Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

thoughts on Welty

thoughts on Welty

PostPost #1 by dan72 » August 24th, 2012, 4:49 pm

Just wondered if anyone had an opinion on Ronnie Welty ? Every time I see him he is hitting the ball well. At 24 he Is to old to be in AA, he seems to hit for a nice average despite the fact that his OBP is low and he has 2 count them 2 BB for the entire season. Seems like he could start next year at AAA, any chance he makes it to Baltimore? He has decent power which is something we seem to be lacking for a corner outfielder....
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

Re: thoughts on Welty

PostPost #2 by Tucker Blair » August 24th, 2012, 5:03 pm

Once you get to that level, age isn't extremely relevant unless you are a prospect like Schoop/Machado/etc. I mean that as in, the talent level is not entirely too much better at AAA compared to AA.

I've seen Welty a serious amount over the past 2 years. He really is still a free swinger and will expand the zone. His bat speed is above-average and he is certainly a good athlete. The report on Welty is that the change-up is his kryptonite, and it's pretty much the same case although he has definitely gotten a little better at staying back on it. When he is on his game, he is driving the ball gap to gap. Not a huge fan of him in the field, but it's not really that huge a deal.

He's a good player, but really depends on how the O's view him. He's a guy that probably gets a shot at the MLB at some point in his career.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #3 by ofahn » August 24th, 2012, 5:19 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:Not a huge fan of him in the field

This is just personal taste, but I'd prefer we focus on defense as a requirement before we add a player to the roster.

I could see Welty as a trade chip considering his age and level of play.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #4 by Tucker Blair » August 24th, 2012, 6:19 pm

ofahn wrote:
This is just personal taste, but I'd prefer we focus on defense as a requirement before we add a player to the roster.

I could see Welty as a trade chip considering his age and level of play.

Well I just worry about the bat more because they are not very useful at all in the majors if they cannot hit. Unless they are a SS/C or maybe a legitimate CF. Otherwise I worry more about the bat. I'm not saying I disregard defense, so don't take it that way :)
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #5 by ofahn » August 24th, 2012, 6:34 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:Well I just worry about the bat more because they are not very useful at all in the majors if they cannot hit

No, I understand your logic, I just don't agree with it in every instance. As an example, I would rather have a hitter with an OPS of 50 points LESS that is an exceptional defender than the higher OPS with an average glove. I just feel very strongly about pitching and defense. Fortunately, our best two hitting prospects, Machado and Schoop should be above average to plus defenders depending on which position they end up at. Our third best (Hoes) has the potential of being an above average LF, and our fourth best Avery could be a plus defender. We have some other plus defenders in our system that are still developing their bats.

We can afford slightly softer bats at traditional production positions because we have above average run producers at SS, CF, and C.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #6 by mikezpen » August 25th, 2012, 9:32 am

Unfortunantely, the guy's peripherals (K's/W's) are horrible. Widlansky mite be a better bet for the Majors although he's a bit long in the tooth. Sort of a Howie Clark type w/a bit more power.Check his OBA.
mikezpen
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #7 by osforlife » August 25th, 2012, 10:34 am

Welty sure is slugging the ball. OBP concerns me. I'd start him at AAA next year if he finishes well in Bowie. Widlandsky played well in the 35 games in Norfolk. Not sure why he's not in AAA. Rather see him getting at-bats over Bill Hall and Endy Chavez.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

Return to Minor Leagues