Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Has Tillman finally turned a corner?

Re: Has Tillman finally turned a corner?

PostPost #16 by Matt P » August 6th, 2012, 9:31 pm

ofahn wrote:
Actually, yes. It would involve making a major adjustment to your diet and 3M to 4M in exercise calories per day for at least 120 days. Bucket Squats, running stairs, and 6K running alternated daily with 15K on a bike. A lean high protein diet. Fish, poultry, and limited red meat. Vegetables and whole grains.

In essence, my years from 18 to 21 wearing a beanie, "snooping and pooping" and "eating snakes". Hooh Ra!! Good times.

He would be better off just lifting than doing all that cardio if the goal is to add muscle.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #17 by ofahn » August 6th, 2012, 9:42 pm

Matt P wrote:He would be better off just lifting than doing all that cardio if the goal is to add muscle.

The trick is to do both. Add muscle AND stamina.

I trained to hump an 80 pound pack over 50 miles in rough terrain. That requires both strength and endurance.

Look at the traditional power pitching workhorse. Denny McLain, Bob Gibson, Juan Marichal, Steve Busby, Steve Carlton, Nolan Ryan, Mike Flanigan, CC Sabathia, etc, etc. They all had massive leg and glut muscles.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #18 by mikezpen » August 7th, 2012, 7:40 am

Tillman has surprised me. Two months ago, I w/have used him as part of a package to get a hitter or starting pitcher.Whether he's turned a corner for good, I don't know.I really think you have to wait till at least the early part of next year to be sure.
mikezpen
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #19 by Ampontan » August 7th, 2012, 7:50 am

ofahn wrote:If he works with Brady Anderson to put on ten pounds of muscle from the waist down this winter and he could rack up six or seven complete games next year.

I thought he worked out with Anderson last winter. That's one reason why he's throwing harder now.
Ampontan
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #20 by ofahn » August 7th, 2012, 7:52 am

Ampontan wrote:
I thought he worked out with Anderson last winter. That's one reason why he's throwing harder now.

Tillman was so soft that six weeks of training over one winter isn't going to get the job done. If he wants to maximize his potential he's going to have go "hard core".
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #21 by mikezpen » August 7th, 2012, 8:00 am

The velo improvement has definitely impressed me. He had really slipped badly.
mikezpen
DSL Orioles

PostPost #22 by Rising O's » August 7th, 2012, 9:32 am

How'd his changeup look?
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #23 by docjj » August 22nd, 2012, 8:39 am

I'd say he has. That was a potent Texas lineup that he held in check. Good for him. I was about to give up on him last year. We needed someone to step up, and he answered the call.
docjj
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #24 by Adam Wolff » August 22nd, 2012, 9:43 am

Love what I'm seeing from Tillman so far. There aren't many more difficult tasks than going into Texas and facing that lineup and he was absolutely up for the challenge.

I had basically written him off, but happy to say I was wrong! Hopefully he can keep the momentum going and finish strong.
@AdamWolff
Adam Wolff
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 4

PostPost #25 by birdwatcher55 » August 22nd, 2012, 11:38 am

I will be a Tillman convert when he routinely goes 7-8 innings and throws 100 pitches or less. Until then, I have my doubts 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #26 by A_K » August 22nd, 2012, 1:25 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:I will be a Tillman convert when he routinely goes 7-8 innings and throws 100 pitches or less. Until then, I have my doubts 8-)

So you'll believe that he's good not a moment sooner than when he becomes one of the 20 best pitchers in baseball?
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #27 by osforlife » August 22nd, 2012, 4:35 pm

Besides the two fastballs covered in lipstick and eyeliner to Kinsler and Soto, Tillman pitched VERY WELL. If he goes the rest of the season pitching like this, I'll say he has turned the corner. Never know for sure with young pitchers. I thought Matusz turned the corner in the 2nd half of 2010.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 58

PostPost #28 by Matt P » August 22nd, 2012, 4:37 pm

Maybe it's because none of the other cavalry members have panned out and my expectations are low for any of them, maybe its because I always expect the worst when it comes the O's, or maybe he actually did do really good yesterday. Either way, I was very impressed with his outing yesterday. The curveball looked great and going 6.2 giving up 3er against that Texas lineup was awesome.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #29 by Matt P » August 29th, 2012, 10:05 am

I think it's safe to say he is our #3 starting pitcher.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #30 by ofahn » September 3rd, 2012, 10:24 am

Let's hope that his elbow issue is nothing serious; however, I just CRINGE when I hear a power pitcher has some elbow "discomfort".
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PreviousNext

Return to Baltimore Orioles