Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

8/21/12 Minor League Gameday Thread

Re: 8/21/12 Minor League Gameday Thread

PostPost #16 by orioles » August 21st, 2012, 6:57 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:
I've seen Parry and Coffey now.

Have no clue on Hader, just assuming he should pitch one of the next two nights since it's been a while for him.
Kline and Rutledge will only be going 3 innings at most I assume.

What were your impressions of Parry and Coffey?
orioles
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 1

PostPost #17 by Tucker Blair » August 21st, 2012, 7:03 pm

orioles wrote:
What were your impressions of Parry and Coffey?

Coffey's velocity is obviously a concern. I talked about him a little on the podcast episode 1. I'm in a wait and see approach with him. His secondary pitches are actually OK. Just need to gain back velocity in order to go anywhere. Talent is there.

Parry is a little stiff on his release but the talent is evident there too. He has some nice movement on his 2S fastball and he was working when I saw him at Aberdeen. Depending on how he fills out down the road, I could see a tick or two in velocity, which would obviously make him better. It's more about working out the mechanics with Parry (which is usually always the case with young pitchers). Should be curious to see where they start him at and whether in the pen or rotation. I think he works either way.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #18 by mcpd » August 21st, 2012, 7:41 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:Is Tim Berry on our radar screen now?? 8-)

Why did you ask that because he had a bad outing tonight? You're joking right?
mcpd
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 1

PostPost #19 by Tucker Blair » August 21st, 2012, 9:01 pm

Michael Ohlman has reached base in 17 consecutive games. Really have to be impressed with his turn-around this season. He went from being relatively disappointing to an excitement. He's catching more and more as the second half goes on, and the bat is on fire.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #20 by Shorebirdfan » August 21st, 2012, 10:09 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:Michael Ohlman has reached base in 17 consecutive games. Really have to be impressed with his turn-around this season. He went from being relatively disappointing to an excitement. He's catching more and more as the second half goes on, and the bat is on fire.

I was just talking to Jordan about him. I cannot say enough about his performance this season. I think he has only had 3 games since his comeback that he has not gotten on base on if I recall correctly one of them he subbed in late and went 0-1. His OPS is up more than .200 over last season. He looks better behind the plate. More in control, more in command.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #21 by Shorebirdfan » August 21st, 2012, 10:12 pm

On Delmarva, also have been really impressed with Roderick Bernadina . Yes he is a free swinger, don't know how much that will change over time, but when he makes contact you better duck, because he hits it hard. Has been finding the gaps and holes to this point. Defense has actually impressed me somewhat too. He has some tools for the organization to work with.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #22 by Tucker Blair » August 21st, 2012, 10:30 pm

Shorebirdfan wrote:On Delmarva, also have been really impressed with Roderick Bernadina . Yes he is a free swinger, don't know how much that will change over time, but when he makes contact you better duck, because he hits it hard. Has been finding the gaps and holes to this point. Defense has actually impressed me somewhat too. He has some tools for the organization to work with.

I really am excited to see him with a full season there (or half a season depending on how he does next year).
Like you said, he is fun to watch. Looks like he might be one of those guys that just gets better with the competition level.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #23 by Jordan Tuwiner » August 21st, 2012, 11:47 pm

mcpd wrote:
What do you think of Berry? You think he could be close to top 10 for oriole prospects by the time the season over?

He's in the 10-15 range.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #24 by Jordan Tuwiner » August 21st, 2012, 11:50 pm

Berry didn't have his best outing, but he flashed some good stuff.

The two home runs against him were more good from the hitter than bad by Berry. The same hitter hit both of the HRs and they were both outside fastballs that were fair by maybe 5 feet, possibly less.

His curveball has some really nice bite to it and he had pretty good command of his changeup.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Previous

Return to Minor Leagues