Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

SI.com Power Rankings (O's #21)

SI.com Power Rankings (O's #21)

PostPost #1 by Matt P » August 22nd, 2012, 4:56 pm

These came out on Monday but I haven't been on my computer at all since.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/b ... mlb_bf3_a4

All I can say is ... wow. How the Hell do people still buy this magazine? What an embarrassing list.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

Re: SI.com Power Rankings (O's #21)

PostPost #2 by A_K » August 22nd, 2012, 5:15 pm

SI tried something new and imperfect for power rankings this year. They're based entirely on cumulative WAR-- as provided by fangraphs-- and so can't be changed or altered in any way if it produces a result that's this different from the standings. It's not an example of anti-Oriole bias or SI-writer stupidity, it's an example of people at Fangraphs being so eager to promote their understanding of baseball that they pervert the WAR statistic into a use it was never meant to provide.

I'd also feel guilty if I didn't point out that SI is still home to some of the best living sports writers.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #3 by Matt P » August 22nd, 2012, 5:50 pm

I didn't know that I just saw the list this week when my dad showed it to me. I should have read the italicized writing before the rankings haha. I don't really care about the O's being ranked so low as much as the overall ridiculousness of their rankings. Boston #8, Philadelphia #16, and many others are just silly.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #4 by birdwatcher55 » August 22nd, 2012, 6:14 pm

Use it for motivation 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

Return to Baltimore Orioles