Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

8/22/12 Minor League Gameday Thread

8/22/12 Minor League Gameday Thread

PostPost #1 by Tucker Blair » August 22nd, 2012, 9:29 am

Today's starters:
Norfolk: Jake Arrieta
Bowie: Eddie Gamboa
Frederick: Tyler Wilson
Delmarva: Eduardo Rodriguez
Aberdeen: Branden Kline

I will be at Aberdeen tonight for Kline.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

Re: 8/22/12 Minor League Gameday Thread

PostPost #2 by Tucker Blair » August 22nd, 2012, 12:06 pm

A few signings:

Signed 17 year old OF Yariel Vargas out of Dominican Republic
Signed 20 year old INF Cory Segui. Son of former O David Segui
Signed 22 year old Brett Fantini out of Northern Illinois.

Segui and Fantini were assigned to the GCL Orioles.

Don’s Thoughts on Vargas:

Decent size, wiry frame, little bit of load and quick hand drop left him a little elongated through the zone; level swing, finds barrel. Good lower half and balanced approach, decent bat speed; Profiles as a corner OF, more likely can settle in RF as a professional.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #3 by Tucker Blair » August 22nd, 2012, 9:48 pm

Just got back from Aberdeen.

Branden kline showed some good stuff tonight. Primarily threw his fastball, Sat 90-94. Curve Ball around 76, 2 Sliders mid 80's. Something that resembled a cutter (which he does throw) looked nice on the outside corner.

Best pitch of the night was a Change up at 83 MPH which he buried on the lower outside corner to a righty. Filthy. Worst pitch was the solo HR he gave up. Belt high fastball at 91 MPH.

Josh Hader has some serious movement on his pitches. His fastball was absolutely terrific. His curve had a nice drop to it and he made the lefty at the plate look absolutely foolish on it. The curve is what he recorded the K on. I wish I could have seen him for more than one inning though.

Manuel Hernandez looked good at the plate, for the little time I saw him. Some solid bat speed there, crushed a Double to LF. Other than that, not much else to really say on him, since first time seeing in person.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #4 by mcpd » August 23rd, 2012, 1:27 pm

You think Hader ends up as a starter or reliever ? And thanks for all the information from you and Jordan. It's nice to have the extra information on players .
mcpd
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 1

PostPost #5 by Jordan Tuwiner » August 23rd, 2012, 1:51 pm

mcpd wrote:You think Hader ends up as a starter or reliever ? And thanks for all the information from you and Jordan. It's nice to have the extra information on players .

I really liked Hader's stuff and I spoke to a scout who believes he can start. There is some projection too which also increases his chances to stick in a rotation.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Return to Minor Leagues