Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Matusz done as a starter?

Re: Matusz done as a starter?

PostPost #16 by Adam Wolff » August 16th, 2012, 1:06 pm

ofahn wrote:
Is that Slash?

Yessir!
@AdamWolff
Adam Wolff
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 4

PostPost #17 by ofahn » August 16th, 2012, 1:14 pm

dan72 wrote:I don't see the Orioles getting anything for him......

I think his trade value might surprise you.

He's still young. He's left handed. He's been successful at the ML level. The demand for young pitching FAR exceeds the supply. Baltimore's player development system is still considered flawed so some team might think they know better than us.

We'll see what happens this winter.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #18 by Matt P » August 19th, 2012, 11:17 pm

1ip 2h 2er 2bb 1k 1 wild pitch and 1 balk today for Norfolk.

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roc ... games.html
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #19 by birdwatcher55 » August 21st, 2012, 6:34 am

Romero is horrible. I wonder if Phillips is headed here soon?? 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #20 by Adam Wolff » August 21st, 2012, 8:29 am

Matt P wrote:1ip 2h 2er 2bb 1k 1 wild pitch and 1 balk today for Norfolk.

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roc ... games.html

It takes some trying to fill out a box score like that in 1 inning. Wow. So far, the Matusz to the pen experiment isn't making anyone look good.
@AdamWolff
Adam Wolff
DSL Orioles

PostPost #21 by ofahn » August 21st, 2012, 8:45 am

Adam Wolff wrote:
It takes some trying to fill out a box score like that in 1 inning. Wow. So far, the Matusz to the pen experiment isn't making anyone look good.

So far this season, Matusz doing ANYTHING isn't making anyone look good.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #22 by legmason » August 21st, 2012, 9:40 am

I still think that Matusz has some value and whether that's in the bullpen or the rotation I see no reason to rush to a conclusion on a young lefty and cut him after this year. He still has 2 more years of service time left and keep in mind he's only 25. Obviously the key to him getting better is his mentality. If he is indeed hesitant to accept some changes than he'll seal his own fate. Having him stashed in Norfolk for the next two years and hoping he becomes more humble and figures it out is just fine for me. That's what AAA is for. It's a bummer that this is where a former first round pick is at this point in his career but as other younger pitching prospects like Bundy and Gausman pass him in the depth chart for the major league rotation maybe he'll decide that he needs to change his approach.

time will tell but I'm willing to wait for someone whom I still feel has plenty of talent that's worth salvaging. He has a great changeup and he had good command and control not only 2 years ago so we'll see.
legmason
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #23 by ofahn » August 21st, 2012, 9:51 am

legmason wrote:Having him stashed in Norfolk for the next two years and hoping he becomes more humble and figures it out is just fine for me. That's what AAA is for.

COULD NOT AGREE MORE!
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #24 by Old Sneakers » August 21st, 2012, 12:34 pm

Honestly I still say it's premature to say he's done as a starter. He could easily become a quality #4 or even #5 guy. Yes, he's had three years to get it right but he was rushed to the majors rather stupidly by Andy McPhail. Why? Because the staff he had in place was absolutely abysmal. He looked just fine in AA Bowie and should have been left to develop. He was labeled "Top of the Rotation" then "Potential Ace" as his ceiling a few years ago and we all would have accepted a middle of the rotation guy as a floor. What happened? Why it happened? What changed? All that doesn't matter. He needs to sit in the minor leagues and prove he's ready. If his ceiling is now a league average starter or even long relief then so be it. But he better figure out how to get through an inning in fifteen pitches, as I do not think he ever had stellar velocity.

Now after two appearances as a reliever the results do not look favorable. OK. Can this guy pitch at all?

To me this just shows why the organization needs to remain focused on acquiring starting pitching in the off-season. Chen and Hammels were great acquisitions for the club. They will need to do that again this year. The Draft and better development of prospects is going to remain the best way the club can help itself.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #25 by jonas winslo » August 21st, 2012, 12:35 pm

Maybe he'll find a spot in relief. He'll only need 10 pitches which is fortunate becaue that's about all he's got.
jonas winslo
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #26 by ofahn » August 21st, 2012, 1:23 pm

Old Sneakers wrote:Now after two appearances as a reliever the results do not look favorable. OK. Can this guy pitch at all?

My take on his performance over the last month is he needs a fresh start somewhere else (we could spend WEEKS debating the reasons), and I think he will get it this winter.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #27 by ofahn » August 21st, 2012, 1:52 pm

He did pitch a scoreless Eighth today although it took him 19 pitches to get the job done.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #28 by Adam Wolff » August 21st, 2012, 4:18 pm

ofahn wrote:He did pitch a scoreless Eighth today although it took him 19 pitches to get the job done.

Better than the prior outings, at least. Might be baby steps with him.
@AdamWolff
Adam Wolff
DSL Orioles

PostPost #29 by Matt P » August 22nd, 2012, 9:46 pm

1ip 3k tonight for Matusz on 16 pitches.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

Previous

Return to Baltimore Orioles