starter? I see this experience helping JA and BM greatly in the future. This isnt permanent. Its just getting the most out of the talent we have in roles needed for the team during a playoff push..
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #26 by Jordan Tuwiner » September 4th, 2012, 6:47 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:I don't think Matusz will ever amount to much, simply said. If you want to hang onto him for a situational LH then God Bless. But I would rather deal this so called "potential" for something tangible like Headley, who could be an all-star 3B next year in Camden Yards. Just my two cents 8-)

I understand that, but Matusz likely is not worth much right now. What exactly do you think they could get in return?
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #27 by birdwatcher55 » September 9th, 2012, 7:26 pm

Arrieta is terrible. Hopefully his time ends soon in Baltimore. Time for a change 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #28 by A_K » September 11th, 2012, 1:08 pm

No well run organization would give up on Matusz or Arrieta. They're young and have experienced success in the league. Perhaps the easiest scavenger hunt assignment in the world of baseball would be to go find young pitchers who had extended rough patches early in their big league careers. Making blanket statements about wanting to get rid of young pitchers is probably the easiest way to out yourself as a reactionary fan with a poor understanding of what it takes to build a deep, talented organization.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #29 by Tucker Blair » September 11th, 2012, 1:58 pm

A_K wrote:No well run organization would give up on Matusz or Arrieta. They're young and have experienced success in the league. Perhaps the easiest scavenger hunt assignment in the world of baseball would be to go find young pitchers who had extended rough patches early in their big league careers. Making blanket statements about wanting to get rid of young pitchers is probably the easiest way to out yourself as a reactionary fan with a poor understanding of what it takes to build a deep, talented organization.

I can think of over 100 off the top of my head. Seriously. Just about every rotation in the MLB has at least one, if not two or three.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #30 by ofahn » September 11th, 2012, 2:43 pm

Successful teams seem to follow these two rules:

1) Young pitching is the most valuable commodity

2) NO player is untouchable if the right deal is offered

Would I trade Matusz and Arrieta? Yes, if I could get the right piece(s) back. The Orioles' FO now has a good reason to consider themselves POTENTIAL contenders in 2013 and need to make their moves this winter with that in mind. Of course, they also have to continue to build the farm system in order to support the teams fielded in 2014 and beyond. Those two needs are not mutually exclusive. Trade from strength to fill areas of weakness.

Besides non impact OFs, the only area of surplus we have in our farm system is pitching, and that has its limits. With Dylan Bundy almost a certain member of the staff next year, and Mike Wright, Bobby Bundy, and Kevin Gausman POTENTIAL members; we can afford to trade Matusz and Arrieta as long as we sign a couple of veterans to one year contracts this winter for depth. Barring a disaster, Wright, the two Bundys, Gausman, and Tyler Wilson could all come to camp in the spring of 2014 as viable candidates for a starting job.

The other asset we have that's expendable is JJ Hardy. Manny Machado has shown he's ready for the show, and SS is the position that maximizes his value. AT LEAST Oakland and Arizona will be aggressively shopping for a SS this winter and both of then have....wait for it....young pitching to trade. We could fill the hole we would have at 3B by trading Hardy and moving Machado by giving SD what we get for Hardy, OR Matusz and Arrieta, OR some combination of the two for Chase Headley.

Hardy is probably a better defender than Headley, but Headley better fits our needs (switch hitter and good OBA) which makes him a BETTER PLAYER FOR US.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PreviousNext

Return to Baltimore Orioles